Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
Youtube casting was buggy when it debuted in the updated YouTube app a few months ago. Now it has been perfected. Casting is instant and so is fast forwarding or skipping.

To my surprise on the Apple TV it's a lot faster than Airplay. Neither do the video stop if I close the YouTube app on my phone or watch a video in the browser.

What's great is that if you download Google home on your iPhone or iPad, you can cast to the Apple TV and enjoy the benefits casting has over airplay.

All that's missing is 4K YouTube and I'll unlikely ever have to buy a Chromecast for my living room TV.

Macaronis

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
[QUOTE="Macalicious2011, post: 26000861, member: 574900”]
What's great is that if you download Google home on your iPhone or iPad, you can cast to the Apple TV and enjoy the benefits casting has over airplay.

All that's missing is 4K YouTube and I'll unlikely ever have to buy a Chromecast for my living room TV.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain how downloading google home and casting to Apple TV works? I have a google home mini and Apple TV but have no idea what you mean and google isn’t helping.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
[QUOTE="Macalicious2011, post: 26000861, member: 574900”]

All that's missing is 4K YouTube and I'll unlikely ever have to buy a Chromecast for my living room TV.

Can you explain how downloading google home and casting to Apple TV works? I have a google home mini and Apple TV but have no idea what you mean and google isn’t helping.[/QUOTE]

Casting is similar to Airplay but is more device agnostic. If you have a Chromecast you can cast a YouTube, iPlayer or Netflix video from your phone/tablet to your TV. This works on android devices, Apple devices and even the chrome browser on Macs and PCs.

On iPhone and iPads all you have to do is download the google home app. If you have an Apple TV it means that you can browse YouTube videos on almost any device and cast them to the Apple TV.

As I mentioned earlier, castings biggest advantage over airplay is that it’s more immediate and doesn’t get interrupted if you get a phone call, restart or watch a video in a different app on your phone. This is because casting doesn’t stream videos from your phone and sends the feed to thr Apple TV. Instead, it send a URL or address which the Apple TV plays the vide from. Therefore, whatever video is playing, continues even your phone disconnects from the WiFi network.

Lastly, you can cats your phone but then pause or rewind from Mac or other device in the house.

Long term. I am hoping that casting on the Apple TV will be supported for other apps than just YouTube.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
This is great news! Airplay is a PITA and the YouTube app on the APPLE tV has a terrible search interface. This solves both those issues.

Macaronis

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
@Macalicious2011 oh I see, you're saying that just the Youtube app itself supports "casting" to Apple TVs, I missed that. But I think what's actually happening is Google added Airplay support to the Youtube app? If not, can you explain the steps for "casting" to an Apple TV within the Youtube app? (E.g. here's the process for "Airplaying" to an Apple TV: https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how-to/youtube-101-cast-videos-your-tv-0178653/)

Casting from my Android phone to the Apple TV is dead simple. I just watch a video and press the casting symbol.

No. Google have not added Airplay support, instead they have added casting support to the Youtube app on the Apple TV.

Macaronis

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
... not Youtube on iOS + Youtube on Apple TV. Hope it comes to iOS soon!
YT app on iOS has supported Chromecast for some time already. At least I've been able to cast from my iPhone YT app directly to my AndroidTV-based Bravia, so aTV not even needed.

Macaronis

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
@priitv8 iOS Youtube doesn't support Google-casting to an Apple TV, which is what this thread is about. Only Airplay which is worse (see the linked thread: "You can queue a video from any phone or device, it’s much faster, it’s Full HD (Airplay defaults to 720p when from iPhone) and a phone call won’t break your video.")

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
@priitv8 iOS Youtube doesn't support Google-casting to an Apple TV, which is what this thread is about. Only Airplay which is worse (see the linked thread: "You can queue a video from any phone or device, it’s much faster, it’s Full HD (Airplay defaults to 720p when from iPhone) and a phone call won’t break your video.")
I get that.
What I don't get is why would I cast to appleTV, if I can cast directly to my smart-TV?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
I would have done the same ;) but could not get hold of anything dumb.
My choice was forced.

Bravia's with Android TV were suffering from bugs, freezing and random restarts. Samsung TVs either suffered from input lag, low refresh rate, no HDCP 2.2 support, poor viewing angles or the models I wanted were too expensive.

Finding the right TV wouldn't be as much of a problem. However OLEDs are still as expensive as they were in late 2016.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Oh I see. It's probably only available on Youtube on Android + Youtube on Apple TV right now, not Youtube on iOS + Youtube on Apple TV. Hope it comes to iOS soon! Edit: actually, it's probably not going to come to iOS since it's Android-specific... but maybe Airplay 2 will have the same benefits.

[doublepost=1525382468][/doublepost]More on this Android feature: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/7w0urh/cast_to_apple_tv_now_appears_with_the_new_youtube/
On my iPad the cast button when tapped shows Airplay and other Blootooth devices. So yes it looks like it is available on iOS devices.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Mine stopped working. It won’t show up to cast in any apps. Not in Netflix or YouTube. It was working the other day. Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.