Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver78

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
youtube in safari became really great with ios 13 but recently when ever you touch the video it will pause which is very annoying and difficult to get to play again. also i think the play/pause button is too small

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
youtube in safari became really great with ios 13 but recently when ever you touch the video it will pause which is very annoying and difficult to get to play again. also i think the play/pause button is too small
If you're on an iPad, long-press to resume after pausing - seems to work fine on my iPad Air 3. If this works you shouldn't have to use that tiny Play/Pause button any longer. My iPhone XR seems to show Play/Pause button in the center of the screen with a single tap. I'm guessing this difference has to do with the way iPad renders desktop mode, but I could be wrong.

Silver78

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
i think the response on that long press is so bad. why not just press to play and press to pause.
even if you touch the screen during a scrolling motion it will pause.
before i could press the screen to activate bottom menu now it will pause also

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
i think the response on that long press is so bad. why not just press to play and press to pause.
even if you touch the screen during a scrolling motion it will pause.
before i could press the screen to activate bottom menu now it will pause also
Yeah, the interface could definitely benefit from some attention, but I'm not sure if that is a Safari problem or a YouTube problem. The long-press can be done anywhere on the video, whereas the play button in iPadOS is small and difficult to hit every time. I doubt Google are in any hurry to resolve any Safari issues because both Safari and iOS/iPadOS are competing products.

Silver78

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Yeah, the interface could definitely benefit from some attention, but I'm not sure if that is a Safari problem or a YouTube problem. The long-press can be done anywhere on the video, whereas the play button in iPadOS is small and difficult to hit every time. I doubt Google are in any hurry to resolve any Safari issues because both Safari and iOS/iPadOS are competing products.
After ios 13 youtube in safari became better so i assume apple also was to blame.
Google wants to push you to their app and to pay for youtube red so their job is to make the experience horrible in safari ... and yes also to chrome so they can sell your data

Reactions: revmacian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.