Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JanErik75

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Norway
Is it just me, or are most of the M1 YouTube reviews somewhat lacking? No one even mentions how USB peripherals work with these new Macs. You'd think some of them would at least say a word or two about driver compatibility and such. But nope. They just run Geekbech, export a 4K video in FCP and call it a day.

I have a Drobo 5D, an Epson v550 scanner and a Wacom Intuos tablet. How will devices such as these work with the new ASi Macs?

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I don't understand why you are particularly concerned about M1 devices.
Peripherals compatibility is determined by Drivers, so the main issue here (if there is one) will come from Big Sur, regardless of the hardware architecture.

Reactions: Jimmy James

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well, I was just thinking about the question of peripherals regarding an M1 MacMini I have on order. I am a bit nervous as too whether (or how well) it will work with my two existing Dell monitors, Logitech keyboard & mouse, AudioQuest Dragonfly USB-DAC/Amp etc.

As a “worry” bonus if the Dell monitors need a firmware upgrade I have no way of doing it as my household bans Windows machines:p

Maybe it is, as Wando64 says, it really is up to Big Sur. In the meantime I continue to look lovingly on my 2015 27” iMac, built-in screen, and a good number of ports (though not the latest, greatest ports). “Any port in a storm”:D

Reactions: JanErik75

mathpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
I have a M1 Mini, and my Canon LiDE 210 scanner does not show up in Image Capture. It does work with my MacBook (Intel) running Big Sur, though, so it seems the drivers are not there (yet) for the M1. I've had this scanner for quite a while, and it's always just worked plugging it into a USB port, with the drivers built-in to macOS. Hopefully this will continue to be the case with Apple Silicon Macs. I am running macOS 11.1 beta on the M1 Mini, but not on the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.