Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
most people don’t even seem to care about music quality.
I'd would also add that someone that would pay for Youtube Music isn't an audiophile to begin with. An audiophile would go to Tidal or Stick with Apple Music or one of the other HiFi music streaming services. Mainstream users just care about the convenience and it sounds good enough.

Reactions: iHorseHead and max2

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Whatever streaming platform you choose, there will always be platform-exclusive and region-locked content...

I listen to some Japanese songs, others used as opening and ending theme in Japanese shows and anime, but in my local YouTube version, I cannot access official uploads and I only knew this when I used a VPN...

As an example, try the keywords aioraito joy

The intended result is either the YouTube Music version or the PV [promotional video] for the song, however I only get the official YouTube Music version and not the music video uploaded by Sony Music Japan... If you are able to access the music video, then your country is one of those that are allowed to access that, my country is not in that list...

If you are not familiar with the song, this is the YouTube link accessible to where I am located: Aioraito

For music only, my choice would be Spotify... I also like that Apple Music has the official PV [promotional video] for the song unlike in YouTube where you have to dig deeper or even use a VPN to find the official upload since the usual first few results are user uploaded content that uses the song I was looking for [which was the original intention of YouTube, content uploaded by users, after failing to become/grow as a dating site]

But then again, a VPN is your friend for region-locked content... This does not only apply to music... Even full episodes of WWE Raw and WWE Smackdown on YouTube are only accessible when you are in a particular country...

In terms of recommending similar song/content, YouTube and Spotify are two of the best when it comes to their algorithm... Apple Music has more of a recommendation by human [or their algorithm is not as strong as YouTube and Spotify]

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Youtube music's design has always felt weird to me. Like why am I able to access performances recorded at concerts by third parties and listen to them alongside the original? Isn't this just diluting the revenue the artistes would get?

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Apple Music here (as I’m sharing Apple One with three other people) and Sirius XM as long as they continue to honor $5/mo.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Youtube music's design has always felt weird to me. Like why am I able to access performances recorded at concerts by third parties and listen to them alongside the original? Isn't this just diluting the revenue the artistes would get?
It’s an absolute mess.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
People are doing way too much to drag YT music.
It‘s true that its recommendations are far superior to that of both Spotify and Apple Music, the latter being complete and utter garbage.
The UI of Apple Music is terrible.

I currently use both Apple Music to enjoy Dolby Atmos when I want to sit and enjoy music through my Sony headphones via my iPad Pro. But when I am using my phone I will just use YT Music and I love the benefit of being able to use YT videos (live performances etc), as ’audio only’ to add to playlists etc.

They each have pros and cons but YT Music is definitely a good option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.