Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
youtube isn’t working on the 600mhz iMac g3/1gb ram. I use TenFourFox, and the video doesn’t play well it stutters and freezes and sometimes crashes or doesn’t load at all. Any tips for better video streaming? Is there any way to play YouTube using a web browser on the G3 like you can do on the G4’s?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
youtube isn’t working on the 600mhz iMac g3/1gb ram. I use TenFourFox, and the video doesn’t play well it stutters and freezes and sometimes crashes or doesn’t load at all. Any tips for better video streaming? Is there any way to play YouTube using a web browser on the G3 like you can do on the G4’s?

Follow this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/changes-at-youtube.2162551/

In short, Safari with a different user agent. It will work on your iMac as it works on my 500Mhz iMac.

There are also many other solutions if you search Youtube against my username on this forum.

By the way, the best solution for Youtube - SMTube - will not work for you, it's not compatible with G3.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Follow this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/changes-at-youtube.2162551/

In short, Safari with a different user agent. It will work on your iMac as it works on my 500Mhz iMac.

There are also many other solutions if you search Youtube against my username on this forum.

By the way, the best solution for Youtube - SMTube - will not work for you, it's not compatible with G3.
Okay, but is there any way to play the video normally in a browser on the G3 like you would on a modern pc or mac? I've seen old youtube videos of videos running fine on the imac, playing in the browser. Like this video:

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Yes - you just read the thread and it's all there.
I read the thread, but it doesn't mention anything about playing videos without any added software. I'm just asking is there any way to get youtube playing in a normal web browser (like tenfourfox) at www.youtube.com without going to a mobile site or quicktime. I wanna use the desktop site on the G3.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I read the thread, but it doesn't mention anything about playing videos without any added software. I'm just asking is there any way to get youtube playing in a normal web browser (like tenfourfox) at www.youtube.com without going to a mobile site or quicktime. I wanna use the desktop site on the G3.

Adding a mobile user agent to Safari or Omniweb isn't adding extra software and the result is you can browse in the normal way and get instant playback.
The 'desktop' version of Youtube is far too heavy and riddled with javascript for a G3 and the default HTML5 video playback is also beyond a G3.
In short, what you ask is now impossible.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Oh okay, so that explains why my video skips every second. Surprised the video can even load at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.