Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I have an 12.9 ipad and I have more than 50% error presses with the UI on youtube.
can’t touch the screen without the video pause, skipping forward or back is useless.
It also makes safari freeze, and if i try to hit the fullscreen button I will skip to the end of the video by accident.
It is useless and extremely frustratin.
Is it google or apple that ruins this experience !?
I can imagine the hell people on a smaller ipad go through.... why is it like this?

The app is not for me because I hate ads and then I will simply not use youtube.. so this is only choice for me.

and no I will not use chrome and youtube red does not exist in my country.. also paying for youtube red is more or less extortion money in my opinion.

How does everyone watch youtube on their ipad? do not tell me everyone uses the horrible app for that?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I agree, YouTube always seems terrible on Safari, yet some people swear by it.

I don’t mind the app. Only thing it lacks for me is keyboard shortcuts for play/pause etc. Not fussed about PIP, I never use it in other apps as I prefer split screen anyway.

Admittedly, I have YouTube Premium which helps. I use Google Music. I’d never pay for a music sub alone, I don’t use it enough, but no ads + music means I get value from it.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a big Youtube watcher but I have no issues with it in Safari on my iPP 10.5 or the few times when I use it on my iPhone X. I uninstalled the app about a year ago. I prefer it on Safari mainly because it supports PiP.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I experience the same issues as OP with YouTube since updating my iPad Pro 9.7” to iPadOS 13. I find setting safari to “request mobile website” for youtube helps. PIP mode works even with request mobile website.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Check out the app "Ivory" on the App Store. It's a little gem that does no ads, background playback, pip, etc and somehow hasn't been taken down. I use it on my iPhone though so idk if it has an iPad version.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Check out the app "Ivory" on the App Store. It's a little gem that does no ads, background playback, pip, etc and somehow hasn't been taken down. I use it on my iPhone though so idk if it has an iPad version.

It's available for $4. Doesn't it only support 720p?

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
The best app for YouTube was ProTube. Everything like in Premium was available there. Until Apple removed it.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
It's available for $4. Doesn't it only support 720p?

Oh wow I didn't know it costs money now. I don't remember paying for t. It appears it is limited to 720p but I only use it on my iPhone so doesn't really bother me since my screen isn't 1080 anyway.
[automerge]1586628887[/automerge]
The best app for YouTube was ProTube. Everything like in Premium was available there. Until Apple removed it.

I don't think Apple removed ProTube. If I remember correctly the developer had to stop developing it and putting it on the App Store because of changes Google made to the YouTube API and taking down any third party clients that offered features YouTube Red had. It was right around the time Google was pushing YouTube Red hard and obviously didn't want any third party applications where people could get the same features for free.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
coming from a person using android all my life to have a iPhone for 3 days now I can't believe how many ads one video on YouTube could have sheesh, I miss youtube Vanced lol

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I always use desktop mode because i think mobile mode was to much waste of space on ipad 12.9 but now i no longer see a mobile option.
I also think that safari have become sluggish after latest update (ipad 12,9 gen1)

But honestly it feels more like sabotage than an accident with youtube on safari.. my error presses is actually way above 50% .... I feel so annoyed by this!!

barry.pearson

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2016
England
On my 12.9" iPad I use the YouTube app if I'm just watching YouTube and nothing else, or if I'm doing something else and want YouTube playing while I work I'll visit the website and load the video in PiP mode. I agree that it's annoying pausing the video when you just want to skip ahead a little, but I can't say I have any issues with excessive ads?

When using the site through Safari I will typically get 2 ads with the option of skipping after 5 seconds (unless they're particularly short ads). Skipping the first ad will typically skip the second ad entirely.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
I blame Google for this because it used to be fine.

I still won't use their app though no matter how many times they try to sabotage Youtube viewing in Safari on iPad OS: content blockers forever.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
I blame Google for this because it used to be fine.

I still won't use their app though no matter how many times they try to sabotage Youtube viewing in Safari on iPad OS: content blockers forever.
just use brave brower it works better for me than safari

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
just use brave brower it works better for me than safari

In my experience Chromium browsers have their share of problems too with phantom touches, touches not being registered and single touches being interpreted as double touches on Youtube. If anything it's worse than on Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.