Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waqas

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
On my Apple TV 4K (1st gen), which I have set up to pair with one HomePod mini, when I play YouTube videos at double the playback speed, I don't get the sound to properly sync since I am doubled on my speed of playback. The whole sound experience gets real choppy. Is it something people here have seen?

Reactions: triom

Merutheeme

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
On my Apple TV 4K (1st gen), which I have set up to pair with one HomePod mini, when I play YouTube videos at double the playback speed, I don't get the sound to properly sync since I am doubled on my speed of playback. The whole sound experience gets real choppy. Is it something people here have seen?
I have the same problem with two HomePod minis and the Apple TV 4K 2nd generation. When using 2x or increased speed playback the audio is garbled! This doesn’t happen With AirPod pros, Beats fit pro buds or other Bluetooth speakers.

Apple please fix this!!!

waqas

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
I have a feeling this may be limited by the chips or the bluetooth in either the HomePod mini or the Apple TV 4K 1st gen that I have.

waqas

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
Could be. I’m surprised there are so few posts about this. Does this happen with you on Apple’s own shows too? For me it may have been YT specific but I’d have to recheck. If it is YT specific I doubt apple can do anything about it or would even care to.

Radin.Y

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Michigan
I have the same issue. It is not just at 2x speed. It gets choppy at any faster speed than 1x. It is very annoying.
I don't think this is just BT connection, it has something to do with YouTube app itself. When I play videos at 2x speed on Safari on my Mac and use the two HomePods paired with Apple TV, the sounds comes quite as you'd expect.

waqas

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Chicago
Well, then it is just a YouTube issue that Apple can’t do anything about. Oh well …

triom

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
I’m having this exact problem over a year later. It worked just fine until I added my HomePods. Very disappointing that neither Apple nor Google can get their act together. I’m also noticing issues with the Plex app on my Apple TV since I added the Homepods

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
If you're using airplay, it has a couple second delay built in, for buffering,

Which means the video is actually has to play about 2 seconds behind the audio, So that they sync up when they hit the screen or speakers. I'm guessing YouTube doesn't do well with this and playing fast.

You could try setting the HomePod to default audio out, instead of airplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.