Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I have a MacBook Pro 13" (2015) running Mojave 10.14.6. For sometime now when I watch anything on YouTube my machine heats up to a ridiculous temperature to the point where I am worried about it getting damaged. The fans kick in and the whole machine becomes sluggish.

After doing some Googling I see that I'm not the only person who encounters this. One suggestion was to try using Firefox instead of Safari. So, I have just tried to install Firefox but it states: Firefox is no longer supported on macOS 10.14 and below.

I try reducing the video quality in the settings in YouTube but it makes no difference. Can anyone offer a relatively simple workaround so my MacBook Pro doesn't fry please!? 🔥

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Check your battery. Could be weird enough but found that when the battery ~ is heavy used one so MacBook performance will struggle. If your battery cycles near or more then 600 cycles -- could be a culprit.
  1. Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your screen to open the Apple menu.
  2. Select "About This Mac."
  3. In the window that opens, click on the "System Report" button.
  4. In the System Information window that appears, select "Power" from the left sidebar.
  5. Look for the "Cycle Count" under the "Battery Information" section. This will display the number of charge cycles your MacBook's battery has gone through.
Also, you may try Firefox on those longer releases, or even use obsolete version, let's say only for Youtube

But as for me worth trying would be tinkering with a display resolution (System Preferences -> Displays -> Select Scaled and move on 2/4 option (or even 1st is that ok)
As for me: on my older MBP 13 2017 changed permanently (so now it's 1280*800 instead of 1440*900) and this is a good approach to stay +-chill even on 1080p

But this is a Intel based so resetting SMC could be also helpful (if you don't have Firmware Password of course):

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

dudax

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2023
Germany
I have a MacBook Pro 13" (2015) running Mojave 10.14.6. For sometime now when I watch anything on YouTube my machine heats up to a ridiculous temperature to the point where I am worried about it getting damaged ... one suggestion was to try using Firefox instead of Safari. So, I have just tried to install Firefox but it states: Firefox is no longer supported on macOS 10.14 and below.

Download and install Firefox. You automaticly will get version 115 ESR (extended support release).
This version will be supported until Sept. 2024.

If the problem persists, perhaps the fan should be cleaned?

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Download and install Firefox. You automaticly will get version 115 ESR (extended support release).
This version will be supported until Sept. 2024.

If the problem persists, perhaps the fan should be cleaned?

Thanks. I'll try that first. YouTube is the only website it happens with, so I'll see how I get on with that version of Firefox. Thanks for your help 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.