Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UREntranceExitNodes4Mine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2021
First time ever something not working for me on Apple TV 4K 2021... That is YouTube Search function. I use YouTube without a Google account, but it should have not affect YouTube search function. That function no longer works on Apple TV 4K 2021 for me. There is just a blank dark screen when I try to use YouTube Search.

Reactions: ganja24

UREntranceExitNodes4Mine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2021
I now know it's related to blocking Google ad domains, but it only affects the YouTube App (on Apple TV, Roku, possible Fire TV, and Chromecast). It doesn't affect PC and tablet browsers. Even public DNS servers that don't block ads consider Google's ad domains to be malware domains and block them.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
It’s now showing search function, it probably was server side issue YouTube fixed.

UREntranceExitNodes4Mine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2021
I'm now 100% certain it has something to do with blocking static.doubeclick.net domain and its canonical name domains. If you block it via Pi-Hole and/or use ad-blocking public DNS server that blocks that domain, then YouTube App Search function stops working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.