Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
Has anyone experienced having the YouTube app automatically re-enable Smart Downloads and download random videos even though it has been left disabled in the first place?

I am not sure whether it is only limited to Premium subscribers or it also affects non-Premium users of YouTube... I also am not sure if background app refresh has anything to do with it... I have the setting background app refresh enabled [Wi-Fi only] but no app is allowed to use it... I have only experienced it on an iPhone but I have not tested on an iPad to see if the same thing will happen [which is also the reason I have set the prefix to iPhone]...

It seems to happen at random... I make sure that both the smart downloads and recommend downloads setting are set to off... I use the YouTube app on my iPhone for several minutes and switch to another app then after several hours or maybe the next day, I get the pop up saying that smart downloads is on and to either click got it or view downloads... When this happens, I immediately switch off the smart downloads setting and it still manages to use several MB of space even after deleting the downloads... It usually shows 7KB used when you go to the background and downloads section while smart downloads setting is set to off...

I delete and re-download the YouTube app to completely recover the space left from the incomplete downloads which I have done for a few times now since resetting the iPhone to factory settings [and erasing all data] although the smart downloads settings does not seem to be automatically re-enabled on android... I use the same Premium account on iPhone and android but it seems to only happen on the iPhone...

I tried doing an internet search but I have not found anything related to what I am experiencing... As a last resort, I may have to stop using YouTube on iPhone and completely delete it and either use the android version or the website on the desktop...

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Have exactly samme problem. got Youtube premium.

I also have an old android S20FE and there works YouTube as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.