Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I am good friends with one that has subscribers in the millions and is from NJ... That's all I'll say.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
"YouTube Stars"??? You mean those people who call themselves "influencers?" I don't know any personally, not interested in meeting any, and I sure as heck don't waste my time by looking at their videos on YouTube.
To me, having a YouTube channel is like any other art, and some people can become quite renowned from it. But I agree with you, I don't wish to meet any "big social media stars," because there's no way I could ever understand what they're producing in the first place. Plus, watching videos from well-known "influencers" makes me cringe severely. So no... no immediate desire to know any well-known YouTuber, TickTocker, or "Instagrammer."

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
What exactly is a Youtube "star", or, how does one define a "Youtube Star"?
From my (admittedly limited) understanding, a YouTube "star" is someone who generally has well over a million subscribers on YouTube, and/or has attracted quite a public following. Their audience might also be concentrated around a subject or an age group, but this doesn't have to be the case.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
From my (admittedly limited) understanding, a YouTube "star" is someone who generally has well over a million subscribers on YouTube, and/or has attracted quite a public following. Their audience might also be concentrated around a subject or an age group, but this doesn't have to be the case.
Thank you for the explanation, and, better still, an explanation that makes sense.

This thread is an indication of the way the world has changed - even online.

Several years ago, such a thread (and, there was one such thread, if memory serves) would have asked: "What famous people have you met/do you know?"

That is, people who are famous in real life (even if they were actors, for example, and therefore, were famous for some of the roles they played, roles where they had been pretending to be other people).

Whereas now, such questions have degenerated into asking about whether one knows "YouTube influencers", a concept I hadn't even known and still find hard to take in any way seriously.

Reactions: max2 and rm5

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thank you for the explanation, and, better still, an explanation that makes sense.

This thread is an indication of the way the world has changed - even online.

Several years ago, such a thread (and, there was one such thread, if memory serves) would have asked: "What famous people have you met/do you know?"

That is, people who are famous in real life (even if they were actors, for example, and therefore, were famous for some of the roles they played, roles where they had been pretending to be other people).

Whereas now, such questions have degenerated into asking about whether one knows "YouTube influencers", a concept I hadn't even known and still find hard to take in any way seriously.
It used to be said everyone wanted their 5 minutes of fame.
Now I’d say everyone wants their 30 seconds of fame!

Reactions: max2

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It used to be said everyone wanted their 5 minutes of fame.
Now I’d say everyone wants their 30 seconds of fame!
People who were "famous" (and not only in the Andy Warhol sense of becoming famous for 15 minutes, but possibly, in the Marshall McLuhan sense of 'the medium is the message") tended to have become famous for something that they actually did, (as political leaders, statesmen/women, writers, actors, musicians, footballers, sportspeople, Nobel Prize winners, etc) rather what seems prevalent nowadays, where individuals such as self-styled "influencers" function as online bottom feeders, generating fame through a medium itself famous for both grabbing and fracturing people's attention.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
People who were "famous" (and not only in the Andy Warhol sense of becoming famous for 15 minutes, but possibly, in the Marshall McLuhan sense of 'the medium is the message") tended to have become famous for something that they actually did, (as political leaders, writers, actors, musicians, footballers, sportspeople, Nobel Prize winners, etc) rather what seems prevalent nowadays, where individuals such as self-styled "influencers" function as online bottom feeders, generating fame through a medium itself famous for both grabbing and fracturing people's attention.
Exactly. So many people who seem to be famous for being famous. Not actors or singers. Just weird celebrities.

Personally I’d not know who Kim Kardashian was if they knocked on my door.
I chose her as she’s often talked about as being a celebrity despite having no talent.
But I could have used a lot of other names.

Reactions: max2

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Some of these "influencers" promote products -- and they don't always bother to tell their eager viewing/possible buying audience that they have been paid to promote said products. Unfortunately too many naive and gullible potential customers don't even think of this as a possibility.
I think they have to by law these days. But I agree many people don’t realise they are watching an advertisement.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, they should be upfront and ethical about it, but that doesn't always happen. Recently there was a revelation about some people in the nutrition/dietetics field (including registered dietitians) who were promoting particular products or a particular system and new way of life -- without revealing that they were being paid to do this. One would think and expect that those working in any sort of healthcare or nutrition field certainly should be ethical but there are dishonest people everywhere.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Some of these "influencers" promote products -- and they don't always bother to tell their eager viewing/possible buying audience that they have been paid to promote said products. Unfortunately too many naive and gullible potential customers don't even think of this as a possibility.
Actually, even people with subscribers in the thousands receive sponsorships. They do not need to be big influencers to promote products.

The problem is when those companies are shady, as in the case of Casetify and BetterHelp (and numerous other companies, I'm sure).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, even people with subscribers in the thousands receive sponsorships. They do not need to be big influencers to promote products.
Yes, but they should declare their interest, and be open about such interests - and such potential conflicts of interest - when engaged in the business of "influencing" others.

Someone who is paid to promote a product is not necessarily an impartial source, and I would wish that a disclaimer was included in such promotions if necessary, or relevant.
The problem is when those companies are shady, as in the case of Casetify and BetterHelp (and numerous other companies, I'm sure).
No, not only that, though, granted, this does matter.

Actually, the problem is when people claim to be disinterested, and impartial, and objective, and neutral, - such as prominent (and less prominent) "influencers" with a platform, - when, in fact, they are nothing of the sort, for, they are actually paid voices, paid to promote a product, rather than an impartial individual objectively discussing (or reviewing) a particular product.

This can give rise to a conflict of interest - does their interest lie in flogging, promoting, this product, or is it in giving their viewers an accurate and impartial account of the product?

And, unless you, the viewer, knows that they have been paid to promote a product - for appearing to do otherwise is disingenuous, misleading and misrepresentation - which means that a disclaimer, or a disclosure of their vested interest, is in order - you will be watching the video under false pretences.

That's fine for such "influencers" to have "sponsorships" or be paid; the issue is whether or not they are being upfront and honest about it.
Exactly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.