Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petestew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
I've been having this odd issue with Chrome for the past few weeks where video in YouTube stutters momentarily roughly once every 30 seconds, as in it pauses a frame or two before resuming but with no loss of sync with the audio. This happens every time I use YouTube now and even wiggling the mouse causes the video to stutter again briefly.

15" Macbook Pro 2017
2.9ghz / Radeon 560
OSX Mojave

Running latest official build of Chrome (69.0)

So far the following things I've tried have not solved the problem
- cleaning out the cache on Chrome
- running in incognito mode
- changing MBP screen resolution
- disabling automatic graphics switching
- running YouTube in windowed vs full screen
- uninstalling/re-installing Chrome
- disabling Chrome browser plug-ins
- disabling Chrome hardware acceleration
- changing YouTube quality 480/720/1080/4K etc
- updating from High Sierra to Mojave (it did this before upgrading too)

This problem doesn't occur in Safari or Firefox, however my preference is to use Chrome even with its many other faults. I've checked activity monitor whilst running Chrome and nothing seems out of place CPU/mem wise. I know it's still a complete hog, but nothing is spiking to levels which could affect video playback. I can't say I've noticed this happening on other video platforms but could be wrong, Netflix plays back perfectly I know that.

Anyone else out there having similar issues? It's so frustrating trying to watch Youtube with the constant skipping every 30 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.