Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hello All:

I have been posting YouTube videos for the past year. Every video that I post has a thumbnail created from a separate photograph. These thumbnail meet YouTube standards of less than 2 MB and have pixel dimensions of 1280 x 720. Whenever I open these thumbnails in Photoshop or Preview they are clean and what I would expect from a photographs of this size. However, once I upload the video along with its thumbnail to YouTube and then post on on Facebook or LinkedIn, the thumbnail is blurry and badly pixelated.

I have reviewed numerous websites regarding bully thumbnails but they are no help. All they do is regurgitate YouTube specifications for thumbnails.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the appearance of YouTube thumbnails on Facebook and LinkedIN.

Don

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
it is related with FB and Linkedin links, check their policies and options.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi SJ:

Thank you for writing. Have you had experience with improving the appearance of YouTube thumbnails in FB and LinkedIn? If yes, what options did you change?

Don

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Hi SJ:

Thank you for writing. Have you had experience with improving the appearance of YouTube thumbnails in FB and LinkedIn? If yes, what options did you change?

Don
you can turn on HD option in FB video options. That's probably it.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi SJ,

Saw that in Facebook settings. However, I did not interpret that as being for YouTube URLs--just for videos uploaded directly to Facebook. LinkedIn does not have a similar setting.

In any case, I tried setting Facebook videos to HD. Did not make any difference for thumbnails for YouTube videos already uploaded. Will try again with this setting on for the next load and see if it helps.

Thank you again for the suggestion as I was unaware of these settings in Facebook and LinkedIn.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.