Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEBaghead

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Omaha, NE
I just made the switch from cable to Youtube TV. I tested it on my xbox one during the trial and everything worked great. I bought an ATV last night so I could have an easier interface to navigate, plus my wife was getting notifications from friends on my xbox one while trying to watch tv. :)

YTTV buffering is terrible. Barely makes it to 360P with auto settings no matter what I try to watch including VoD channels. All other streaming apps work fine on ATV. 4k Netflix and Apple content are smooth as butter with instant start. YTTV still works fine on every device in my house except the ATV.

Anyone having similar problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Steps I've taken so far:
Tried both wireless and wired. (Wireless connect is at 867 Mbps) with an Orbi 2 feet away.
Changed DNS to Google DNS (8.8.8.8)
Uninstalled and reinstalled YTTV App.
Rebooted/Restarted ATV multiple times
Reset cable modem and Wifi.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm currently subscribed to PS Vue, but I was curious about YouTube TV, so I signed up for the two week trial.

I was watching the PGA Championship on my IPP yesterday while my wife and I were catching up on shows on Hulu. I noticed at least 4-5 times during the broadcast that the broadcast buffered. Never had this issue with PS Vue and we have 100/100 mbps internet via Fios.

I would tend to think it's more or less the app than your internet connection. I don't know if it's more widespread considering more people would have posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.