Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
hopefully, thats one thing that i realised is when you were using the edge network, it took a while to load and then it wasn't very good video quality.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
Well i'll tell you I have a Blackberry now on Alltel with EVDO and the images come up just the same as they would on any DSL. If HSDPA isnt up to that quality then they cant compete with the other big 3 on EVDO. I really dont know what he is talking about lower quality images unless thats a setting on his iphone or something to make the internet faster by downgrading the images.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Generally, the quality of the video can be linked to the connection speed - EDGE get's crappy quality, 3G gets better, wifi on a decent connection can get desktop broadband quality. The reference movie thingumy can work wonders...

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I really dont know what he is talking about lower quality images unless thats a setting on his iphone or something to make the internet faster by downgrading the images.

The Youtube app on the iPhone will download lower quality versions of videos if you're on EDGE and high quality if you're on WiFi.

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
The Youtube app on the iPhone will download lower quality versions of videos if you're on EDGE and high quality if you're on WiFi.

I am on 3g right now and the Youtube App still gives me quality of that of Edge, the same pixilated quality!!!!!

Resident Guru

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I am on 3g right now and the Youtube App still gives me quality of that of Edge, the same pixilated quality!!!!!

Just another reason for a 1st gen iPhone owner to wait. Personally, I'm waiting for a REAL upgrade. Something like video recording, MMS, camera upgrade and a faster processor.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Just another reason for a 1st gen iPhone owner to wait. Personally, I'm waiting for a REAL upgrade. Something like video recording, MMS, camera upgrade and a faster processor.

Video recording and MMS are software. Honestly, I think if Apple hasn't put it in by this point they never will... unless that's going to be their "new" feature next year. :rolleyes:

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I really hope they release some flash support to handle multimedia functions on the internet. Not like I want to watch a high production animation that makes high end computers crawl, but just video, audio, and simple menues.

I'm shocked at the horrible quality of the youtube app over 3G. I heard it was bad because of edge, why did they not increase quality for 3G?

Resident Guru

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Video recording and MMS are software. Honestly, I think if Apple hasn't put it in by this point they never will... unless that's going to be their "new" feature next year. :rolleyes:

I still think those software features will happen, although it's really just a software upgrade. Also, a longer battery life would be awesome, some days my iPhone is dead by the end of the day, I can't imagine how fast my phone would die if I was on 3g a great deal.

Resident Guru

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I really hope they release some flash support to handle multimedia functions on the internet. Not like I want to watch a high production animation that makes high end computers crawl, but just video, audio, and simple menues.

I'm shocked at the horrible quality of the youtube app over 3G. I heard it was bad because of edge, why did they not increase quality for 3G?

I too am hoping for flash support, so many websites I can't enjoy on my phone due to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.