Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsh8w

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello all;

YouWidget for iOS - YouTube Widget

Following the release of my iOS 14 Twitter Widget, Twidget; a number of users requested the same sort of functionality for YouTube.

Over the last few weeks, I've been working on such a widget. The app, 'YouWidget', was released to the App Store today! ?

It's completely free so I hope a few people find it useful! Attached below are a few screenshots and also the app description. Thanks for taking the time to look at the app. If you have any feature requests, feedback or questions; please don't hesitate to get in touch. ?

YouWidget - App Store
YouWidget - Landing Page

View your live YouTube video feed right on your home screen with YouWidget! Simply login to your YouTube/Google account, and this app will do the rest!

YouWidget provides 3 different widget sizes; each providing different video/channel data. Each widget can also be customised using YouWidget's 3 themes; light, dark and red.

Each widget will automatically refresh with new videos/stats. Simply tapping a particular video/channel will open it directly in YouTube.

MAIN FEATURES:
- Live YouTube video feed on your iPhone home screen with 15-minutely refresh.
- Choose to view your subscription’s videos or popular trending videos.
- Select any YouTube channel to follow their video feed.
- View statistics for any channel including subscriber, view and video counts.
- Auto-refreshing feed.
- View a specific user's tweets as well as your own timeline.
- 3 widget sizes; large, medium and small.
- Customisable Themes; light, dark and red.
- Integrated with YouTube’s official data API.
- Tap videos/channels to open in YouTube app.

screenshot1.jpeg
screenshot2.jpeg
screenshot3.jpeg
screenshot4.jpeg
screenshot5.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: passatgt

GM2146

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
UK
79C7F2A0-55B5-45F3-8038-061B1255F9E3.jpeg

Noticed on a few occasions that the twitter handle profile picture doesn’t match the account tweet.

This screengrab was taken on an iPad (14.5.1 PB).

jsh8w

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi jsh8w. Can it be use on a MacBook Pro?

Hi @Gutti.

The app is enabled to support macOS Big Sur on Apple Silicon Macs. However, in all honesty I haven't been able to test this yet as I don't yet own one of the new Macs.

I'd be interested to hear what you find if you install though!

jsh8w

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom
v1.0.2 of YouWidget was released to the App Store today! ?

New Features:
- Additional medium video widget layout.
- Minor bug fixes.

Thanks for taking the time to look at YouWidget. If you have any feature requests, feedback or questions; please don’t hesitate to get in touch. :)

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
v1.0.2 of YouWidget was released to the App Store today! ?

New Features:
- Additional medium video widget layout.
- Minor bug fixes.

Thanks for taking the time to look at YouWidget. If you have any feature requests, feedback or questions; please don’t hesitate to get in touch. :)
Can I ask when your app updates the widget?

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Hi @Beefburga!

The widget will currently request to update every 15 mins. ?

However, as with all iOS 14 widgets; the OS may prevent it updating if it deems the widget to be using too much resource.
I’ve noticed that it can go almost 24 hour before the widget updates although those channels I’ve subscribed to are changing multiple times throughout the same 24 hour.
??‍♂️

jsh8w

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom
I’ve noticed that it can go almost 24 hour before the widget updates although those channels I’ve subscribed to are changing multiple times throughout the same 24 hour.
??‍♂️

@Beefburga Hmm, sorry to hear you're experiencing that issue. It certainly should be refreshing more often than that.

Is it just happening when viewing your subscriptions? Or when viewing a specific channel too?

jsh8w

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! ?

YouWidget has been entirely free so far. To support adding new features and maintaining the app; I've decided to go down the freemium route. v1.0.3 was released to the App Store today. ?

The premium tier can be accessed via either a monthly $0.99 subscription or lifetime $3.99 one-time purchase. New features I add will only be available through the premium tier.

Thanks for the continued support of YouWidget. ?

App Store - Download

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
@Beefburga Hmm, sorry to hear you're experiencing that issue. It certainly should be refreshing more often than that.

Is it just happening when viewing your subscriptions? Or when viewing a specific channel too?
When viewing my subscriptions. Thinking it might help I’ve paid for the lifetime fee but alas, still no updates to the widget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.