Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itakemycoronawithalime

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2020
So between the external display wattage/heat issues and now this morning another kernel panic I am throwing in the towel.

Ordering a P53 with 64GB RAM, i9 and Quadra RTX 4000. I will deal with the dated design in exchange for an actual workstation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 8.33.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 8.33.29 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 304
Reactions: mick2 and c0ppo

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Would be cool if you could share your experiences with the P53 later when you get it :)

What display will you get?

Reactions: RickTaylor

Queen6

macrumors G4
Another one bites the dust; Sadly Apple could care very less about such matters as long as long as iPhone & services quota's is fulfilled. 16" MBP promises, yet fails to deliver. Specs are meaningless if they only exist on paper and don't execute the real world....

Q-6

mac_evangelist

Suspended
Mar 30, 2020
UK
It won't be a pleasure to use, it won't be seamless. But it's a damn good workstation and it'll certainly get the job done. Enjoy!

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
I gave up on Apple laptops some time ago, with the huge expense, lack of ports, overheating, "stage light" display syndrome, and keyboard problems. I still have an iPhone and an iMac desktop, but now exclusively use PC laptops with linux installed (haven't used Windows since retiring 12 years ago). I got through the linux "steep learning ramp" years ago, and am quite pleased overall with functionality and get / provide help when needed from the linux forums and podcasts. On top of that, I can buy good quality hardware for much greater bang per buck than I get with Apple these days. I have a 3 year old Dell XPS 13 that still runs like a top, and have a couple of newer model System76 computers (pre-configured with PopOS / Ubuntu linux). The System76 folks stand firmly behind their hardware/software offerings, and I've gotten prompt competent responses and help when needed. The iPad I have (2017 model) will likely be my last, due to reliability issues with the newer ones after a year or two (and they ditched the phone jack, as per the iPhone). I miss having a phone jack, but other than that, my iPhone 11 remains a solid performing device with great battery life. It's pretty obvious where Apple is putting all of their efforts in development / support, and it isn't with Macs or even iPads.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.