Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
so I invested in the Zagg invisible shield for the mini, and had someone professionally "install" it yesterday (I'm no good with that stuff and $15 extra would save me $30 of having to buy a new one for screwing it up so badly). When they were done, it looked great aside from those "micro-bubbles" which are supposed to go away within 24 hours.

well, 24 hours passed and those micro-bubbles are gone. BUT there are ACTUAL bubbles that weren't there before. and they're driving me nuts.

It did undergo some very light use in the 24 hours but i deliberately didn't put a case on it as instructed and used it gently in those 24 hours.

so 2 questions:
- will those larger bubbles go away with further use/time?
- if not, did i get a "bad one" or is this just a trade-off for having this on there? the reason I pulled the trigger on this is because I did it for my phone and it was done so well that you really have to examine the thing super-carefully to know that anything at all is on there.

ALSO-- i found out Zagg's having a 50% off sale for Cyber-Monday starting tonight, so looks like I overpaid anyway (but I'm not gonna return this unless I'm sure the bubbles won't go away).

thanks.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
do a search here...zagg is junk...if they did not have the best buy account, I think they'd be broke. Rip it off and get one from the other skin makers like bestskinsever or gelaskins...

two names that will let you down: Zagg and Rocketfish......

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
do a search here...zagg is junk...if they did not have the best buy account, I think they'd be broke. Rip it off and get one from the other skin makers like bestskinsever or gelaskins...

two names that will let you down: Zagg and Rocketfish......

thanks. i'm not ripping it off but i will definitely attempt to return it.

in defense of zagg though, my iphone 5 zagg is absolutely perfect and bubble-free and was the catylist of the mini purchase. The other day I was looking at my screen and honestly thought to myself "this phone is brand new, I should really get a screen protector for this, I'm surprised I didn't do that yet" before remembering that yes, I had, and it was on there already believe it or not.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Go with ghost armor instead of zagg

I had zagg on my ipad 3 & twice it started peeling off , the second time the color on the back turned into a different color

I now have ghost armor full body on my iPhone 5 & ipad mini
No problems at all

They got kiosk locations , have them install it

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
ALSO-- i found out Zagg's having a 50% off sale for Cyber-Monday starting tonight, so looks like I overpaid anyway (but I'm not gonna return this unless I'm sure the bubbles won't go away).

I just bought a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD for my Mini, which I have no installed yet. I'm pretty sure those Cyber Monday deals are the same price, because I just paid the same price they have listed on their site at BestBuy.

Unless, they mean 10pm MST on Sunday is 12am EST...

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
theyre half off today, along with everything else except the keyboards, which are 20%.

update on this: it was looking pretty bad up until last night but im definitely seeing progress. right now there are 2 tiny bubbles offscreen and the rest of it reminds me of my phone. im hoping those go away too but even if they dont i can live with it.

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
I installed my protector this weekend. It looks horrible. The bubbles are really bad. If I would have known it was a wet install I would have never gotten it. I am still waiting for a reply from Zagg concerning my bubble complaint.

I thought I did something wrong but after reading this I don't think so. Some of the bubbles have gonna away after 4 days but some remain.

Kevin

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
yeah 4-5 days seems like plenty of time. it does do some weird no bubbles-> lots of bubbles -> some bubbles -> barely any bubbles transformation over 2-3 days (they say 24 hours but it did take days and if im beginning to remember correctly i was a little annoyed with my phone install for a few days too before i was so happy that i forgot it was even on there).

but yeah if youre still seeing them after 4-5 days it likely didnt work.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Zagg works, but compared to similar skin makers, they are the worse. The only reason people use Zagg is because of their retail presence. My sister-in-law got a Zagg installed on her iPhone 4S by Best Buy. I then had her compare hers to my 4S with PhantomSkinz installed... She instantly could tell the difference. Zagg (the regular version, can't comment on the higher priced "HD" stuff) has always had a "tacky" feel to it. It protects the device just fine from scratches, but I have always felt that the "tackiness" of a Zagg is not suited for a touch screen device.

Brands I would recommend as being better than Zagg and in most cases cheaper too:

Phantomskinz
Best Skins Ever
Ghost Armor
Wrapsol
Skinomi

These are all wet application skins like Zagg, but their stuff has a much smoother feel and less "orange peel" effect than Zagg.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Super weird but every single bubble seems to gone now. This stuff is a miracle. Now hopefully it doesn't peel.

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA
give it a couple of weeks, it will all disappear from any brand. had same issue with bodyguardz, but after a few weeks it looks perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.