Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I'm looking to get the Zagg Keyboard Cover (not Folio) when it is released, which should be soon.

I wanted to get thoughts from those who have the cover for the mini. For example, there seems to be some complaints about the quality of the folio, but I haven't heard many complaints about the cover version.

Out of the Belkin, Zagg, and Logitech versions, I'm currently leaning towards the Zagg based on the reviews that are out there, but we'll see. I want as minimalist a keyboard as possible that allows for multiple viewing angles that's also easy/convenient to take on and off.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Will the original zag keys cover for ipad mini work? Has it been confirmed that they will be releasing one for the retina mini?

thomstarboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
I tried the cover out when I picked up my Retina Mini. It seemed very well built, especially next to the Logitech keyboard cover, but I quickly returned it simply because the hinge seemed far too tight, so I would say it does not work with the Retina Mini (other than obviously the bluetooth functionality still works fine).

Bear in mind, I never had the original iPad Mini and don't have experience with how the hinge fit that unit. I just know that I wasn't comfortable with how hard I had to push the Retina Mini and how tight it seemed once inserted. It caused visible stress on the screen, and even if I was told by someone at Zagg that it's fine (not that that happened), I wouldn't take the chance.

Hopefully they'll release a Retina Mini version as I would definitely buy it, but so far I've seen absolutely no indication that that will happen.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
I've recently been looking into this one as well. It seems to scratch all my itches for a keyboard case. I opted out of getting a folio style one because I'd rather be able to easily pop my iPad out for touch-use rather than hold it in the case with the extra weight.

The one question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere is whether this case will allow you to position an iPad in a portrait orientation. I can't see why it wouldn't since it's a clap that holds it in place, but I wanted to see if anyone with experience with the brand knows of any reasons why it wouldn't work. I realize that closing the cover wouldn't work like this, but I'm just interested in seeing if, keyboard laying flat, you could clasp an iPad into it positioned vertically. I feel like typing out a long paper would work better in portrait orientation than landscape.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I'm looking to get the Zagg Keyboard Cover (not Folio) when it is released, which should be soon.

I wanted to get thoughts from those who have the cover for the mini. For example, there seems to be some complaints about the quality of the folio, but I haven't heard many complaints about the cover version.

Out of the Belkin, Zagg, and Logitech versions, I'm currently leaning towards the Zagg based on the reviews that are out there, but we'll see. I want as minimalist a keyboard as possible that allows for multiple viewing angles that's also easy/convenient to take on and off.

I think I want this one too, because of the backlit keys, a huge benefit over the Logitech model.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I am holding out for the Clamcase Pro for mini. I got hooked on the infinite angle adjustability on my iPad 3. My guess is it will heavier than the Zagg, and probably not backlit.

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
Just checked out Zagg's website, the keyboard cover for iPad Air is out, and one got their hands on it yet? Any reviews out there?

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I am holding out for the Clamcase Pro for mini. I got hooked on the infinite angle adjustability on my iPad 3. My guess is it will heavier than the Zagg, and probably not backlit.

I have the Logitech, but I had know about the ClamCase, I would have bought it.

bonhamercury

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Longtime lurker here.

I just received my Zaggkeys keyboard cover for my iPad Air and I am extremely pleased with it. The build quality is great. I had the Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for the previous gen iPads, but I think the Zagg is far superior in design. A few notes:
-It can in fact hold the ipad air up vertically
-I tried and failed to put a screen protector on the iPad. The hinge is too tight and it pulls up the shield
-The keyboard is weighted and likely heavier than the Logitech UTK so the iPad doesn't tilt over when angled back far

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 258

redgirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Just checked out Zagg's website, the keyboard cover for iPad Air is out, and one got their hands on it yet? Any reviews out there?

I have it on order but they said shipping is delayed.

----------

Longtime lurker here.

I just received my Zaggkeys keyboard cover for my iPad Air and I am extremely pleased with it. The build quality is great. I had the Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for the previous gen iPads, but I think the Zagg is far superior in design. A few notes:
-I tried and failed to put a screen protector on the iPad. The hinge is too tight and it pulls up the shield
-The keyboard is weighted and likely heavier than the Logitech UTK so the iPad doesn't tilt over when angled back far

How tight is the hinge... Thinking about the folks here who want to pull it in and out of the hinge.

bonhamercury

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
I have it on order but they said shipping is delayed.

----------

How tight is the hinge... Thinking about the folks here who want to pull it in and out of the hinge.

It's pretty easy to pull the naked iPad in and out of the hinge. It is tight enough that the device feels secure and won't move unless you want it to. I'd advice against this case if you must have some kind of screen protector or skin on the device.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I was worried about this not working with the invisible shield. I always use the shields so unfortunately that keeps me from getting this case...which appears to be far superior than any case on the market. I have the logitech which works fine but I really want this cover! If only Zagg would make it work with their shields, it would be a match made in Heaven.

redgirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
not to hijack this thread - but how easy is it to insert and remove the ipad from the folio - i read that you 'can' use a screen protector on that one. but if it's a struggle to take it in and out, that's not a plus.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
not to hijack this thread - but how easy is it to insert and remove the ipad from the folio - i read that you 'can' use a screen protector on that one. but if it's a struggle to take it in and out, that's not a plus.

Well, I had the folio and it was a cinch to pop in and about, However, I have an Invisible shield and it did affect it. When you place the iPad into the folio, the hinge (when closing and opening) kind of rolls up against the iPad and in doing so pushed it up a bit on the left hand side. That frankly was why I returned it. I love my screen shield more than a keyboard case. Don't get me wrong, it was a great case, but for me personally, I want to be able to have my shields on w/out issues.

Now, back to the originally scheduled thread.

redgirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Well, I had the folio and it was a cinch to pop in and about, However, I have an Invisible shield and it did affect it. When you place the iPad into the folio, the hinge (when closing and opening) kind of rolls up against the iPad and in doing so pushed it up a bit on the left hand side. That frankly was why I returned it. I love my screen shield more than a keyboard case. Don't get me wrong, it was a great case, but for me personally, I want to be able to have my shields on w/out issues.

Now, back to the originally scheduled thread.

almost...i'm sad to hear that neither zagg keyboard will accomodate a zagg shield. my other option is to go with the logitech keyboard folio. but i thought that zagg had the better keyboard and that goes a long way.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Zagg keyboard cover for the iPad mini

As mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered the Zagg backlit keyboard cover for my mini. Because I use a glass screen protector, the mini kept popping out of the hinge and I regrettably had to return it. I suspect if Zagg did not really widen the hinge thickness, it won't work on a riPad mini, let alone one with a screen protector

I eventually ordered a backlit Sharkks keyboard cover which attaches like the Logitech and seems to work fine. I checked the fit on a Retina iPad mini at the Apple store and it fits as well. The only negative regarding the Sharkks unit is the graphic, but when you have the iPad propped up in its groove, you cannot see it anyway. It costs less than $30.00, and for my money was the best one I tried so far.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I have a problem with all the keyboards: I have yet to see one that lets me still use it like a tablet. The Logitech/Sharkk covers pop off at the magnetic hinge if you try and fold the cover back and the Zagg jams into the hinge and is limited at 135 degrees.

They're useful if you want to pop them on there for a specifically keyboard-necessary task and then will return home or can tuck it in a bag, but if you want to have a tablet and occasionally tiptap on it, they don't really work. You have to separate them to use them as a standard tablet.

mripadmini

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
i had it for a little while before i got my logitech ultrathin keyboard cover then i returned it because i liked the logitech keyboard better and also i did not like how ZAGG was written on the spacebar.

captrlp

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I have the Zaggkeys cover for the Air. The cover can be used with shields on the front and back. You simply trim about 1/4 from the front and 3/8 from the back. This will allow the iPad to fit in the hinge as designed, yet provides about 98% coverage. Yes, it would be better if Zagg offered hinge inserts to fit naked or shielded iPads, but since they don't, the trim option is the next best thing. I would much prefer 100% coverage, but the Zaggkeys cover is just to great in all aspects, so I chose to trim the shields.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but how is the fit on this one for the retina iPad mini ? Is it too tight?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
yes congrats!

Longtime lurker here.

right on, i'm a happy owner too!
it has way superior specs to the clamcase pro for ipad air too, that thing doesn't even have backlit and its super bulky and what is up with all those extra keys around the arrow keys that the zaggkeys cover managed to include as functions in the existing keys without adding clutter!!!

clamcase is hype and excess. zaggkeys cover is supremely incredible to work on, what a joy! and it's black and sexy too..

i love you all.

----------

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but how is the fit on this one for the retina iPad mini ? Is it too tight?

no don't crack your screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.