Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KenB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I saw these in stock, at a Best Buy in Goodyear, AZ on Black Friday. This is despite the fact that ZAGG's website still shows this product as not yet available.

I was tempted to get it, but I didn't want to pay sales tax (I live in Oregon) and I'd rather get the "Tough Book" version, when it comes out. (maybe it's already out, and Zagg's site is wrong about that too?)

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Does anyone have a SKU for this product, it is not on the Best Buy site either. Thanks

KenB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
ZAGG is showing MSRP at $129.99. I don't have a SKU for it. Interestingly enough, they have pulled the "Tough Book" version from their iPad Air 2 page...I wonder if that means this will be the only version, or if they are trying to discourage people like me, that would prefer to wait for the beefier version?

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
Looked for the Slim book at my local bestbuy today. Unfortunately, no luck. They did have the folio keyboard case though.

Nortrab

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Missouri, USA
I am going to have to call BS on that. There is no way that they are out yet or there would be more information online about them from users exc. I am thinking that the case that you saw was in fact for a iPad Air 1st Gen and not for the iPad Air 2nd Gen.

KenB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
That was exactly my thought process at the time, so I double checked. The cardboard sleeve/packaging on the item itself said iPad Air 2. I should have taken a picture. :(

jryu90

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
Washington, D.C. Metro Area
I am going to have to call BS on that. There is no way that they are out yet or there would be more information online about them from users exc. I am thinking that the case that you saw was in fact for a iPad Air 1st Gen and not for the iPad Air 2nd Gen.

I can confirm that they are indeed out and available at Best Buy. I first saw the Slim Book out at my local Best Buy Thanksgiving Evening (when they were doing their early Black Friday sales). They're currently listed for $129.99 just like on ZAGG's site. The reason why no one can find the SKU or listing on Best Buy's website is because Best Buy has them INCORRECTLY listed as the ZAGGfolio Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case for iPad Air 2. Here is the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zagg-za...lack/9877103.p?id=1219443110041&skuId=9877103

I bought both the Logitech Tye+ for iPad Air 2 and the Slim Book to compare and see which one was better. I preferred the Logitech Ultrathin above all, but unfortunately, the tempered glass screen protector I use on my iPad Air 2 makes it a hair or two thicker for the magnetic slot.

The Slim Book has fairly good build quality. The bottom keyboard portion is made of aluminum, while the underside is made of fairly hard plastic. The case that attaches the iPad is made of incredibly brittle and thin plastic that I fear will not be as durable in the long run. However, this design does allow the added convenience and flexibility to attach and detach from the keyboard. The keyboard itself is nice. However, compared the Logitech, the key travel is shallower, and the keys themselves are smaller than the ones on the Logitech. I found that the Slim Book also required firmer keystrokes to ensure output as I often found myself typing words with missing letters.

The Logitech Type+ has a far more solid build quality with soft touch and grippy nylon. Despite lacking premium materials and features like aluminum and a backlit keyboard, something I found myself not mising all that much, there's a sense of durability that I didn't find in the ZAGG Slim Book. The keboard is more widely spaced and far more comfortable to type on. The folio itself does not add any more thickness nor bulk than the ZAGG. The magnetic lock on the Logitech is also far more secure, and because of the folio's folding design, the iPad does not wobble when the screen is touched. The ZAGG's hing mechanism is incredibly rigiid, so it appears the iPad slot is the culprit when it comes to the wobbling issue.

Overall, I think I'm going to return the ZAGG Slim Book and keep the Logitech Type+.

KenB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Thank you for backing me up, and for the in depth review/comparison. I really want the Zagg Tough Book version, but they are now saying it will be sometime in January. That had me second guessing myself, as to whether I should just settle for the Slim Book. Based on your review, I will not get the Slim Book, and since the Tough Book most likely utilizes the same keyboard design, I will be giving the Logitech and other keyboard cases more consideration as they become available.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007

Sadly, this is incorrect. I've bought both the Logitech and Zagg keyboards from Best Buy many times. BB always gets an exclusive and has them before all other stores. Sad but true. Sometimes, they aren't even available online at BB, yet they are on the shelves in the store.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
I can confirm that they are indeed out and available at Best Buy. I first saw the Slim Book out at my local Best Buy Thanksgiving Evening (when they were doing their early Black Friday sales). They're currently listed for $129.99 just like on ZAGG's site. The reason why no one can find the SKU or listing on Best Buy's website is because Best Buy has them INCORRECTLY listed as the ZAGGfolio Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case for iPad Air 2. Here is the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zagg-za...lack/9877103.p?id=1219443110041&skuId=9877103

I bought both the Logitech Tye+ for iPad Air 2 and the Slim Book to compare and see which one was better. I preferred the Logitech Ultrathin above all, but unfortunately, the tempered glass screen protector I use on my iPad Air 2 makes it a hair or two thicker for the magnetic slot.

The Slim Book has fairly good build quality. The bottom keyboard portion is made of aluminum, while the underside is made of fairly hard plastic. The case that attaches the iPad is made of incredibly brittle and thin plastic that I fear will not be as durable in the long run. However, this design does allow the added convenience and flexibility to attach and detach from the keyboard. The keyboard itself is nice. However, compared the Logitech, the key travel is shallower, and the keys themselves are smaller than the ones on the Logitech. I found that the Slim Book also required firmer keystrokes to ensure output as I often found myself typing words with missing letters.

The Logitech Type+ has a far more solid build quality with soft touch and grippy nylon. Despite lacking premium materials and features like aluminum and a backlit keyboard, something I found myself not mising all that much, there's a sense of durability that I didn't find in the ZAGG Slim Book. The keboard is more widely spaced and far more comfortable to type on. The folio itself does not add any more thickness nor bulk than the ZAGG. The magnetic lock on the Logitech is also far more secure, and because of the folio's folding design, the iPad does not wobble when the screen is touched. The ZAGG's hing mechanism is incredibly rigiid, so it appears the iPad slot is the culprit when it comes to the wobbling issue.

Overall, I think I'm going to return the ZAGG Slim Book and keep the Logitech Type+.

Thank you for such a lengthy and thorough review, however I have to say that I'm not settled on any of these yet. To me the big appeal of the Slim Book is the many angles it provides, and that's really my primary concern. The second is the fact that you can use the iPad very easily without the keyboard, hence the iPad being slim when holding it in hand. Third is the actual keyboard. That being said, I hope the problem with keys not registering the typing is fixed some how.

JoeTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
I have purchased the Slim Book as well

I have recently purchsed the Slim Book at my local Best Buy during Black Friday. As someone else here mentioned, they did have the product mislabeled on their web site. None the less, I do have a full video review of the product up on YouTube at the link below:

http://youtu.be/MVYM3IEwd9s

Other notes. As I've been using this keyboard now for about 2 weeks, I'm disappointed in some things:

The back cover does not lock on very well to my iPad Air 2 and easily slips off when opening the case. The iPad in the back cover (docked in the keyboard case) indeed does wobble (there seems to be some play there which causes this, but the hinge itself is quite solid). The back lit keys are good, but in this price range, they could have offered the muti colors and mutiple brightness settings.Typing feels ok, but like someone else mentioned here, I find myself typing words that are missing letters since you have to press slightly harder on the keys to make sure they fire off (this can be quite frustrating).

I love the look of this keyboard, how thin it is, and the capabiity to pull off the iPad ad flip it over, or just use as a stand alone tablet. Based on some of my findings, I'll likely do part 2 review of this case, and now that I've had a good amount of time to play with it, I think there's a strong possibility that I'll take it back and buy something else. For $129, I was expecting a much more polished and solid product. I managed to pick this up for $89.99 due to a pricing error (which they had to honor), but even still at this price point I'm still disappointed in some of the flaws. I think ZAGG might have rushed this product through production due to the overwhelimg demand and lack of varieties in good keyboard cases for the Air 2.

Although New Trent's AirBender 5.0 is a little thicker, it seems to pack some features that even ZAGG does not have (see my review on that on as well from my YouTube channel).

Hope this helps someone's buying decsion.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
I have recently purchsed the Slim Book at my local Best Buy during Black Friday. As someone else here mentioned, they did have the product mislabeled on their web site. None the less, I do have a full video review of the product up on YouTube at the link below:

http://youtu.be/MVYM3IEwd9s

Other notes. As I've been using this keyboard now for about 2 weeks, I'm disappointed in some things:

The back lit keys are good, but in this price range, they could have offered the multi colors and multiple brightness settings.

According to the website these features should be available.

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Would love to pick this up, but I have an iPad Air 1. Any location where the first gen ipad air version is available?

JoeTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
ZAGG Slim Boo Alternative

According to the website these features should be available.

I was looking at the site and they only claim it has a back lit keyboard:

http://www.zagg.com/keyboard/slim-book-ipad-air-2/9433

This is accurate. I was stating at this price point, it should have multple colors in the backlit keys like some of their other models. Although that is not a deal breaker for me, as it is an extra bell or whistle, core functionality is my main concern.

I'm going to contact ZAGG to see if they are willing to fix the issues or I may return this expensive piece of hardware and look at their plain hinged model (I have one for the iPad mini and it works great, and does not wobble, but does not come with a back cover so I'll have to pair that up with one). See link below or much cheaper version (about half the price of the Slim Book)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...de=as2&tag=josgo03-20&linkId=NR4MIG45F7AK22VX

Last edited:

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for the reviews in this thread. Anybody have experience with the iPad Mini version? Just wondering if it has the same issues as the Air's. So far the reviewers seem to universally complain about the hinge being wobbly, and many report the keys being too stiff causing them to miss some characters and make mistakes. These are flaws are big.

I owned an Asus Transformer for a couple of weeks. Loved the hardware but couldn't stand Android (which, granted, has improved significantly by now). This Slim Book case reminds me of the Transformer, and I really hope Zagg can sort these issues out.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
ZAGG Slim book keyboard case for the Ipad Air 2 available now

I was looking at the site and they only claim it has a back lit keyboard:

http://www.zagg.com/keyboard/slim-book-ipad-air-2/9433

This is accurate. I was stating at this price point, it should have multple colors in the backlit keys like some of their other models. Although that is not a deal breaker for me, as it is an extra bell or whistle, core functionality is my main concern.

I'm going to contact ZAGG to see if they are willing to fix the issues or I may return this expensive piece of hardware and look at their plain hinged model (I have one for the iPad mini and it works great, and does not wobble, but does not come with a back cover so I'll have to pair that up with one). See link below or much cheaper version (about half the price of the Slim Book)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...de=as2&tag=josgo03-20&linkId=NR4MIG45F7AK22VX

In the questions and answers section of the product page someone asks if you can change the colour of the backlit keyboard. Zagg's response is yes. I don't know though as I haven't tried it.

One of the features I like with this keyboard is the fact that you can so easily detach it as well as the different viewing modes. But I completely agree, stiff keys and wobbling is no good.

Last edited:

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Got an email from Zagg for a 24-hour, 20% off "flash sale." Went online to pull the trigger on the Slim Book when I saw the fine print: "cannot be applied to the Slim Book Keyboards." Hahaha oh Zaag, you suck.

JoeTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
I contacted ZAGG today

In the questions and answers section of the product page someone asks if you can change the colour of the backlit keyboard. Zagg's response is yes. I don't know though as I haven't tried it.

One of the features I like with this keyboard is the fact that you can so easily detach it as well as the different viewing modes. But I completely agree, stiff keys and wobbling is no good.

I called ZAGG and arranged for a replacement model once the next shipment arrives. Hopefully some of these issue will be resolved. I'll keep you all posted.

JoeTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Check out ZAGG Cover Case for iPad Mini

Thanks for the reviews in this thread. Anybody have experience with the iPad Mini version? Just wondering if it has the same issues as the Air's. So far the reviewers seem to universally complain about the hinge being wobbly, and many report the keys being too stiff causing them to miss some characters and make mistakes. These are flaws are big.

I owned an Asus Transformer for a couple of weeks. Loved the hardware but couldn't stand Android (which, granted, has improved significantly by now). This Slim Book case reminds me of the Transformer, and I really hope ZAGG can sort these issues out.

I have the ZAGG Cover Case for the iPad mini which is very similar to the slim book except it does not come with the back cover and is not reversible in the hinge. It happens to be on sale at Amazon for about $35, jump on this before they disappear…see link below. It is however much more secure in the hinge with this design (no wobble). I'll post a link to my review of this soon. I actually like the ZAGG Cover Case and might consider the same for my iPad Air 2. Only thing is you have to pair it up with a snap on back cover that has the smart cover magnet cut outs. And even then, you may still have to mod the back cover to fit with the hinge, if you are the crafty DIY type.

Also with regard to the keys, I have found that typing on a flat surface seems to work much better than on my lap.

ZAGG Cover Case from Amazon ($35)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...de=as2&tag=josgo03-20&linkId=PMVE66FCKKJ567SU

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I have the ZAGG Cover Case for the iPad mini which is very similar to the slim book except it does not come with the back cover and is not reversible in the hinge. It happens to be on sale at Amazon for about $35, jump on this before they disappear…see link below. It is however much more secure in the hinge with this design (no wobble). I'll post a link to my review of this soon. I actually like the ZAGG Cover Case and might consider the same for my iPad Air 2. Only thing is you have to pair it up with a snap on back cover that has the smart cover magnet cut outs. And even then, you may still have to mod the back cover to fit with the hinge, if you are the crafty DIY type.

Also with regard to the keys, I have found that typing on a flat surface seems to work much better than on my lap.

ZAGG Cover Case from Amazon ($35)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...de=as2&tag=josgo03-20&linkId=PMVE66FCKKJ567SU

Thanks for the heads-up Joe. I have to say that I've looked at that keyboard for a long time, but saw a lot of reviewers complaining that it peels off their screen protector. Plus the iPad is naked when it's out. That's why I'd love the Slim Book; protected inside the case, no issues with screen protector peel (afaik).

Honestly I've got a MacBook Pro and I don't really need this thing. Just something that looks cool, caught my eye, and I want to create a need to justify it. Still cheaper than my former sports car addiction haha.

JoeTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Thanks for the heads-up Joe. I have to say that I've looked at that keyboard for a long time, but saw a lot of reviewers complaining that it peels off their screen protector. Plus the iPad is naked when it's out. That's why I'd love the Slim Book; protected inside the case, no issues with screen protector peel (afaik).

Honestly I've got a MacBook Pro and I don't really need this thing. Just something that looks cool, caught my eye, and I want to create a need to justify it. Still cheaper than my former sports car addiction haha.

Haha. I'm with ya! I've got a sports car addiction as well in addition to electronics! LOL.

I also noticed that it bubbles the screen protector on the Mini. I can smooth them back out when I take it off, but naturally as soon as you put it back in, it happens again. The Slim Book appears to be the best alternative and the best of both worlds. Now if they can fix the wobble and loose fitting back cover, we'd be in good shape.

I'm happy to report that ZAGG has processed my replacement and has been shipped. I should have it in a few days (hopefully before the weekend). I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

Last edited:

JoeTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
New review available

I've put my review up of the ZAGG Keys Cover Case for the iPad Mini. This also compares it to the Slim Book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnSGFKWSjBE

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks Joe! Great review, I'll be looking for more of your reviews on YouTube. As soon as you snapped the Air's into the Slim Book I noticed the wobble. It's a shame, and I hope Zagg addresses the issue. I'm still holding out for the Slim Book; I'm just not wanting a keyboard that peels off my screen protector (yet another questionable decision by Zagg, the company that is known for screen protectors!). Keep us (me!) posted on the Slim Book situation. Thanks again.

Ps: I went to Best Buy to see if they had any Slim Books but none in stock :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.