Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neocell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this (didn't find it with a search) but when the System voice is set to Zarvox and you have Announce the Time enabled in Date and Time and the clock set to 24 hour clock and it's in the pm Zarvox says "six o'clock" rather than "eighteen hours" as the other voices I've tried do. I first noticed this in 10.4.2 and I thought that it was one of the 500 fixes for 10.4.3 but alas no, Zarvox is still speaking to me in 12-hour mode. Is this just my system or have others noticed this. Is there a fix? Thanks

neocell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Could those reading please give it a try (System Preferences > Speech > Text to Speech Tab > System Voice = Zarvox; System Preferences > Date & Time > Clock > Announce Time = on the hour and box checked) and post back if you get 12 or 24 hour time voicing. Thanks

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
I got the same result you did; Zarvox just told me it's 2:45 while the menu bar reads 14:45. Interesting finding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.