Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Hi guys. Just wanted to post a quick review of ZeroChroma's new Keyboard Slide-Lid case for iPad Air and Air 2. For those of you familiar with ZeroChroma, this is a new version of their Folio-Slide case for iPad Air/Air 2 that substitutes a thin Bluetooth keyboard for the plain cover that the original Folio-Slide case came with. In fact, if you already have a Folio-Slide case for your Air or Air 2, you can just buy the Bluetooth keyboard accessory and use that with your existing Folio-Slide case.

So, nice features on this case are:

• Bluetooth keyboard is easily attachable and detachable via the slide track on the iPad portion of the case.
  • Pairing is fast, easy and reliable
  • Nice key action
  • 100 days of standby and 60 hours of continuous use
  • Stand on the iPad portion of the case allows you to prop up your iPad in portrait or landscape orientation with an extremely wide variety of angles.
  • Bluetooth keyboard portion of the case is lined with a nice microfiber material on the part not occupied by the keys that feels nice to the touch and should be gentle on your iPad's screen
On the negative side, I wasn't crazy about the fact that the keys in the numbers row, including the backspace key, are smaller than the rest of the keys. I found this a bit disconcerting when typing. Also, the stand function works best on a table or other flat surface. If you are using it on your lap, you have to arrange it such that one leg or another is underneath the iPad case's stand. This was not an issue with the original Folio-Slide case, as you could flip the cover around to the back and rest the stand on the cover. I guess if you are not using the Bluetooth keyboard function, you could do the same with it, but if you want to be using the keyboard while propping this whole assemblage on your lap, it requires a few position adjustments. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. The Typo Keyboard case, which I recently reviewed, did not have this problem as its stand goes all the way across the back of the iPad case. However, this means that you are restricted to using it in landscape mode. And also, minor point, the Typo Keyboard case costs almost twice as much as the ZeroChroma one.

Overall, I think this is a great Bluetooth keyboard case and it is priced pretty fairly at $99 (or $69 if your already have a Folio-Slide case and you only need the keyboard part of it), and I really appreciate ZeroChroma sending it out to me to review. Here are a few pics and my YouTube review:

ZeroChroma-Keyboard-Slide-Lid-Case-for-iPad-Air-and-Air-2-Front-Attached-View.jpg

ZeroChroma-Keyboard-Slide-Lid-Case-for-iPad-Air-and-Air-2-Back-Stand-View.jpg

ZeroChroma-Keyboard-Slide-Lid-Case-for-iPad-Air-and-Air-2-Back-Stand-View-Portrait.jpg

ZeroChroma-Keyboard-Slide-Lid-Case-for-iPad-Air-and-Air-2-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Closeup.jpg

Thanks!

Kristin

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Good review again.

That case makes it look a bit like a giant Nokia 1020

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I have Zero Chroma Folio for my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 Plus. Both cases are awesome, but the problem is that the kickstand got loose after a few months. If I put up the kickstand where the piece of the plastic is at the bottom, the phone / iPad will fall down since the kickstand lose its grip.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I have Zero Chroma Folio for my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 Plus. Both cases are awesome, but the problem is that the kickstand got loose after a few months. If I put up the kickstand where the piece of the plastic is at the bottom, the phone / iPad will fall down since the kickstand lose its grip.
Wow--first I've heard of that issue. Did it get loose on both cases or just one? I believe they have a one year warranty--you should totally contact the company for help with this issue.

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
For now it only affect the case for my 6 Plus, since I use the kickstand more often than the one for my iPad Mini 3. I think it's by design, since the metal thingy held the iPhone by only by tension instead of a small "dimple" like other kickstand design.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
For now it only affect the case for my 6 Plus, since I use the kickstand more often than the one for my iPad Mini 3. I think it's by design, since the metal thingy held the iPhone by only by tension instead of a small "dimple" like other kickstand design.
Well, if I were you, I'd contact them. They seem like a very nice, quality oriented company, from everything I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.