Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
My wife Victoria continues to have trouble with her MacBook Air (Mojave):

1. To Zoom In or Out on my own MacBook (Monterey), I hold down the 2 keys to the left of the space-bar, and press + or - as required. Whichever command it is, the response is to change the screen in one small step at a time. If I do that on Victoria’s computer, the + command produces a sudden huge magnification, so that most of the screen vanishes. I must use the - command again and again to reduce the image in steps until I have got a satisfactory screen. Maddening.
2. Victoria’s Apple ID has become a mystery.
I launch AppStore on her MacBook.
I scroll down to Victoria (Surname).
I Choose View Information.
“Sign in to view account information” shows her email-address correctly as v*******@icloud.com.
The field for Password is of course blank.
I choose Forgot Apple ID or Password.
"Confirm Trusted Phone Number" shows her own and my mobile telephone-numbers.
I choose her number, and she gets a message on her mobile telephone inviting her to change her password.
She does so, and she receives an email-message from Apple confirming that her password had been reset.
The new password does not work…

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I use the Zoom accessibility feature all the time, but I have it set to work with a scroll gesture + modifier key, which in my case is the control key. So holding the control key and swiping up on the trackpad with two fingers zooms in and swiping down zooms out. But I can also use option-command with the +/- keys like you mentioned. Just throwing that out there in case you find scrolling to zoom in/out much better, which I do.

Have you checked on your wife's MacBook to be sure the Zoom style is set to "Full Screen"? Also check the "Advanced" options I've screenshotted how mine is set. Make sure her's is the same. Now, I'm on Ventura, so her settings may look different, but see what you can find. I think her maximum and/or minimum zoom settings might have been altered somehow?

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 1.39.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 1.43.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 1.43.06 PM.png

Last edited:

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I use the Zoom accessibility feature all the time, but I have it set to work with a scroll gesture + modifier key, which in my case is the control key. So holding the control key and swiping up on the trackpad with two fingers zooms and, and swiping down zooms out. But I can also use option-command with the +/- keys like you mentioned. Just throwing that out there in case you find scrolling to zoom in/out much better, which I do.

Have you checked on your wife's MacBook to be sure the Zoom style is set to "Full Screen"? Also check the "Advanced" options I've screenshotted how mine is set. Make sure her's is the same. Now, I'm on Ventura, so her settings may look different, but see what you can find. I think her maximum and/or minimum zoom settings might have been altered somehow?

View attachment 2183895
View attachment 2183897 View attachment 2183898
Thank you for this detailed and helpful reply. Let me come back about this tomorrow, please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.