Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I know you can double tap to zoom in with Apple Maps, but is there any way to zoom out with one hand? Obviously having to use two hands is a problem when driving, which is the reason I'm trying to find this out.

With the google maps app, you can zoom in and out with one hand by double tapping the screen, then holding the second tap down and moving up or down. I would just use google maps, but I hate how it doesn't remember any recent locations I've searched (i.e. some kind of history).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know you can double tap to zoom in with Apple Maps, but is there any way to zoom out with one hand? Obviously having to use two hands is a problem when driving, which is the reason I'm trying to find this out.
It's doing things like this while driving that causes so many accidents. I recommend pulling over to the side of the road before messing around with your iPhone or checking maps.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I know you can double tap to zoom in with Apple Maps, but is there any way to zoom out with one hand? Obviously having to use two hands is a problem when driving, which is the reason I'm trying to find this.

You can zoom in and out with a two finger pinch in or out.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Actually, it's easier than that. Double tap with one finger zooms in, single tap with two fingers zooms out. No pinching or expanding required.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Wow, I never knew that one about the single tap with two fingers.
Thanks!

No problem! I had the same question as the OP, but never knew an easier way to do it either, and then accidentally stumbled across that when I fat fingered a single tap gesture one time.

Glad to help!

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
No problem! I had the same question as the OP, but never knew an easier way to do it either, and then accidentally stumbled across that when I fat fingered a single tap gesture one time.

Glad to help!

I agree it's easier than pinching out with two fingers, but is this a practical way to zoom out while using Maps in the car? Then only way I can think of is using your thumb and index finger... But doing that makes it easy to drop the phone. Am I missing something?

OMAnders

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks!

I wish I had known this today - could've used it! single tap two fingers.. thank goodness for forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
I agree it's easier than pinching out with two fingers, but is this a practical way to zoom out while using Maps in the car? Then only way I can think of is using your thumb and index finger... But doing that makes it easy to drop the phone. Am I missing something?

Uhhh, yes. I think you are missing the part where you shouldn't be holding your phone in your hand while looking down and trying to zoom in/out of maps while trying to drive, as it's a danger and distraction. I personally don't hold the phone in my hand while driving, for the obvious safety reasons. I have it in a cradle near the top of my dashboard, so it's easy to view and reach over from the steering wheel, and single tap with two fingers to zoom out. If you don't have a phone in a cradle, then my only other suggestion is you pull the car over, and use two hands. One to hold, and one to single tap with two fingers to zoom out.

Not trying to sound preachy, just stating the facts.

----------

I wish I had known this today - could've used it! single tap two fingers.. thank goodness for forums.

Glad to help!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Get one of these for your car

jcchristopher

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
don't seem to be able to REALLY zoom out

I seem to have two size options with zooming. Is this normal? I'd really like to be able to see larger sections of the road and terrain than I am now able to.

NowConverted

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
London
I'm disappointed by these answers. It seems the only answer is "it's not possible to use the iPhone maps with one hand".

From a community that always said the smaller screen is fine because this way you can use it with one hand is disappointing.

Now, I understand you'd think I'm just trolling here but I'm thinking of switching to iPhone. I use my phone with one hand a lot while walking for directions etc and zoom in/out with one hand is great.

I seriously have no idea how you can tap with 2 fingers, even holding the phone with the other hand is not trivial anyway!

I apologise if I sound harsh, I'm not being rude, I'm just wondering if there is a way to use my future iPhone 6 with one hand while on the road :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm disappointed by these answers. It seems the only answer is "it's not possible to use the iPhone maps with one hand".

From a community that always said the smaller screen is fine because this way you can use it with one hand is disappointing.

Now, I understand you'd think I'm just trolling here but I'm thinking of switching to iPhone. I use my phone with one hand a lot while walking for directions etc and zoom in/out with one hand is great.

I seriously have no idea how you can tap with 2 fingers, even holding the phone with the other hand is not trivial anyway!

I apologise if I sound harsh, I'm not being rude, I'm just wondering if there is a way to use my future iPhone 6 with one hand while on the road :)
Use Google Maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.