Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
ZTE announces the Axon M, an AT&T exclusive folding phone

ap_resize.php

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/17/zte-axon-m-hands-zte-actually-made-kind-good-foldable-phone/

Overall, a [very cool] science experiment

I just threw up a little... I hope this isn't the desire for folding screen phones. Granted, probably a different approach than what Samsung is going for, but still... woof.

Last edited:

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
was ok-ish not great for web browsing as the screens had a break in them.
BUT it has the best cellular reception of ANY device I ever had!

I bought it as a gimmick but actually used it quite a bit.
GPU failed last week :(

Would love another but expensive for what it is now.
not very fast but never once crashed on me!

good for emails etc while out.
ereader worked really well.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
ZTE announces the Axon M, an AT&T exclusive folding phone

ap_resize.php

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/17/zte-axon-m-hands-zte-actually-made-kind-good-foldable-phone/

I just threw up a little... I hope this isn't the desire for folding screen phones. Granted, probably a different approach than what Samsung is going for, but still... woof.

I disagree, this IS the way to go for the near future. The issue is that they need to make it not have bezels so there is no center seam when open. This seems more like a prototype than anything else. But even with the bezel there is a lot of functionality. Mirroring the screens and bending it like a tent to share content or play games for example. Or just simply having 2 screens to multi task. Not everything has to be stretched across the 2 screens to be useful.

The reason I say foreseeable future is we don't have foldable screens yet, not truly foldable. What we have today are bendable screens. If you see all the prototypes and even the concepts they just bend in a radius, and leave behind a significant radius which means something somewhere is going to be very thick. Also even if we did have foldable, that will almost certainly be plastic and not glass. I don't know about you, but I'm not necessarily looking forward to going back to plastic screens.

But besides the prototype nature of this phone, it has other shortcomings. I still think it's the way to go, but maybe next year with the Axon M2 or something. One of the ZTE team already said they predict the seam will be gone in 2 years. They also need to reduce the top/bottom bezels a lot and of course make it a bit thinner.

Now long term the dream is still foldable screens, but I highly doubt a viable, truly foldable, mass produced phone will be out sooner than 5-7 years, and that's being optimistic. Although the more I think about it, the more IMO this is a superior design to a truly foldable screen, even when that technology does come around.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I'm pretty excited seeing manufacturers do something like this but get rid of that hinge area for a foldable OLED display. Lenovo has demoed this already in a prototype device and I expect the rumored Samsung device similar to this would use something like that.

To me a device like this just makes sense. My biggest beef with phones is that the displays are not wide enough to allow comfortably typing with the keyboard without using landscape which means you can fit little else but a keyboard on screen. As I nowadays use my phone less for calling people and more for watching the screen, being able to fold out into a small tablet sounds absolutely fantastic to me.

I can't see the Axon M device selling as it is too much of a prototype device at this point.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It looks awkward and a bit of an ergonomic nightmare as it currently is, but I like the concept and hope they keep refining it. We need a bit of a shake up, but going from one flat slab to two stuck together in quite that way isn’t ideal.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
LOVE what ZTE are doing here. Gives us a sneak peak at the evolution of the smartphone & how it'll converge into a mini tablet. Long way off before it's practical & robust enough, but it's exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.