Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Does anyone else feel like we are living in a world where there is a growing likelihood that we will only ever see concepts and never be able to purchase them, only pre-order them. Of course I don't want a Zune or a C2D PC, I want an iPod and a C2D Mac, but I keep receiving emails advertising the latest C2D laptops, only when I click to find out more I get an error message, or it can't tell me how long until it ships. I also look on Amazon.com or Play.com and see Zunes for which there is no price and no shipping date, I can leave my email though and they will get back to me. I can also spend hundreds of pounds and pre-order Vista, but when I will be sent it nobody knows. Has the world finally gone mad? OK, I'd pre-order a CD that I knew was definitely coming out in a week or two, but some software that's coming up in four, five, six, seven months? No thanks, I'll keep the interest myself not give it to a company that has too much money already. Who knows in six months my PC (hypothetical - I use a mac) might be broken and I might decide to buy a new one with Vista pre-installed.

My only worry is that Apple is starting to be forced down the same road (e.g. iTV), because with all these concepts around and appearing to be available Apple looks like they are behind when in fact they are not. I hope that Apple keep their integrity and do not start playing the same game, because my head is swimming with all the things I can buy at some unspecified point in the future.:confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'm afraid that Apple are already into this game. They took early orders for the MacBook Pro, the G5 towers, and sundry other products.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
yeah, but most Macbook Pro buyers at least were given
shipping dates (although they were delayed...)

I know some people that pre-ordered a CD from a really
underground industrial artist like a year and a half ago
and the CD still isn't done. No finish date has been given
either, just occasional emails saying "thanks for your patience,
the album is still coming"

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Well, no one's making you pre-order. I don't usually, unless I want the product ASAP and know it's gonna be sold out, but even then I'm not so impatient, I can wait a few days or weeks if necessary.

If certain products were ONLY available if you pre-ordered them, that would be a different story. I don't see that happening anytime soon or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.