Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
For those of you that have been interested in a Zune HD, I picked one up yesterday. It is an amazing media player, and if you have parallels installed with windows, it is very usable. I started windows 7 on the MBA with parallels, then downloaded and installed the Zune software. Once the Zune was connected, the software automatically updated the Zune firmware and all was good. The only thing I could not get to work was wireless syncing. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have this working. I also tried connecting the Zune without windows running, but the MBA never saw it, nor did iTunes. I expected it would be seen as a removable drive and allow manually moving video and music to, but no go. It is also setup out-of-the-box to be unusable, like an ipod, until it is connected for the first time. So without a windows installation, it is useless. Although it is an extremely nice unit, I decided to return it today due to it being so limited without windows. But I must say, the following were appealing:

1. It is a stunning design. Very industrial, and much lighter then the ipod touch. Has an executive look and feel.
2. Multi touch was VERY fast and fluid.
3. The accelerometer was VERY responsive.
4. It just fits your hand better then an ipod Touch. Small, thin and very comfortable to use.
5. The web browser is very nice. Pinch zoom was fast, and panning with a finger was very nice. Very "ipod touch like".
6. The HD radio was very nice. My first experience with HD radio.
7. Video on that screen is stunning.
8. Build quality is very high. Feels light, but tight.

Things I did not like:

1. No bluetooth. Very disappointing. This was a deal killer for me. Being able to use with bluetooth external stereo speakers/headphones should be standard by now for a high-end player like this. Plus I wanted to be able to use PAN to connect to my cell for web access on the go (like with my Nokia N810 and MBA).
2. I could not get wireless sync working, not a big deal since I would have to start windows every time I wanted to use it anyway, but still disappointing. Probably a setup issue on my machine, not MS fault.
3. No email capability. Maybe this will come with more apps, but out-of-box, nothing.

All in all, it was a nice experience. Unboxing was very "Apple like". The player was wrapped in the same plastic covering as a new MBA. There was a pull tab to remove it from the box (like the MBA), and the box was laid out in an Apple sort of way. MS is obviously mimicking Apple more then ever. It is almost shameful to some extent. But I am sure we all know the old saying...

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I agree with most of your points but I HATE the internet browser. I find it dificult to navigate and its slow compared to my ipod touch. Other than the web browser and no bluetooth I love it. Its screen is 300 times better than the ipod's. But it's software just doesnt compete with apple's. Neither the zunes operating system nor the zune marketplace can compete with iphone 3.1 and iTunes. If I could have the ipod's software on the zune and add bluetooth and mac support it would be a perfect device. I still plan on keeping mine to go along with my many ipods cause I still think its an excellent device.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
I agree with most of your points but I HATE the internet browser. I find it dificult to navigate and its slow compared to my ipod touch. Other than the web browser and no bluetooth I love it. Its screen is 300 times better than the ipod's. But it's software just doesnt compete with apple's. Neither the zunes operating system nor the zune marketplace can compete with iphone 3.1 and iTunes. If I could have the ipod's software on the zune and add bluetooth and mac support it would be a perfect device. I still plan on keeping mine to go along with my many ipods cause I still think its an excellent device.

Funny, I felt differently. I liked the browser and thought it was faster. I also liked the Zune Marketplace as far as speed. Itunes tends to be slow (of course most of my experience has been with the windows version, but that was probably windows. I have since found it difficult to do anything in windows now that I am a Mac person, amazing to me as it seems). I also forgot to mention the obvious 3d acceleration was impressive on the one game I tried out from the app store. As much as I liked the hardware, I just could not accept having to start up windows just to access it. If it would show up as an external drive in Mac OS and allow transfer of music/video files, I might have kept it. But I guess with my Palm Pre, apps, email, web and music are all at my fingertips anyway.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Any of you Zune HD owners owned the new Sony Walkman? Which one is better and whey? :D

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Any of you Zune HD owners owned the new Sony Walkman? Which one is better and whey? :D

I have played with the Sony, but not the Zune HD yet. However, from the reviews I have seen, the Sony is a way better if SQ is the key, since that is its most compelling and best feature(I have heard it being called the best sq on a mp3 yet). Another convenient feature is hardware controls, so you can change tracks, volume, or pause while keeping it in your pocket. The web browser is okay at best, the screen is very nice(not sure how it compares to the HD). Another issue is the price is a bit high compared to the Zune, and now compared to the new ipod touch prices(rumor is lower price and 64gb of space since they announce a 64gb device now). The Zune also has a better app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.