Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i was using my iBook (800, 32vram, 128mb ram-long story, don't ask...i really want 640mb but i can't put in any RAM) with OS X 10.2.6 on it when i opened up iChat AV and realized that i couldn't do audio chats. So i wondered what the f*** was going on and took a peek in System Preferences and found out that the iBook thought that there was no sound input or output device. That's weird...because earlier today with the same computer i was chatting with someone using the built in mic and listening to Evanescence using the speakers. Can anyone help?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
haveu tried reparing permissions? and checking the mic/volume settings? I've been able to use ichat AV, and itunes on with 10.2.6 running perfectly and i have the same computer

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Re: 10.2.6 won't recognize sound input/output devices

Originally posted by übergeek
i was using my iBook (800, 32vram, 128mb ram-long story, don't ask...i really want 640mb but i can't put in any RAM)

OK, I just have to ask. What happened? Did you fry the other memory slot or do you just need another memory module? I just added a 512MB to my iBook and I have an extra 128MB one I don't need now...

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Re: 10.2.6 won't recognize sound input/output devices

Originally posted by jimthorn
OK, I just have to ask. What happened? Did you fry the other memory slot or do you just need another memory module? I just added a 512MB to my iBook and I have an extra 128MB one I don't need now...
the ram cover won't come off lol
since i really don't want to do it myself, i'm taking it to macenthusiasts to get it off since that's what the apple store genius dude told me to do.
i have a 512mb stick somewhere...i should really go...maybe i'll go right now.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I had trouble upgrading the RAM on my iBook the first time I tried too. Those screws are REALLY sensitive to the size of the screwdriver you're using. It HAS to be a #0 Phillips-type screwdriver, or it just plain won't work.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by übergeek
the ram cover won't come off lol
since i really don't want to do it myself, i'm taking it to macenthusiasts to get it off since that's what the apple store genius dude told me to do.
i have a 512mb stick somewhere...i should really go...maybe i'll go right now.

:) Yes, your iBook will be much happier with 640MB of RAM. It's too bad the other 128MB is hardwired onto the board... 1GB would be nice.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I had trouble upgrading the RAM on my iBook the first time I tried too. Those screws are REALLY sensitive to the size of the screwdriver you're using. It HAS to be a #0 Phillips-type screwdriver, or it just plain won't work.

i did it with another screwdriver and pretty much stripped the screwsbut i eventualyl got them off and back in

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
i got one off but the other wouldn't. but i used a #1 phillips screwdriver. oops :p
well i got to macenthusiasts a little past 6, which is the time they close...so i was not really happy. The stripped screw's REALLY stripped, even the genius bar dude was surprised...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.