Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
The actual anniversary date was a few weeks ago, but I realized that it's now been ten years since what's basically the current version of Apple's iMovie was released. The interface was drastically cleaned up, taking a cue from the iOS version by just having a single horizontal "timeline" on the bottom (similar to the "classic" pre-2007 versions), and rendering and processing in the background (no more status bar interrupting your work!)
iMovie10-2023.jpg

Most of the features from iMovie '11 (released three years earlier in 2010) were carried over, including the Trailer creator and the Maps feature, the rubberband audio editing and effects, and a few other useful tidbits, but they also removed the Space Saver feature and DVD chapter mark creator (since iDVD had been discontinued by that time), slightly reduced the video export options, and made it so you could only work in 16:9 widescreen, though you could pillarbox 4:3 and 9:16 footage.
But despite version 10 having been out for, well, ten years now, it's had some minor updates over time, such as support for 4K video, additional video filter effects, and a few other odds and ends.
I actually do like still using iMovie 10 for many simpler videos, such as fursuit vlogs (like pictured here). But for anything else elaborate, or if I am working with an aspect ratio other than 16:9, that's when I use Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Cyberlink PowerDirector for Mac. In fact, because I found iMovie 10 somewhat unsuitable for making YouTube Poops, I decided the time was right to start mostly making them exclusively in Final Cut Pro, taking advantage of the extra video tracks, keyframe control, and wider variety of video and audio effects (including third-party plug-ins).

Will the next 10 years see this version finally get a somewhat bigger upgrade, like GarageBand got in November 2020? We shall see...

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
I dont think so. This was Apple bench product for editing with some wonderful software. Then FCP came out and Apple has no interest. Just include the software in new computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.