Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best iPad Pro ?

• Total voters

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I own the 12.9 and a 10.5. I’m purchasing the 11 inch pro. The 12.9 is smaller this year. I just don’t think it’s as portable as the 11 inch. I never take my 12.9 with me on trips or to work. I don’t use the 12.9 in bed or in my truck. The 11 inch is the right size for me. I carry a windows laptop for my classes. The 11 inch will be less bulk to add to my laptop bag. The 12.9 inch is great for videos and getting things done at home. I might have to go by a apple store to compare the new size of the 12.9. At this moment I have the 11 inch on preorder.
[doublepost=1540996695][/doublepost]
Who are we kidding, just buy both!
Tempting. Don’t think the wife would like it.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think price wise the 11 inch is more acceptable

£1,500 for basically pro 12.9/keyboard and pencil is a lot.

Least £1,300 is slightly more acceptable

Reactions: BillyiPad95

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
It's 5 ounces heavier.... Maybe an issue if you're 5'2" lol. Also don't get the "giant book" and "too big for notes" comments. It's literally the exact same size as a sheet of paper...

I agree. It’s actually only 4 ounces heavier. Lol Definitely going with the 12.9”.

I wonder how many peoples decision is based on price difference as opposed to size and weight as the weight somehow seems to be bothering people. A sheet of paper is pretty portable to me. ;)

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Ordered an 11 inch 256gb WiFi. I used to always get LTE but now that tethering is so seamless with an iPhone to apple devices, no point in spending the extra money. Used that towards the keyboard and new pencil :)

Was thinking of getting the 12.9 but I still carry around my MacBook for windows and desktop applications

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I literally just cut out a piece of paper the size of the 11" specs and am comparing it with a normal 8.5" x 11" piece of paper (basically the 12.9 specs). Still can't decide. :/

It’s a great size. Just get the bigger display. Never wanna regret not going big enough. If you wind up not liking it just return it within the 14 day return window.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It’s a great size. Just get the bigger display. Never wanna regret not going big enough. If you wind up not liking it just return it within the 14 day return window.
Well like I said, I have a 15" MBP so I'm not wanting something that is basically redundant size-wise. I used to have the original 12.9" Pro from 2015 and sold it when I bought my MBP.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Well like I said, I have a 15" MBP so I'm not wanting something that is basically redundant size-wise. I used to have the original 12.9" Pro from 2015 and sold it when I bought my MBP.

I am in the same boat. The 15” MBP is a beast, both in terms of capability and size.

I ended up going 11” / 256 / Space Grey. I’m coming off of an iPad Pro 9.7 Gen 1, which certainly felt comfortable in hands and carrying.

11” is a big step up, but it also still feels like a tablet, whereas at 12.9 you are entering laptop/MBP 13” territory.

Sure, the writing surface and videos in 12.9 are a bit better, but for me, the trade-off in portability is not worth it. Also keep in mind the 11” has a wider aspect ratio, so it’s still quite nice for media!

Reactions: gotong

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014

I gave my opinion because you said you still couldn’t decide. Looks like you made up your mind. :)

Reactions: gotong

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I use the 12.9 for drawing my own comic strips, but it's always been a bit unwieldy. Now that the smaller one is bigger, maybe that's the sweet spot?

The smaller one is bigger, and the bigger one is smaller! Surprised this thread isn’t bigger because it’s certainly a more difficult decision compared to last year 10.5 vs 12.9. It literally made me login to my Macrumors account once again!

But at the end of the day, it’s crazy to think anyone wouldn’t be happy with either one. Both are at the pinnacle of current technology.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Note that for a same task, the 12.9 inch will use more processing power than the 11 inch due to the 12.9 having more resolution

I have seen this happening on a very intense game when I compared my 2017 12.9 inch to the 10.5 inch. There is no lags on the 10.5 inch while there is some minor lags on 12.9 inch

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
It's 5 ounces heavier.... Maybe an issue if you're 5'2" lol. Also don't get the "giant book" and "too big for notes" comments. It's literally the exact same size as a sheet of paper...

That did make me LoL...quite literally...because, I am, literally, a 5’2” male!!!

At the moment, undecided on whether to order an 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro. I currently use (& love) my iPad Mini 4. Part of me wants to wait until an updated Mini is launched, but another part of me thinks, go from one extreme to the other, keep the Mini 4, but have a 12.9inch Pro too....and then I think, maybe 11” would be a good compromise between big & small? Oh my head hurts...if only there was an iPad Mini Pro, everything would be simpler!

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I gave my opinion because you said you still couldn’t decide. Looks like you made up your mind. :)
I changed again from the 11 to the 12.9" When I held the 11" cutout up to my MBP, that seemed ridiculously tiny; the 12.9" is still smaller than my 15" MBP, so I went that route. Best Buy is probably like "WTH is up with all of these orders and cancellations?" :)

Reactions: Rangers94

Socalshocker

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
I won’t throw all the stats and reasoning at you cause you probably already know. I was in the same boat as you though and here’s my easy answer:

Reactions: George Dawes

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
I was toying with the idea of a 12.9 since its smaller now, but after listing out all my use cases for an iPad, I think 11 is the sweet spot.

Reasoning for the 11:
- I have a TV to watch movies, don't need the biggest screen. Video would mainly be Youtube, and 11 is fine for that.
- 11 is lighter to carry and easier to use in portrait, which is the orientation I use it in majority of the time
- 12.9 I feel is better suited for landscape mode with keyboard, which I mainly only use in that orientation for Youtube or multi-tasking
- 11 is basically the same footprint as the current iPad with the screen all the way to the edge, which honestly is perfect
- Save $$$

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
I want to know if the new 11 inch one is still limited to using iphone version of apple iOS apps when multitasking in landscape. Does anyone know?

If the answer is still yes, despite the tremendous power of the new device, I would have to say that the 25% less volume new 12.9 version is definitely the way to go.

The real tough decision is to get the 1TB version and get 6 Gb of RAM or get the 512 Gb version with 4Gb of RAM.

Edit: Thanks Ace for responding to my question so quickly. Did you try it at the announcement? How were you able to get your hands on the new device?

Ace, even with the increased resolution on the new 11?

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I want to know if the new 11 inch one is still limited to using iphone version of apple iOS apps when multitasking in landscape. Does anyone know?

If the answer is still yes, despite the tremendous power of the new device, I would have to say that the 25% less volume new 12.9 version is definitely the way to go.

The real tough decision is to get the 1TB version and get 6 Gb of RAM or get the 512 Gb version with 4Gb of RAM.
50/50 split still gives compact layouts on the 11”

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Iiiiii dont know folks, I was just sitting at a ramen restaurant, having my lunch, and was reading something on the 10.5“. It was perfect. I was imagining for a moment to have to put the still massive 12,9“ on this tiny table next to my plate and immediately felt like 11“ was the right choice. Now back at home I want the 12,9“ again.

I think no matter how small they made it, but in general for extreme portability and an absolutely unobtrusive look that doesn’t strike people as „oh, he‘s working on his computer“, the smaller one is probably the way to go. Still, I so wish we could check them out at the store right now..

Infiniteconstancy

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
Ordered an 11 inch 256gb WiFi. I used to always get LTE but now that tethering is so seamless with an iPhone to apple devices, no point in spending the extra money. Used that towards the keyboard and new pencil :)

Was thinking of getting the 12.9 but I still carry around my MacBook for windows and desktop applications
This is my dilema. I’ve never had the LTE model but have a wireless hotspot for work and my iPhone. Trying to figure out if I should do a LTE for once or stick to WiFi. LTE also means paying the $30 a month.

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Something to consider is that the 11” aspect ratio stretched horizontally and became better for 16:9,18:9, and 21:9 aspect ratio media. You get a 15% increase in area for 16:9 content over the 10.5” Pro. You’re basically getting a taller display this time with the 11” and as a result the increased area is only 7.75% over the 10.5” Not even close to the 17.5% increase the 10.5” gave over the 9.7”.
I wondered if you had done the same maths for the 12 incher ? How much of the screen is actually going to get used by a 16:9 movie ?
Sorry, my adding up isn't up to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.