Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
What is the difference between the 14inch MacBook Pro and the Studio if everything is spec'd the same (Max, 64 RAM, 2 TB). Obviously the MacBook Pro will be more expensive but what about fan noise and performance?

I have a MacBook Air and ordered a Studio Max. Now I'm thinking just getting a 14in MacBook Pro Max with the same specs as the Studio Max would have. It would be cheaper to maintain one laptop than a laptop and a Studio.

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
It depends what you plan to do with it, and presumably if the Mac Studio is clocked any higher than the MBP.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Getting a Mac Studio and keeping the MacBook Air will be much cheaper for you.
Yes, it would be less expensive to keep the Air; however, the work I do is not easy on the 13 inch screen, which would be improved slightly by moving to the 14 inch. And 16gb ram isn't enough with the work I do in a virtual machine. I've been thinking about maybe upgrading when the new airs come out if they allow more than 16gb ram.

It's actually 1000 cheaper for me to trade in my air, buy a Max 14 MP Pro and a 40 inch Ultrawide than it is to buy a Max Studio with two Studio displays - but I'm also not sure about that trade off. Lot's to think about.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Depends on how you plan to work. If you want to have a desktop computer and don't need all the power on the move, keep the MacBook Air and have the Studio on your desk.

If you need a powerful machine on the move, get a laptop and use it docked when at home.

The Studio will have improved thermals, so like identically-specced 14 & 16" MBPs, the 16" will perform slightly better (in simple terms) with sustained loads as it can cool more effectively. Or the fans will blow less.

Reactions: GCC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.