Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steferrari

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2023
Italy
Hi everyone!

I noticed that whenever I put my recently bought 15 Pro Max on a wireless charger, there is a background noise going on.

It's really, really light, but if you have good hearing you can feel it, especially in the quiet environment of a bedroom, at night time.

I initially tried with this old mophie (the one that was launched with the iPhone X, some of you might remember it).

I thought that maybe the charger was too old or that it was struggling to provide adeguate power to the 15 PM, but I just tried with this Belkin that my father bought for his phone a few days ago and the noise is still there.

Neither of them is a MagSafe charger but I don't think it should matter, no?

I'm not even 100% sure if the sound comes from the phone itself or from the chargers: when I put my ear close to the display, the sound is very light... when I put it close to the back of the charger (while I hold phone and charger together to make sure that they don't lose contact), I can feel that the noise is louder.

There's no noise when charging with a cable.

I'm getting a bit paranoid and I'm scared that my 15 PM might have something wrong.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Last edited:

steferrari

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2023
Italy
I feel a bit stupid, just tried with my old iPhone X and I can hear exactly the same noise if I put my ear on the back of the charger while the phone is charging. 😄

Probably lower though, but it's there.

Maybe I have mega sensitive ears. 🤣

steferrari

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2023
Italy
Ok so I investigated a bit more into this.

This is the noise, by the way: http://sndup.net/nv3d

I increased the volume of the file so it's not that loud in real life, but as I said you can hear it at night time.

I realised that this has something to do with positioning and contact patch.

The 15 Pro Max obviously has a very bulky camera bump, so sometimes it doesn't lay totally flat on the charger.

And this is when the noise is louder.

If you move the phone around a little bit, and make sure that the camera bump is not on the way, the noise becomes quieter (probably similar to iPhone X, essentually inaudible).

On the mophie it's impossible to get the camera bump out of the way because when you do that, you lose the "charging patch" and it stops charging.

With my father's Belkin you can, but at this point I'll probably just get something MagSafe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.