Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
9600?

I guess that would have to be a Radeon Mobility 9600 or something. They wouldn't dare to put a 9000 in it, would they? Right? Right? Anyone?

edit: typo

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by Fadl
A ATI 9600 Pro with 128MB would be really really nice :)

that'd be better than all of the powermac options except for the 9800... I don't think they'll do it. 9600 with 64 MB seems much more reasonable and likely. That would still be very nice.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Fadl
A ATI 9600 Pro with 128MB would be really really nice :)

But would definitely be too hot and power hungry. But I sure hope they don't leave it alone. imagine how behind it would be in another 10 months when the next poerbooks come out. :D

Ti_Pousin

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Canada
Woowowoo, probably a radeon 9600, great! nVidia mobility solution suck! my radeon 9000 mobility 32VRAM in my current powerbook is good, I love it, I would never have bought the 17' pb in it's current spec cause of the video card. Tought I would like to change my Ti 867MHz 15' for a Ti 1GHz 15' only to get the 64 VRAM.

Sometime I love playing games:cool:

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
This site used to make sense...

But now they're sounding more and more like MacWhispers...

First there was the rumor about the OS on the new PB ( some had 10.2.7, some had Panther, some had Panther lite??? ) and next the rumor the PB's would not be announced in Paris.

Now that every reliable site says that Paris will be it, the come out with this CYA ( cover your ass ) story that the PB's are ready to ship...

Geez! :rolleyes:

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
At this point in time...

...Steve Jobs himself could walk into my house, put a 15" AL pbook into my hands , turn on the RDF, show me how great it is and I'd still not believe they existed!

It's gonna take a lot more than a few web sites saying they've been released to make me believe I can tell you.

I'm not convinced the dual G5's really exist anymore so why should I believe any PBook announced in Paris is likely to be any more real?

:-(

Sceptical?! Moi!?
e.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The radeon mobility 9600 would put some serious graphics power in the PowerBook...

They would also make the 12" PowerBook very nice...

I just think nVidia's mobile offerings are underpowered, and even though Apple is under space/power/heat constraints with their PowerBooks, it wouldn't hurt to put in a very nice graphics card.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Stelliform
But would definitely be too hot and power hungry. But I sure hope they don't leave it alone. imagine how behind it would be in another 10 months when the next poerbooks come out. :D

Having 128mb instead of 64mb in the graphics card would not make more heat or take anymore power that you would notice the difference. Putting more RAM in a PB G4 does not make any difference to the heat or power usage.

Anyway I will be very supprised if it is not a Radeon 9600M since Apple has improved the graphics in almost every powerbook revision since the original PB G3 came out.

PB G3 233-292Mhz ATI Rage LT
PB G3 233-300Mhz ATI Rage Pro M
PB G3 300-400Mhz ATI Rage 128M
PB G3 400-500Mhz ATI Rage 128M
PB G4 400-500Mhz ATI Rage 128M AGP
PB G4 550-667Mhz ATI Radeon 7200M
PB G4 667-800Mhz ATI Radeon 7500M
PB G4 867-1000Mhz ATI Radeon 9000M

ABassCube

macrumors newbie
Yeah the 9600 would be nice in the PowerBooks. It would definitely have 64 megs; they would NOT have more V-RAM than all of the normal Power Mac models (not custom-ordered). They really have to put the 9800 or at least the 9600 with 128 megs of RAM in at least the dual 2 GHz machine. The graphics cards in Macs are still pathetic compared to PCs. :(

Adam

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
The rumors sites are (mostly) acting like this round of 'books will use Nvidia chips. Hopefully that will mean that at least some of the 'books will have 128MB Geforce 5600s. They're not as good as the Radeon 9600, but they're a heck of a lot better than what's in there now...

As long as some of the 'books have either Radeon 9600s or Geforce 5600s with 128MB I'll think Apple's at least being semi-competant. If they stick something like a Geforce 5200 in a high end model, I'll laugh and go upgrade my x86 box instead :(

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Originally posted by Puppies
If they stick something like a Geforce 5200 in a high end model, I'll laugh and go upgrade my x86 box instead :(

Now there's a mix-up for you.

If Apple doesn't put such-and-such in the Powerbooks then I'll go spend my money on a Windoze Desktop?!?

What? Are you going to pack your desktop into your backback and set it up whenever you want to use it?

Not very relevant to a Powerbook Discussion.

lynnpye

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by BigJayhawk

If Apple doesn't put such-and-such in the Powerbooks then I'll go spend my money on a Windoze Desktop?!?

What? Are you going to pack your desktop into your backback and set it up whenever you want to use it?

Not to defend a Windows use, but it does make a little sense if a) you opted for a Powerbook as a desktop replacement (as I did) and b) you chose to do so knowing that your laptop needs were minimal but still useful in some circumstances (as it is for me).

I only rarely have need to unplug my PB 15" and travel with it, but it was useful enough for me to want the portability and I could do without some of the PowerMac features, like expandability.

Unfortunately with the new G5 options available currently only on the desktop, and since we are considering upgrading my wife's iMac, I'm torn. She wants a laptop, but I'm not sure about how long the current models are going to remain available. I would prefer to step in with the first G5 PB iteration. Ugh. Choice. :confused:

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Originally posted by hvfsl
Having 128mb instead of 64mb in the graphics card would not make more heat or take anymore power that you would notice the difference. Putting more RAM in a PB G4 does not make any difference to the heat or power usage.

I could be totally wrong, but if there is more RAM, doesn't that mean there is more circuitry (hence resistance) that needs to be driven? That would increase the power requirements right?

Honestly though, I know very little EE and CompE so if someone knows better and could clarify that would be great.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
so Apple has never released a PowerBook without a video upgrade. i just hope they continue that trend with the new PB's. i'm not too sure whether or not to trust PowerPage.org though...:rolleyes:

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
BigJayhawk:

Lynnpye:
Not to defend a Windows use, but it does make a little sense if a) you opted for a Powerbook as a desktop replacement (as I did) and b) you chose to do so knowing that your laptop needs were minimal but still useful in some circumstances (as it is for me).

I only rarely have need to unplug my PB 15" and travel with it, but it was useful enough for me to want the portability and I could do without some of the PowerMac features, like expandability.

Unfortunately with the new G5 options available currently only on the desktop, and since we are considering upgrading my wife's iMac, I'm torn. She wants a laptop, but I'm not sure about how long the current models are going to remain available. I would prefer to step in with the first G5 PB iteration. Ugh. Choice.

I was going to buy a PowerBook and use it as my main system at home and work. Increasingly I’m realizing that as much as I hate to admit it, the three main apps I use work better (or only) on Windows…so it’s already iffy as to whether I should be buying a Mac at all right now. If Apple puts outdated hardware in a PowerBook, that makes my decision that much easier.

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Ugh, I hope they DON'T have higher resolution screens, or that it's an option. I wouldn't buy an LCD with a higher resolution than the 15 and 17" PowerBooks already have.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
Originally posted by hvfsl
Anyway I will be very supprised if it is not a Radeon 9600M since Apple has improved the graphics in almost every powerbook revision since the original PB G3 came out.

PB G3 233-292Mhz ATI Rage LT
PB G3 233-300Mhz ATI Rage Pro M
PB G3 300-400Mhz ATI Rage 128M
PB G3 400-500Mhz ATI Rage 128M
PB G4 400-500Mhz ATI Rage 128M AGP
PB G4 550-667Mhz ATI Radeon 7200M
PB G4 667-800Mhz ATI Radeon 7500M
PB G4 867-1000Mhz ATI Radeon 9000M

I know this is just nit-picking.....but;

PB G3 300-400Mhz ATI Rage LT Pro
PB G3 400-500Mhz ATI Rage 128M AGP

The Rage 128M inside the Pismo is on a 2X AGP bus. I'm unsure about the Lombard, but I think that was just on a standard PCI bus.

p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.