Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schalliol

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
My last couple of Macs have key marks on their screens, which of course is really irritating. My current is a late 18 i9, so I haven’t seen results in the current form factor. I’m getting a new 16 and wonder if I need to get something like this to avoid in the long run keyboard damage to the screen. Thanks!

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I know this thread is old but thought it deserved a reply since in my experience with a 14” M3 they do. So I can’t speak for the 16” directly but I’d imagine it’s a similar story.

Mine is only a month-old but is already getting keyboard marks on the screen when I close the lid. However they do wipe off easily with a cloth and so far there’s nothing permanent.

I haven’t tried one of those keyboard covers. For now I’m just keeping the screen tissue paper that was shipped with the packaging and if I close the lid for a while I’ll probably just pop that in there.

It seems like the screen keyboard marks have always been an intermittent problem—some screens get them and some don’t. Although I’m sure individuals’ care comes into play, I also think some units have tighter tolerances than others with the lid closed, and that fraction of a mm causes oils and dirt from your fingers to get transferred to the screen somehow.

Last edited:

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Same thing on my 16”, marks on the screen but clean off (for now)
Yeah, they don’t seem to be leaving damage like they used to. I’ve had older MBs with pretty bad delaminating. But for us it may still be too early to tell as over time the finger oils could still possibly eat away the oleophobic coating.

Did you end up trying the micro fiber cloth protector? I’ve noticed in other threads people say they work well. I’m a little apprehensive because even though they are thin the tolerance between the screen and keyboard is already razor thin, which is unfortunately part of why this issue happens in the first place!

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
My last couple of Macs have key marks on their screens, which of course is really irritating. My current is a late 18 i9, so I haven’t seen results in the current form factor. I’m getting a new 16 and wonder if I need to get something like this to avoid in the long run keyboard damage to the screen. Thanks!
Yup, I have same issue with my work M2/Air and my M1/PRO/16", the keyboard imprint! You spend thousands on a laptop expecting quality, and yet apple lets a simple screen clearance flaw pass like this?!

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I didn’t get one, but it might be a good idea. Do you know one people particularly like?
I’ve heard the ones made by RadTech are recommended. I just ordered one myself for when the paper Apple provides eventually wears out. We’ll see how it goes.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Yup, I have same issue with my work M2/Air and my M1/PRO/16", the keyboard imprint! You spend thousands on a laptop expecting quality, and yet apple lets a simple screen clearance flaw pass like this?!
It is pretty frustrating, especially for what we pay for the supposed Apple “premium.” Maybe even more so that not all units seem to be affected. I had an M1 Pro and an M2 Pro were both unaffected as far as I could tell. But I got unlucky with my M3 😕

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Yeah, they don’t seem to be leaving damage like they used to.

They do. I already had my 16" M3 Max screen replaced due to pitting and... already see some minor damage on the 1 month old replacement. I am extremely gentle with these screens and wipe them and the keyboard down daily with a damp microfiber cloth.

They appear to be as fragile as the screens on my M1 Pros were. Never had issues like this with earlier screens on about a dozen other MBP/MBAs, aside from staingate on a 13" rMBP about a decade ago.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
They do. I already had my 16" M3 Max screen replaced due to pitting and... already see some minor damage on the 1 month old replacement. I am extremely gentle with these screens and wipe them and the keyboard down daily with a damp microfiber cloth.

They appear to be as fragile as the screens on my M1 Pros were. Never had issues like this with earlier screens on about a dozen other MBP/MBAs, aside from staingate on a 13" rMBP about a decade ago.
It appears you’re right. Today I noticed the first pit on the right middle of my screen. It’s really hard to notice though; it can really only be seen under a flashlight or bright sunlight; in bright sun I noticed a few other even more subtle marks.

I have AC+ but I’m not going to bother worrying about replacing it too much until they become truly noticeable with the screen on or off in more normal lighting conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.