Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Neynaud

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2023
First of all, I'd to say a massive thanks for all those put so much effort and info here to revive our beloved iMac. This is simply amazing!

I have an iMac 12,2 / 6970M / 12Go Ram + SSD, working super fine with High Sierra (for years). I am willing to update it with a WX4150 that I purchased to upgrade MacOS to Sonoma (as a few already did).
I have planned for WEEKS before opening my iMac to prepare very carefully my operation. I had dismantled my 6970M and ovened it a couple of times in the past years, so some experience opening the iMac.
I managed to find a WX4150 Green Dell V343 VER1.1.
I could not test the GPU before starting the installation (don't have the hardware to do so).

I have followed very carefully the steps to update
- remove 6970M, replace with WX4150, with copper shim etc..
- reinstalled, before flashing get only 2 LED on the motherboard (assumed normal, as not flashed)
- flashed with GRML (using SSH from MacBookPro)
- After flashing, reboot and I can only see 2 LEDs, not 3, that seems to indicate an issue with the GPU
- on reboot, I can hear the typical mac sound and get even get the EFI boot picker but then, I have a black screen (internal display). I can see the mac is running from shared screen on my MacBookPro (see screen shot below).

To finish, I have tried all the different VBIOS for WX4150 on the repository.
- the enableGOP ones (EG) offer EFI boot camp but I have a black screen after booting on my SDD
- the GOP ones have no EFI boot camp (as plan) - screen stays black but iMac is running.

I have not used (never used) OCLP and never tried (so far).

My question is: you opinion? did I missed something or simply the GPU is dead?
Many thanks in advance for your support.

Attachments

• WX4150 enableGOP1.png
    WX4150 enableGOP1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • WX4150 enableGOP3.png
    WX4150 enableGOP3.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 35
  • WX4150 enableGOP2.png
    WX4150 enableGOP2.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 36
  • WX4150 GOP.png
    WX4150 GOP.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33

Neynaud

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2023
You missed Post#1;
Spoiler 2. Working AMD graphic cards
=> AMD GCN v4 => Known issues No. 5.

And your issue was just discussed in 2 posts right above yours.
Dear Nguyen,
Thank you for your answer. I'll dig out in that direction.
For complete transparency, I had anticipated that issue and from the start connected an external display on the Thunderbolt 2 port (tested and working fine prior the update). It did not display anything (so far, will try again) so I was looking in another direction.
Also, having only 2 LEDs after the flashing left me believe it may be an hardware issue.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Dear Nguyen,
Thank you for your answer. I'll dig out in that direction.
For complete transparency, I had anticipated that issue and from the start connected an external display on the Thunderbolt 2 port (tested and working fine prior the update). It did not display anything (so far, will try again) so I was looking in another direction.
Also, having only 2 LEDs after the flashing left me believe it may be an hardware issue.

A hardware issue couldn't have gotten you the EFI boot picker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neynaud

e-tip

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Hi Everyone. I'm a happy owner of the imac you can find in the signature. I use it mainly for light jobs and to maintain one objective-C app i've made in the past. Until High Sierra the iphone simulator worked correctly ( even if a little slowly ) and it was ok as the app was intended to support only iOS 15. Now, the owner wants to update it to support ios 17, but i see that there's known issues with Kepler and iphone Simulator ( the sim start but the "screen" remains black ).
So reading here and there people suggest to update to an AMD card ( 4130 or 4150 would be my choice ). Do you know if newer iphone sims works with these cards ?
TIA

Zuuro

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
I guess it's simple a mismatch in OCLP configuration (GTX880m vs RX480)
1. Take out the drive to work on another Mac.
2. Purge the OCLP patch on that drive. Google on how to do.
3. Run OCLP again, MANUALLY configure it to match with your iMac and GPU. Overwrite it on the EFI volume of the drive.
4. Put it back to iMac 2009 and boot to see if it could fix your issue.
I re-install High Sierra with a bootable usb and re-patch everything. Now its work.

Anyone got virtual machine like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion working on iMac 11,1 (Late 2009 27")?
Crossover is working, but not other. Its said driver broken/missing.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

SenileOtaku

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2024
When you say the AMD WX3200 doesn't offer VA (I'm presuming you mean VA-API, Video Acceleration API), would this also undermine open-source applications? I don't see my daughter ever using FinalCut or Davinci, but OBS, Blender, VLC, just to start with *would* be in use.

trevs7447

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2023
When you say the AMD WX3200 doesn't offer VA (I'm presuming you mean VA-API, Video Acceleration API), would this also undermine open-source applications? I don't see my daughter ever using FinalCut or Davinci, but OBS, Blender, VLC, just to start with *would* be in use.
I've got a WX3200 and my son uses OBS, Roblox, Minecraft and other such software and there are no problems. I'm even running Sonoma.

Igerald12

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2024
Quick question: I just saw a post on LinuxMint Forums stating that the Nvidia Quadro K1100M works fine under Linux Mint. If that is true, and because I have LM as my primary OS (High Sierra is my secondary OS) can I simply flash the GPU from within Linux Mint after swapping the new GPU in?
If yes, I would just have to open the terminal (where the rom is located) and bash it?
Thanks so much in advance
is mod nikey22 or nicky

flyingatm

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
Hello! I just upgraded my iMac 12.1's HDD to SSD and HD6750M to Nvidia K2100m together today. But after everything, when I power up the system I can hear fans are spinning and the chime sound. But nothing happens. No blacklight on the screen. 2 leds are lighting on the mobo. Tried to boot nvram from linux, put the USB and waited for minutes but nothing happens. Checked the screen with a light if the problem is brightness but no luck.

When I back to the old GPU, all good.

This GPU was from a HP zbook 15's card and it was working...

What could be wrong?

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hello! I just upgraded my iMac 12.1's HDD to SSD and HD6750M to Nvidia K2100m together today. But after everything, when I power up the system I can hear fans are spinning and the chime sound. But nothing happens. No blacklight on the screen. 2 leds are lighting on the mobo. Tried to boot nvram from linux, put the USB and waited for minutes but nothing happens. Checked the screen with a light if the problem is brightness but no luck.

When I back to the old GPU, all good.

This GPU was from a HP zbook 15's card and it was working...

What could be wrong?

No thing is wrong, except that your system has not been adjusted with the new graphic card, or your new graphic card K2100m has not been adjusted to fit with the iMac 12,1 system.

Without an appropriate vBIOS flashed to K2100m, the chances for it to be able to control the LCD panel and display anything is low.

Last edited:

flyingatm

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
No thing is wrong, except that your system has not been adjusted with the new graphic card, or your new graphic card K2100m has not been adjusted to fit with the iMac 12,1 system.

Without an appropriate vBIOS flashed to K2100m, the chances for it to be able to control the LCD panel and display anything is low.
Ty for your reply! Today I ordered a CH341A clip programmer since I know card is not faulty. Thinking it's vbios didn't flashed well and has some issues. I hope it helps...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ty for your reply! Today I ordered a CH341A clip programmer since I know card is not faulty. Thinking it's vbios didn't flashed well and has some issues. I hope it helps...

As your iMac has booted with K2100 (the chime could be heard), you can use the GRML Linux USB to boot and flash the proper vBIOS for K2100. Check post #1 again for how-to and the files needed to flash.
After flashing, K2100 may not kick-start the bootscreen without Opencore EFI, you will need to press and hold Option.
I haven't tried K2100m, but when I upgraded my iMac with K1100m, the same issue happened. I had to press Option to display the boot-screen, and then select the only High Sierra volume to boot.
After installing OCLP, the bootscreen pops up normally without pressing Option.
I guess K2100m will behave similar to my K1100m.

flyingatm

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
As your iMac has booted with K2100 (the chime could be heard), you can use the GRML Linux USB to boot and flash the proper vBIOS for K2100. Check post #1 again for how-to and the files needed to flash.
After flashing, K2100 may not kick-start the bootscreen without Opencore EFI, you will need to press and hold Option.
I haven't tried K2100m, but when I upgraded my iMac with K1100m, the same issue happened. I had to press Option to display the boot-screen, and then select the only High Sierra volume to boot.
After installing OCLP, the bootscreen pops up normally without pressing Option.
I guess K2100m will behave similar to my K1100m.

I already tried that. Unplugged all other drives and and put the USB stick that contains GRML linux usb files. It was booting after a few minutes on old GPU. After I see that, I changed GPU to the Nvidia again and tried to get to GRML screen. But no, no luck. There is no even backlight. I don't know if it's because I need PRAM reset first because my only keyboard is bluetooth mac keyboard maybe it's not recognized my key presses...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
I already tried that. Unplugged all other drives and and put the USB stick that contains GRML linux usb files. It was booting after a few minutes on old GPU. After I see that, I changed GPU to the Nvidia again and tried to get to GRML screen. But no, no luck. There is no even backlight. I don't know if it's because I need PRAM reset first because my only keyboard is bluetooth mac keyboard maybe it's not recognized my key presses...

Of course there would be no display on the iMac. You have to remote control it from another computer (including your phone or tablets) to type the flash command. You haven't read the guideline specifically on how to flash with the GRML Linux, have you?

flyingatm

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
Of course there would be no display on the iMac. You have to remote control it from another computer (including your phone or tablets) to type the flash command. You haven't read the guideline specifically on how to flash with the GRML Linux, have you?
OMG! YES! IT WORKED NOW!!! WOOOW! TYSM!!!!

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Imac 2011 - WX7100

Time for my other iMac, this time a WX7100 install. Sourced for a company in Poland for 200 Euro.

IMG_2623.jpeg

IMG_2622.jpeg

Used old X-bracket from HD6970M.
3-pipe heatsink. No mods on heatsink.
Used K4 on GPU diode and K5 on Ram etc.
Could not flash bios with -p, but -f -p did the job.
I have tried "WX7100-EnableGop.rom" and "WX7100-EnableGop_ALT_VRAM.rom" the Valley results got higher with the ALT_VRAM rom.

No problem so far, got EFI boot-screen and brightness control in both Sonoma and Windows.

Performance, Valley OpenGL test:

Windows 11 - "WX7100-EnableGop.rom"
IMG_2778.jpeg

Windows 11 - WX7100-EnableGop_ALT_VRAM.rom
IMG_2803.jpeg

As you can see the result is extremly good 3106 in Valley OpenGL score takes me to the No1 on the benchmark list for Imac 2011 :)
This probably has a good explanation. Since CPU affects the result and im at 2700K with overclocked turboboost to 4.6 Ghz.

Last edited:

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
But! I think i have problems!

Problem 1:
Sonoma Valley Score sucks at a score of: 1525
IMG_2779.jpeg

Problem 2: Tempratures!
Skärmavbild 2024-05-24 kl. 20.05.04.png

Idle temps are much higher than my oher iMac with K4100M that sits around 40-45°c Heatsink temp on idle.
Skärmavbild 2024-05-24 kl. 20.14.54.png

Heatsink does not seem to "heat up" but GPU does rise in 10 seconds of Valley test to 89c°
Skärmavbild 2024-05-24 kl. 19.54.30.png

Ater 10 min of Valley there is still no big rise in Heatsink temp.
Skärmavbild 2024-05-24 kl. 20.00.16.png

Gpu running very hot and looking at CPU-Z it throttles badly after 10 sec.
Also you can see in Valley that its not choppy but it takes pauses in intervals of 3 sec (Trotthling).

So what is the problem. I guess i have no good contact between GPU die and heatsink?
Why? To my knowledge i do not need any heatsink mod or copper shim using 3-pipe heatsink with WX7100?
Or im a wrong?

Also note PSU temp is very high.. On my other iMac it sits at 50°c but this one after W7100 sits at 70°c at idle?
Skärmavbild 2024-05-24 kl. 21.10.28.png

Last edited:

flyingatm

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
After upgraded to K2100M on my iMac 2011 21.5" with i5 2400S, macfancontrol doesn't shows GPU's temperature. It only says '-' under High Sierra. (I'm just downloading sonoma for upgrading rn), I already changed my CPU's thermal paste too and upgraded to the SSD.

On idle while downloading OCLP sonoma and in a hot country (31 degrees in my city rn without air conditioner), CPU is around 60-65 degrees/CPU Heatsink is around 55 degrees and GPU heatsink is around 50-52 degrees.

All fans are set to the 'Auto' except HDD (which is replaced with SSD) to the minimum 1100 RPM.

While CPU is around 60-70 degrees and GPU heatsink is around 55-60, CPU Fan is @1200 RPM (which is minimum) and Dual-fan cooler is @1400 RPM (which is minimum).

I'm not sure why is the system still at minimum RPM speed while system is working at 70 degrees. It was the same before SSD and GPU upgrade.

Is there are problem?
Does it normal if it says '-' for GPU's temp.?
Does it normal fans are at minimum RPM when the CPU is around 70 degrees?

TY!

Edit: I did a prime95 stress test. When I set the fans to the max (except HDD fan) under full load and after 20 minutes its around 60-65 degress. BUT, if I don't set it to the maximum fan speed; it doesn't automaticly gets set and it's always at minimum. IDK why...

Last edited:

Craspo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2024
Hi I am new to the forum, please forgive me if this post does not belong here. I have a 2010 Imac 27" i7-870. I have upgraded the Hard drive to an SSD, and have 16 GB RAM. I was able to get a hold of a W4130 video card for cheap on ebay and wanted to do the upgrade. I am using Ubuntu on it but eventually I was thinking of maybe using windows on it too. I have read that for MacOS and Windows you need to flash the video card, is this also necessary for using Linux? I looked for this on the forum but I was not able to find the answer.
Thanks on advance for your time!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hi I am new to the forum, please forgive me if this post does not belong here. I have a 2010 Imac 27" i7-870. I have upgraded the Hard drive to an SSD, and have 16 GB RAM. I was able to get a hold of a W4130 video card for cheap on ebay and wanted to do the upgrade. I am using Ubuntu on it but eventually I was thinking of maybe using windows on it too. I have read that for MacOS and Windows you need to flash the video card, is this also necessary for using Linux? I looked for this on the forum but I was not able to find the answer.
Thanks on advance for your time!

The simple answer is yes. You need to flash the card for it to be better compatible with iMac BIOS (EFI), regardless the OS.
I think that the Firepro M5100 or M6100 is cheapest and most compatible with iMac 2010 from ebay. But your luck maybe better.

Zuuro

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
Hi all, I have another problem: I installed Parallels on many upgraded iMacs 12,2 without problems. But on my recent project (iMac 11,3 with M6100) I get an error:

Unable to load the Parallels driver

I searched the internet and tried all the suggested solutions without success. Could the graphic card be the problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Do you come any further with Parallels?

Craspo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2024
The simple answer is yes. You need to flash the card for it to be better compatible with iMac BIOS (EFI), regardless the OS.
I think that the Firepro M5100 or M6100 is cheapest and most compatible with iMac 2010 from ebay. But your luck maybe better.
Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I already purchased a W4130 2Gb so now I have to make it work je. I see in your signature that you also have an Imac 2010 with a similar video card, the W4150. Did you have any incompatibility issues? Any tips or recommendations you would suggest before starting the flash procedure (or in the ensamble procedure)? Or just follow the guides and it is pretty straight forward? I am asking because since you have a similar system, I am guessing it would be a similar procedure. Maybe your experience can save me a few headaches/mistakes along the way.

Cheers.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I already purchased a W4130 2Gb so now I have to make it work je. I see in your signature that you also have an Imac 2010 with a similar video card, the W4150. Did you have any incompatibility issues? Any tips or recommendations you would suggest before starting the flash procedure (or in the ensamble procedure)? Or just follow the guides and it is pretty straight forward? I am asking because since you have a similar system, I am guessing it would be a similar procedure. Maybe your experience can save me a few headaches/mistakes along the way.

Cheers.

1. To be correct, my card is WX4150 4GB (GCN 4.0 architect). As far as I remember, there was also a W5170 (GCN 1.0 architect), naming it without the X may cause misunderstanding. Please check again your card model: W4130 (not in the list in post #1) or WX4130 (in the compatible list in post #1).

2. I had no compatibility issue.

3. There are quite a few tips, all come from my previous mistakes
- Isolate the heatsink and the card (use Kapton tape to cover the heatsink where the components on the card may touch it (I use the stock MXM-A heatsink). I had to let my iMac stay dead for a couple of months because of the short circuit issue. It gone after I isolated with Kapton Tape. Make sure that only the GPU chip touch directly to the heatsink (with thermal paste, of course), and none of the other components.

- Be careful when you remove the frame that support the card and the heatsink. I yanked it out from the logicboard and knocked off a transistor on the logicboard. => No signal to the LCD panel. The prevention measure is to take out the whole logicboard + GPU from the case first, then disassemble the GPU, or carefully protect the vulnerable components on the logicboard when you remove only the GPU (I used a plastic card to insert between the frame and the logicboard)

- Prepare the GRML Linux USB in advance (like make a new folder, copy only the files you need to that folder, change their names to shorter ones) it will save some times and mis-typo errors when you type in the commands.

- Boot the iMac in working conditions (stock GPU) and check its IP on your router managing page. Normally the IP address won't change even when you reboot it with the GRML USB, but anyway, check all existing devices connected to the network so you can easily spot the GRML iMac when it comes online. Give it a 5 minute delay from pressing the power button until it pop-up on your router managing page.

- Don't assemble the LCD panel when you boot the iMac with GRML USB. Sometimes the iMac may not be able to boot from a USB device with the new GPU. => Make a GRML SSD and plug it to the SATA port of the iMac.

- Find the files needed to create the GRML USB from this thread, not from the GRML official page. You will know why when you take a look inside its contents.

Craspo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2024
1. To be correct, my card is WX4150 4GB (GCN 4.0 architect). As far as I remember, there was also a W5170 (GCN 1.0 architect), naming it without the X may cause misunderstanding. Please check again your card model: W4130 (not in the list in post #1) or WX4130 (in the compatible list in post #1).

2. I had no compatibility issue.

3. There are quite a few tips, all come from my previous mistakes
- Isolate the heatsink and the card (use Kapton tape to cover the heatsink where the components on the card may touch it (I use the stock MXM-A heatsink). I had to let my iMac stay dead for a couple of months because of the short circuit issue. It gone after I isolated with Kapton Tape. Make sure that only the GPU chip touch directly to the heatsink (with thermal paste, of course), and none of the other components.

- Be careful when you remove the frame that support the card and the heatsink. I yanked it out from the logicboard and knocked off a transistor on the logicboard. => No signal to the LCD panel. The prevention measure is to take out the whole logicboard + GPU from the case first, then disassemble the GPU, or carefully protect the vulnerable components on the logicboard when you remove only the GPU (I used a plastic card to insert between the frame and the logicboard)

- Prepare the GRML Linux USB in advance (like make a new folder, copy only the files you need to that folder, change their names to shorter ones) it will save some times and mis-typo errors when you type in the commands.

- Boot the iMac in working conditions (stock GPU) and check its IP on your router managing page. Normally the IP address won't change even when you reboot it with the GRML USB, but anyway, check all existing devices connected to the network so you can easily spot the GRML iMac when it comes online. Give it a 5 minute delay from pressing the power button until it pop-up on your router managing page.

- Don't assemble the LCD panel when you boot the iMac with GRML USB. Sometimes the iMac may not be able to boot from a USB device with the new GPU. => Make a GRML SSD and plug it to the SATA port of the iMac.

- Find the files needed to create the GRML USB from this thread, not from the GRML official page. You will know why when you take a look inside its contents.
🙏🙏🙏 Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I will follow all of your tips, gather all the materials and execute when I have a little more time.
Yes you are right, mine is the green Dell WX4130 2GB in the compatible list in post 1.
I will be back to post results, hopefully sucess.
Thanks again for your time and have a nice weekend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.