Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bcool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2019
England
hi I noticed my 2015 iMac has got pink edges all way round the screen. i didn't expect this after just over 3 years of use.

anyone else had an issue with pink screen ? any idea what may have caused it ? would it be a faulty panel over time ?

i did a search for pink screens but could find any threads.
thanks for any replies

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
Yep, it happened to my 2015 iMac as well. In addition, dust collected in the bottom corners. The panel was replaced under the Apple Care warranty. Inconvenient to travel 270km to the nearest Apple Authorised Centre, leave it there for about three weeks while they waited for parts, and then drive again to collect it.

• Wow
Reactions: sam_dean

2bcool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2019
England
Yep, it happened to my 2015 iMac as well. In addition, dust collected in the bottom corners. The panel was replaced under the Apple Care warranty. Inconvenient to travel 270km to the nearest Apple Authorised Centre, leave it there for about three weeks while they waited for parts, and then drive again to collect it.

i had 3 year warranty but its months over that now .. only just noticed it. i cant see it worth while paying to have it fixed, hopefully apple will repair it for free, after all you don't expect a screen to go bad after 3 years.
will let you know the outcome.
my service centre is quite near.

i took my macbook air in because an apple alert came on the screen, faulty ssd replace now!
they took it in then a n hour later said come pick it up. we fixed it by software.
i wasn't happy. i had a convo with apple manager about it being replaced and he said it really didn't need to. but if i got back to him in a month or two they would have one in stock.
needless to say a year and half after my ssd died.

2bcool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2019
England
hi not solved yet. i messaged apple and they said i had to contact another department. i spent an hour talking to apple via chat, they said i would have to contact tech. i am going write to the CEO at apple and get this escalated . if you buy an iMac and it turns pink after just 3 years, its not fit for purpose. they cannot charge me for the repair, its a faulty unit.
they will try to insist its no longer under warranty but i will light them as i suggest you do too.
this is CEO tim cook email :
tcook@apple.com

email quote:
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Online Store.

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and I am sorry for the frustration you are feeling as a result of your experiences. I can certainly understand your disappointment.

Please note the Online Store is primarily a sales and customer service based department with a scope of support for the sale and aftersales support of orders placed directly on the Apple Website and would therefore not be best equipped to assist you with your issue.

I would recommend contacting our AppleCare Team where a qualified advisor will be happy to discuss these issues with you. They will be able to provide you with further information and advise you of next steps including further escalation if necessary.

There are two options for contacting AppleCare:

1. By telephone on 0800 107 6285.

2. Visit the Apple Support website: https://support.apple.com/en-gb or use the AppleSupport App from your iOS device for Telephone, Chat and Service options available to you.

A genius Bar appointment can be scheduled here: https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

I hope that my email has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards,

Val

Apple Store

Reactions: atiprada

atiprada

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2019
hi not solved yet. i messaged apple and they said i had to contact another department. i spent an hour talking to apple via chat, they said i would have to contact tech. i am going write to the CEO at apple and get this escalated . if you buy an iMac and it turns pink after just 3 years, its not fit for purpose. they cannot charge me for the repair, its a faulty unit.
they will try to insist its no longer under warranty but i will light them as i suggest you do too.
this is CEO tim cook email :
tcook@apple.com

email quote:
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Online Store.

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and I am sorry for the frustration you are feeling as a result of your experiences. I can certainly understand your disappointment.

Please note the Online Store is primarily a sales and customer service based department with a scope of support for the sale and aftersales support of orders placed directly on the Apple Website and would therefore not be best equipped to assist you with your issue.

I would recommend contacting our AppleCare Team where a qualified advisor will be happy to discuss these issues with you. They will be able to provide you with further information and advise you of next steps including further escalation if necessary.

There are two options for contacting AppleCare:

1. By telephone on 0800 107 6285.

2. Visit the Apple Support website: https://support.apple.com/en-gb or use the AppleSupport App from your iOS device for Telephone, Chat and Service options available to you.

A genius Bar appointment can be scheduled here: https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

I hope that my email has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards,

Val

Apple Store

Let us turn to them together, since I have exactly such a problem, and I am also not ready to face the fact that I paid a lot of money and received such a pink screen after 3 years, this is their marriage and they should take responsibility for it.
I will be glad if you will keep me on the list of cases, my mail is andruwa1984@gmail.com or whatsapp +972506411186

atiprada gaura das

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I had a problem screen like this and while it was replaced under the AppleCare Warranty, I now have a new problem - constant white flickering which requires me to restart the iMac to get rid of it.

Last edited:

atiprada

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2019

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,440
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,510

AlvesOli

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
Hi,

I have an 2015 late 27" with the same issues, pink edges, dust in the corner and even a lot of ghosting. I bought it in January 2016 with the Apple Care. All those issues started after the end of it ...

I'm from Belgium Europe, and the support here will never do anything. Super disappointed with this machine ...

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I had a problem screen like this and while it was replaced under the AppleCare Warranty, I now have a new problem - constant white flickering which requires me to restart the iMac to get rid of it.
Update: I reported the new problem to the local Apple suppliers. They did not offer to do anything about it and then when my AppleCare finally expired, I came down on them like a flood. The result was that they took the iMac, now out of cover, and replaced the logic board, which they say was the reason for the flickering. From what I understand, they also replaced the display - the second one in four months.

My point is this: we should not allow ourselves to be bullied. Yes, a warranty has an expiry date, but this does not mean a supplier can simply turn his back on you, especially if you can prove that they (deliberately?) slowed down the process. Sometimes all that is required is for the the customer to take a stand and refuse to budge. It worked for me.

AlvesOli, try again to have the screen replaced. Speak to them. Be firm but do not lose your cool. Keep evidence of all communication between you and the supplier, service agent or whoever is on the receiving end.

Reactions: HoreaG

samjwitwicky

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Same thing here! Late 2015 iMac 5K. pink / purplish tinting around the edges

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM(3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM(3).jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 6,062
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM(2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM(2).jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 4,949
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM(1).jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 3,836
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-02 at 7.46.07 AM.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,895

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America

Funny, that's exactly one of the reasons why I returned the new iPad mini 5. I then check other iPad mini 5 displays in the Apple store and two Best Buy’s. All had the same issue. My much loved iPad mini 4 has a perfect black display. Not only that all the other iPad mini 5s had a lower white point, which translates into a flatter looker image with less saturated colors. Photos and videos did not have pop anymore. They also had a off-putting warm color balance. Whites didn’t look as neutral white as they on my iPad mini 4. Finally the viewing angles were significantly worse on the iPad mini 5. All the differences were obvious, especially to those used to working with photos and video.

So what is different with the new iPad mini 5 compared to the 4? Well, putting aside the new pencil support, the iPad mini 5 display is an expanded P3 color gamut display. Coincidentally, or not, the 2015 iMacs you guys have introduced a new P3 display.

I don’t know if that's the reason for many of the issues I ran into or just a lot of faulty displays. A real shame too because the performance of the iPad mini 5 was wonderful.

In the end I returned the iPad mini 5 and I chose to replace the battery on my iPad mini 4 myself, which dramatically restored performance and battery life. I hope when I’m ready to replace my iPad mini 4 the future iPad mini’s don’t have such problems or I may just end up keeping my iPad mini 4 indefinitely at least to watch videos on at home.

Last edited:

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America
Update: I reported the new problem to the local Apple suppliers. They did not offer to do anything about it and then when my AppleCare finally expired, I came down on them like a flood. The result was that they took the iMac, now out of cover, and replaced the logic board, which they say was the reason for the flickering. From what I understand, they also replaced the display - the second one in four months.

My point is this: we should not allow ourselves to be bullied. Yes, a warranty has an expiry date, but this does not mean a supplier can simply turn his back on you, especially if you can prove that they (deliberately?) slowed down the process. Sometimes all that is required is for the the customer to take a stand and refuse to budge. It worked for me.

AlvesOli, try again to have the screen replaced. Speak to them. Be firm but do not lose your cool. Keep evidence of all communication between you and the supplier, service agent or whoever is on the receiving end.

And mention small claims court. :)
[doublepost=1562246876][/doublepost]
Same thing here! Late 2015 iMac 5K. pink / purplish tinting around the edges

Wow, that's awful.
[doublepost=1562246944][/doublepost]
It's not dust. It's a condition called Backlight Bleed.

It can often be fixed. If not, there are other ways to manage it.

https://www.gamingscan.com/how-to-fix-backlight-bleed/

How does dust and backlight bleed look similar?

Msmandy62

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2019
hi I noticed my 2015 iMac has got pink edges all way round the screen. i didn't expect this after just over 3 years of use.

anyone else had an issue with pink screen ? any idea what may have caused it ? would it be a faulty panel over time ?

thanks for any replies

my imac 27' 2015 are facing the same issue!!

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Well just to add one more to the list: mine does seem to have backlight bleed on top and it also does flicker when I'm scrolling through my e-mails on Outlook (the flickering stops on reboot but can start again at random using Outlook).
2015 iMac 5k 27" Radeon R9 395 running Mojave 10.14.6.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I just noticed this today - most noticeable for me when you have white at the edges. Even more apparent as I just bought a 27" Ultrafine for use as a second display; thought the Ultrafine just had a cooler color balance, but I guess it's this pink at the edges thing. No flickering, at least.

So, what are people doing about it? I bought AppleCare for this system, but as seems to be usual for us, it expired a few months ago. Is Apple being kind and repairing it for free? I have a few insects that crawled under the screen and died - I'd be so thrilled to fix all of those problems in one go...

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Since mine is 2015 best thing to do is buy another as a new display costs just as much then sell this one as 'faulty' - I'd spend less money than replacing the display…

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Back in 2006 or so I bought an LG monitor (24 inch ips) which was very expensive at the time and one of the best etc.
One year in and it experienced flashes etc. I contacted LG support (Greece) and they were very quick to send someone and have the monitor replaced. Only that one day later the one they gave me experienced the purple hues all over the screen. The technician came and refused to do anything about it saying it was within proper limits or something, I don't remember exactly as it has been 13 years or so.
That was the last time I bought an LG monitor.

I wonder if Apple uses LG panels for their monitors.

lexsky77

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019

thanks for any replies
I also have a late 2015 IMac 21 inch screen with pink edges. I guess it's really the screen depending whose manufacturing it. Am still waiting on Apple to answer my concern. I took some pictures of my screen and send those to them.

spidercrown

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
I have 2 sets of 2015 5K iMac too. Both has pink/purple hue around the edges. I've reported this to apple, of course they do not have any replacement plan for this issue at the moment.
If you have the same issue, perhaps you can also report it. They may react if they receive enough similar complains.

Reactions: ibs37i

ibs37i

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
Dubai, UAE
I have 2 sets of 2015 5K iMac too. Both has pink/purple hue around the edges. I've reported this to apple, of course they do not have any replacement plan for this issue at the moment.
If you have the same issue, perhaps you can also report it. They may react if they receive enough similar complains.

I agree with you. If a number of users do report this issue to Apple, am sure some solution would be provided by them. I just got this problem with the display yesterday and its the same model as yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.