Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavelk_39472

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Austria
Hi, has anyone ever seen an iMac with Samsung 850 EVO SSD instead of the Fusion Drive HDD on SATA???
The Blade NVME is 28GB.
According the previous owner it was bought in this configuration in 2017.
I’ve bought it recently and because of the internal SSD SATA speed I’m going to install and run it from an external ACASIS Thunderbolt enclosure with 1TB WD SN770.
It runs approximately about 2.300 MBs write and read.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Hi, has anyone ever seen an iMac with Samsung 850 EVO SSD instead of the Fusion Drive HDD on SATA???
The Blade NVME is 28GB.
According the previous owner it was bought in this configuration in 2017.
I’ve bought it recently and because of the internal SSD SATA speed I’m going to install and run it from an external ACASIS Thunderbolt enclosure with 1TB WD SN770.
It runs approximately about 2.300 MBs write and read.
That doesn't make any sense that it was purchased new in that configuration. Are you saying that it's a fusion drive with 2 SSD's? If so, it's a waste, as the whole point of the fusion drive was to make the computer be a little faster with a hard drive. Having 2 SSD's in a fusion drive does absolutely nothing beneficial.
If they show up as separate drives in Disk Utility, then probably what happened was the previous owner split the fusion drive and replaced the HD with the Samsung. The blade drive is pretty much useless at this point in terms of performance.
That said, I replaced the blade SSD on my 2017 with a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO, using an adapter and also have a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO in place of the HD. This gives me 2TB of storage on 2 separate drives (not fusion).

keithwoolford

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Lickey, Bromsgrove UK
I've the same model iMac as you – started going r e a l l y S l o o o o w after an OS update last year. Decided to get rid of the Fusion drive and install a 4TB SSD plus added more RAM (2x4GB, 2x16GB total) (FCP) and not looked back. Good/better than new and now don't need to wait a week for a file to open! The small SSD, part of the Fusion drive, remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.