Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike V8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
So my MacBook has started acting recently. It's the latest 2017 i5 model with 8/512GB. When idle the cursor and animation would stutter every 3-5 seconds. The mouse cursor freezes for a sec and then back to normal for few secs over and over again. I'm not using any ext mouse or keyboard, and even tryed to turn off wifi and bt but that doesn't help. I even reinstalled Monterey completely and replaced it with the fresh copy Mojave and that weird stuttering is still there. Honestly I'm confused as I've had hundreds of Macs starting with G4s and never experienced anything like that.

I checked Activity Monitor and gave the MacBook some time to index everything, but is still happens with 0% CPU usage. Now what's interesting, the background music still plays perfectly fine when the animation and cursor freezes. This also happens with the wired USB mouse connected.

It runs perfectly fine in safe mode and during the installation process. Of course I tried resetting SMC and PRAM, althouth that rarely fixes anything. Also there is no such issue in bootcamp Windows 10. What's most weird I noticed once I connected the external monitor the cursor runs fine on the ext monitor but at the same time stutters on the MacBook built-in display even though the 4K screen must be harder to drive that the build-in 2K.

If I watch youtube the video plays just fine without any dropped frames and it seems this issue happens more often when there's nothing going on in the background. Like some kind of powersaving feature kicks in every few sec and causing it to freeze.

What do you guys say, has anyone experienced something like that?

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
A freezing Mac appears rarely, but it indeed exists. the most common scenario: your Mac froze during apps or programs working. Or even worse, it stuck exactly when you open the desktop.

Below are few DIY methods that you can try to fix the freezing issue in your mac:

1. Disconnect any connected external drive
2. Force quit applications
3. Reduce clutter files
4. Restart your mac
5. Boot into safe mode
6. Update your MacOS software

Hope it helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.