Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I have had zero issues since the 10.13.6 update (on my iMac Pro, or my new 2018 13" MBP).

The iMP used to KP quite regularly after the 10.13.4 update... and it cleaned up with this last update. I am not sure if this is old news or not.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have had zero issues since the 10.13.6 update (on my iMac Pro, or my new 2018 13" MBP).

The iMP used to KP quite regularly after the 10.13.4 update... and it cleaned up with this last update. I am not sure if this is old news or not.

Mine just crashed again early this morning during sleep with the Brigde OS error. This is now my third time in 5 days. I do have the supplemental update installed.

Reactions: eagerwu

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
Just happened to my MBP 15 2018 (2.6GHz, 560X, 512GB), if the attached screenshot is anything to go by. This is with the latest update installed. I'll see if it happens again and maybe then I'll contact Apple.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 13.54.47.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 13.54.47.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 1,031

drecc

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
I'm not sure if it's related, but is anyone having problems with their docked 2018 MBP coming out of sleep and activating the external monitor connected to it? (In my case, an LG 31MU97 connected via a USB-C->Displayport cable).

I now have to open the lid of the MBP and disconnect and reconnect the monitor to get the monitor to activate.

This didn't happen with the same monitor with the late 2013 rMBP that I had prior to upgrading to the 2018 MBP (thunderbolt2->displayport cable).

I've had one crash issue so far too, where when I tried to bring the 2018 MBP out of suspend first thing in the morning, it was actually off and needed to be powered up, implying that some kind of crash must have happened overnight that caused it to power off.

Reactions: ascender

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I spoke way too soon. Just had some sort of a kernel panic and my machine restarted. Not good Apple.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure if it's related, but is anyone having problems with their docked 2018 MBP coming out of sleep and activating the external monitor connected to it? (In my case, an LG 31MU97 connected via a USB-C->Displayport cable).

I now have to open the lid of the MBP and disconnect and reconnect the monitor to get the monitor to activate.

This didn't happen with the same monitor with the late 2013 rMBP that I had prior to upgrading to the 2018 MBP (thunderbolt2->displayport cable).

I've had one crash issue so far too, where when I tried to bring the 2018 MBP out of suspend first thing in the morning, it was actually off and needed to be powered up, implying that some kind of crash must have happened overnight that caused it to power off.

YES! I posted this in another thread, but nobody responded:

I have a 34" LG display hooked up to my MBP via the TB3-->TB2 adapter. When I put the computer to sleep, the monitor goes to a gray screen and says "no signal, entering power save mode shortly" and then the display goes black.

However, the screen goes back to that gray screen several times an hour with the same message about entering power save mode shortly. It's like something is waking it up for a split second. I have all display options (Power Nap, Wake for Wi-Fi network access) turned off in system preferences, so I don't know what else to try short of physically powering off the monitor when I'm done using it.
[doublepost=1532628986][/doublepost]I just got a call out of the blue from someone at AppleCare about "my post on the Apple Discussions Board" to talk about my Bridge OS crashes. I'll call him back and see what he has to say.

They are obviously interested in gathering information. This is clearly not an isolate issue affecting just a few people. It's now front page on maceumours.com, 9to5mac.com and several other sites (listed in macpcf's post above).

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I spoke way too soon. Just had some sort of a kernel panic and my machine restarted. Not good Apple.

This seems to be an issue w/ t2 chip machines. I'm sure there are people who don't report this issue even though they have kp due to 'bridgeos error'.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This seems to be an issue w/ t2 chip machines. I'm sure there are people who don't report this issue even though they have kp due to 'bridgeos error'.
I’m currently wiping my hard drive and doing a Time Machine restore. At least this will clear the crypto var errors and When support tells me to reformat I can say I already did. If the problems continue after this, I’ll return it and get my $4800 back.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I’m currently wiping my hard drive and doing a Time Machine restore. At least this will clear the crypto var errors and When support tells me to reformat I can say I already did. If the problems continue after this, I’ll return it and get my $4800 back.

Ya return it if the issue persists. For $5k you deserve a flawless machine and nothing less.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Two users earlier in the thread reported the problem went away when they replaced the machine, so it could be a hardware problem, at least for some.

If it is a software problem in your case, a clean OS installation would be a better course of action than a time machine restore, unless you just refer to restoring your data files with the TM backup.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Two users earlier in the thread reported the problem went away when they replaced the machine, so it could be a hardware problem, at least for some.

If it is a software problem in your case, a clean OS installation would be a better course of action than a time machine restore, unless you just refer to restoring your data files with the TM backup.
Mine crashed twice in two days over the weekend. The next crash was 4 days later. I don’t think those who got a replacement can realistically say the issue is fixed yet without waiting a bit longer. I hope it is though.

Thanks for mentioning the OS reinstall, I’m going to do that now too, just to cover everything.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
BF55C7BD-04A8-4A4D-B2D0-8BD7D92B77AD.jpeg

[doublepost=1532644521][/doublepost]Does anyone really think this could be hardware related? I can’t imagine the scale of a recall this would create.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
All the T2 machines have those crypto val errors fresh out of the box, even Apple’s own display models. I don’t know if it’s related to the crashes though.
I am just worried this is hardware and not software. That would suck!!!

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just talked with an AppleCare rep (he called me after seeing posts on the Apple forum) and provided him with all the crash reports info and the crypto_var errors.

I just finished booting from recovery, wiping my hard drive, restoring from a Time Machine backup (of this machine from earlier today), and reinstalling Mac OS 10.13.6 and the 10.13.6 Supplemental Update. The crypto_val errors are gone after wiping the hard drive. Time will tell if the machine crashes with the Bridge OS error again.

Reactions: Daveiggy

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I just talked with an AppleCare rep (he called me after seeing posts on the Apple forum) and provided him with all the crash reports info and the crypto_var errors.

I just finished booting from recovery, wiping my hard drive, restoring from a Time Machine backup (of this machine from earlier today), and reinstalling Mac OS 10.13.6 and the 10.13.6 Supplemental Update. The crypto_val errors are gone after wiping the hard drive. Time will tell if the machine crashes with the Bridge OS error again.
Ah man, I don't want to go through all of that... :( But please keep us updated.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't either. Nothing like wiping a brand new computer that's supposed to be fresh from the factory, eh?

However, now I know if something happens that there's nothing else I could have tried.

Reactions: eagerwu and dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I didn't either. Nothing like wiping a brand new computer that's supposed to be fresh from the factory, eh?

However, now I know if something happens that there's nothing else I could have tried.
Weird that it fixed the crypto errors. Do they think it is related to the kernel panics?

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Nothing like wiping a brand new computer that's supposed to be fresh from the factory, eh?
If you buy a PC laptop nuking it from orbit is the only way to be sure... Otherwise you can never know what nasty critters are hiding in it. Also, I tend to nuke my computers whenever I install new major OS versions, to cut down on any crud that might otherwise accumulate. When Mojave comes out, I'll most likely nuke the factory install off my new MBP.

Reactions: internetrando
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.