Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I’m anticipating a new iMac in 2023 or 2024, but I hope Apple has taken the time to reassess this product. I’m more interested in what a “Pro” iMac could look like — here are a few thoughts:

-Get rid of the chin. Don’t release it until you figure it out.

-Uniform black bezel with soft radius corners. Don’t square it off.

-Design a more unique stand. The squared off design is functional, but I prefer the one that started in 2009.

What would you like to see in an iMac Pro?

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
...an aux DisplayPort input so you could use it as a display for other computers. Otherwise, no sale on an expensive display panel that you can't carry over to your next computer.

When the iMac went 5k in 2014 there was an excuse for dropping Target Display Mode because there was no current interface standard that could support 5k over a single cable (DP 1.3 was approved the same year, but wasn't in the shops) & the iMac used a custom internal interface. Today, DP 1.4, which goes up to 8K, is current (and implemented in Macs) and by the time a hypothetical iMac Pro comes out, DP 2.0 (8k+ with all the trimmings) should be around, so, no excuse apart from penny pinching & planned obsolescence.

Anyway, I don't think the iMac Pro is going to happen - a Mac Studio Max + Studio Display costs the same as a 2020 i9 iMac with the 32GB upgrade and a 20 core Studio Ultra + display is a lot cheaper than an 18 core iMac Pro used to be - and a lot of "pro" customers will prefer being able to choose the display independently of the computer (there's already a choice of Studio Display, Pro XDR or a zillion 3rd party possibilities),

The gap in the Mac range is for something to replace the old starting-at-$1800 5k iMac options - which put the notional cost of the 5k display at < $1000. That was always a bargain (if you wanted a 27" 5k) and I don't think that is sustainable (at a profit margin sufficient to get Apple out of bed) now that 5k displays are established as a Mac-only niche.

Maybe we'll see a new iMac when Apple have something new to offer display-wise at that size (miniLED etc) - rather than a warmed-over version of 5-year-old tech - but that's probably going to be too pricey for a low-end iMac and I really think that the high-end market, once they stop and think, will prefer the Studio concept. Also, with Apple Silicon, there's now minimal difference in performance between desktops and laptops until you get to Studio Ultra level, so a lot of people who previously had an iMac on the desk and a MBP for the road can now just have a MBP and a large display on the desk.

It makes more sense for Apple to produce products like the Studio Display and Pro XDR which they can sell alongside any Mac model (from the MBA to the mythical Apple Silicon Mac Pro) than a high-end all-in-one for a particular niche. (Speaking as someone who only bought an iMac in 2017 because there was no viable headless Mac option at the time).

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
...an aux DisplayPort input so you could use it as a display for other computers. Otherwise, no sale on an expensive display panel that you can't carry over to your next computer.

When the iMac went 5k in 2014 there was an excuse for dropping Target Display Mode because there was no current interface standard that could support 5k over a single cable (DP 1.3 was approved the same year, but wasn't in the shops) & the iMac used a custom internal interface. Today, DP 1.4, which goes up to 8K, is current (and implemented in Macs) and by the time a hypothetical iMac Pro comes out, DP 2.0 (8k+ with all the trimmings) should be around, so, no excuse apart from penny pinching & planned obsolescence.

Anyway, I don't think the iMac Pro is going to happen - a Mac Studio Max + Studio Display costs the same as a 2020 i9 iMac with the 32GB upgrade and a 20 core Studio Ultra + display is a lot cheaper than an 18 core iMac Pro used to be - and a lot of "pro" customers will prefer being able to choose the display independently of the computer (there's already a choice of Studio Display, Pro XDR or a zillion 3rd party possibilities),

The gap in the Mac range is for something to replace the old starting-at-$1800 5k iMac options - which put the notional cost of the 5k display at < $1000. That was always a bargain (if you wanted a 27" 5k) and I don't think that is sustainable (at a profit margin sufficient to get Apple out of bed) now that 5k displays are established as a Mac-only niche.

Maybe we'll see a new iMac when Apple have something new to offer display-wise at that size (miniLED etc) - rather than a warmed-over version of 5-year-old tech - but that's probably going to be too pricey for a low-end iMac and I really think that the high-end market, once they stop and think, will prefer the Studio concept. Also, with Apple Silicon, there's now minimal difference in performance between desktops and laptops until you get to Studio Ultra level, so a lot of people who previously had an iMac on the desk and a MBP for the road can now just have a MBP and a large display on the desk.

It makes more sense for Apple to produce products like the Studio Display and Pro XDR which they can sell alongside any Mac model (from the MBA to the mythical Apple Silicon Mac Pro) than a high-end all-in-one for a particular niche. (Speaking as someone who only bought an iMac in 2017 because there was no viable headless Mac option at the time).
A very well thought out post - agree with all of this.

As much as I love all in ones, and would love to see a 30+ inch iMac Pro with mini LED/high end apple silicon - it feels like they’re more likely to bring out a new high end external display to replace the Pro Display XDR, and let people choose between the Mac mini/Mac Studio/mac pro for the guts.

I waited until March 22 when the Studio was announced, and then decided we’re atleast a year away (if ever) from getting a high end iMac. As a result, I caved and bought a base 16 inch MBP in April, which has been absolutely stunning. I‘m into photo/video editing and the combination of mini-LED and dedicated encoding/decoding hardware has been great.

If they do release a high end external display in the spring as rumoured then I’ll be very tempted to get that and pair it with the MBP to effectively replace my old iMac setup. The portability is something I didn’t appreciate until I got it!

I do think the equation has fundemantally shifted with apple silicon being so efficient - i.e. back in the 2010s if you wanted to do hardcore photo/video editing work, the iMac offered a lot more performance and capability than the MacBook Pros due to the extra room for internals etc. With the M1 Max in the MBPs (even the 14 inch!) it feels like only the very high end, pro customers really need something like the Ultra, whereas previously the iMac’s chipset felt more like a bridge between consumer and pro. That space doesn’t really exist with the crazy performance of M1 Pro/Max, atleast in my opinion!

Hope I’m proved wrong as I would love to see an iMac Pro - even if it hurts my wallet!

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Expecting the same design as the 24" except in a 32" chassis with black bezels and probably something more premium looking than the glass for the chin.
The one-piece glass front is amazing if you have kids and need to wipe the screen after use even though you tell them it's not a touch screen every single time. I'm not sure if this was the reason for this design choice, but it's a completely un-talked about killer feature for a "family" desktop computer. And, it looks awfully premium in my opinion.

On a pro model the bezel/chin would look sweet in black/space grey.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA

You make very good points. There doesn’t seem to be a logical place for an iMac Pro given the other options available. Do you think the iMac will continue to only be available in the 24” size? I think there is still a sizable market for the all-in-one, and a 27”+ screen size would probably be preferable, especially for businesses and schools.

Maybe we won’t see an additional size until after we get an updated iMac, and possibly a redesign. I was hoping they could find a way to engineer it to eliminate the chin, and I thought a “Pro” model could distinguish this from the base iMac design. But as you pointed out, there would be assumptions about such a product that might put it in an awkward place in the lineup.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
A very well thought out post - agree with all of this.

As much as I love all in ones, and would love to see a 30+ inch iMac Pro with mini LED/high end apple silicon - it feels like they’re more likely to bring out a new high end external display to replace the Pro Display XDR, and let people choose between the Mac mini/Mac Studio/mac pro for the guts.

I waited until March 22 when the Studio was announced, and then decided we’re atleast a year away (if ever) from getting a high end iMac. As a result, I caved and bought a base 16 inch MBP in April, which has been absolutely stunning. I‘m into photo/video editing and the combination of mini-LED and dedicated encoding/decoding hardware has been great.

If they do release a high end external display in the spring as rumoured then I’ll be very tempted to get that and pair it with the MBP to effectively replace my old iMac setup. The portability is something I didn’t appreciate until I got it!

I do think the equation has fundemantally shifted with apple silicon being so efficient - i.e. back in the 2010s if you wanted to do hardcore photo/video editing work, the iMac offered a lot more performance and capability than the MacBook Pros due to the extra room for internals etc. With the M1 Max in the MBPs (even the 14 inch!) it feels like only the very high end, pro customers really need something like the Ultra, whereas previously the iMac’s chipset felt more like a bridge between consumer and pro. That space doesn’t really exist with the crazy performance of M1 Pro/Max, atleast in my opinion!

Hope I’m proved wrong as I would love to see an iMac Pro - even if it hurts my wallet!
I have the M1 Pro 16 MBP as well, and it is indeed a great machine. If they do release a 27”+ MiniLED display, I can imagine the price being around $2500+, so this would probably kill the idea of an iMac Pro, especially when you’ve got the Studio and future Pro that will be available.

So I’m guessing that if we see a larger screen iMac, it won’t be MiniLED, and it will sit in between the cost of the two (non-XDR) external display options. I just hope they rethink the design a bit before releasing.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
As an 27” intel iMac owner I am really hoping for this as a replacement someday. The iMac Pro was always an attractive package to me and a space grey or black iMac Pro with the new design language (hopefully chinless though as others have said) would be gorgeous.

Unfortunately I also agree there isn’t a compelling reason for Apple to do this so I’ll probably end up with a Mac Studio/Studio Display.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Otoh, in order to sway me toward the 24” iMac, Apple needs to upgrade the range of options (which I’m guessing they will do to some degree soon). If the 24” currently had options for an M1 Pro chip and 32GB of RAM I’d consider it as a more affordable option—losing the 3” of screen real estate would be a fair trade off to save a couple thousand bucks.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Otoh, in order to sway me toward the 24” iMac, Apple needs to upgrade the range of options (which I’m guessing they will do to some degree soon). If the 24” currently had options for an M1 Pro chip and 32GB of RAM I’d consider it as a more affordable option—losing the 3” of screen real estate would be a fair trade off to save a couple thousand bucks.
You would still have a 4K display, plus presumably no ProMotion or MiniLED. I think the current iMac will stick with non-Pro/Max M variants, like the MBA.

I think it makes sense to release a larger Studio Display, but there would probably still be a major gap between these and the XDR. If they aren’t going to release a larger screen iMac, I would think they would want to expand their display lineup. Maybe even build TV into the display?

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
You would still have a 4K display, plus presumably no ProMotion or MiniLED. I think the current iMac will stick with non-Pro/Max M variants, like the MBA.

I think it makes sense to release a larger Studio Display, but there would probably still be a major gap between these and the XDR. If they aren’t going to release a larger screen iMac, I would think they would want to expand their display lineup. Maybe even build TV into the display?
All true. 5K in Pro Motion/MiniLED would be insane.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
I’m anticipating a new iMac in 2023 or 2024, but I hope Apple has taken the time to reassess this product. I’m more interested in what a “Pro” iMac could look like — here are a few thoughts:

-Design a more unique stand. The squared off design is functional, but I prefer the one that started in 2009.

All of your thoughts have to do with the costmetics. Nothing about performance or upgrade possibilities. I just don't get someone who's thinking about a computer for $4000+ and their only concerns are about what it looks like. SMH.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I hate to burst your bubble but it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Apple released the Studio to fill that gap that was caused when they discontinued the iMac Pro and the 27 inch iMac. The iMac has gone back to what it was made for originally, a consumer level device. To Apple, the Studio and Studio displays are a bargain and I don't think they will release a computer that competes with that.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
USA
All of your thoughts have to do with the costmetics. Nothing about performance or upgrade possibilities. I just don't get someone who's thinking about a computer for $4000+ and their only concerns are about what it looks like. SMH.
Given that the title of my post uses the word “design”, I think it’s obvious that I was speculating on the design. Performance and design both matter.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The 24" iMac is aimed at the consumer market. Don't expect a significant upgrade of functionality or design. For the hobbyist to professional market, Apple has the Mini and Studio along with whatever screen you need (why be limited to a particular 27" or other size?). I don't see the need for any change in that strategy, except probably for a more high end professional Mac Pro (not iMac) aimed at those who have so much work they don't have time to read these forums.

If you want a 27" iMac, just get a 27" 5K screen with a Mini attached to the back of the stand. Problem solved (but wait for M2 variant).

Agincourt

Suspended
Oct 21, 2009
One of the major reasons we shouldn't expect another iMac Pro is simply because the first one didn't sell too well, hence why they discontinued it very shortly afterwards. I for one think that Apple desktops are headed in the wrong direction by removing user-upgradable components and making the computers as small as possible. For mobile devices shaving weight and volume makes sense, but desktops don't have this problem. Sure you want neatness and having a sleeker machine is part of the experience, but that shouldn't be at the expense of function.

I loved the iMac Pro design because they made use of all its internal space and allowed for a truly 'pro' product that was order of magnitude cheaper and better than their 'trashcan' Mac Pro and 'cheese grater' tower we got a few years back. Adding depth to an all-in-one computer not only permits you to fill that space with 'cheaper' hardware but it also adds to the machine's robustness. Present day iMacs look fragile and a drop which would simply damage a 2019's glass looks like it would destroy a 2021's entire assembly. Now what we have is a display with all the computer concentrated in the 'chin' area.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
It will be interesting to see what happens soon with more machines getting the M2 chips. Will we get an M2 iMac this spring with similar specs to the M2 Airs, or will Apple just skip to M3 this fall/early 2024? I'm at least hoping for more RAM options.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022

The chin removal is unlikely to occur as it contains the M2 chip and downward firing speakers. The M2 chip & speakers are arranged below the LCD.

csm_EzcaWw3VIAAEJhW_687fcba134.jpg

There was a artistic redesign of the iMac M1 without the chin and relocated those above mentioned parts behind the LCD panel to make a "butt". This design was used on LG OLED TV displays... bottom half has the butt and the top part is iPhone-thin

51725-102470-iMac-not-xl.jpg

Given a choice of a butt or chin... I rather go with a chin as it 1st appeared on the 2004 iMac G5.

Black Bezel is likely but the design language, lines and curves of the iMac M1 will stay. This will be the iMac's look for nearly a decade.

Personally I expect the iMac 27-inch replacement to come out by WWDC 2023 in June. Screen size could possible be a 32-inch 6K display.

It will keep to the design language of the iMac M1 but keeping to a more conservative space grey and or silver color scheme.

What I want to see is any of these chips

- M2
- M2 Pro
- M2 Max
- M2 Ultra

I also want a return of Target Display Mode so that if I want to "upgrade" to a year model 2027, 2028, 2029 or even 2033 Mac mini from a 4nm Apple chip to a sub-1nm Apple chip then I can easily do so.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
But the likelihood of a 32" has gone up. Dell is launching a monitor with the exact panel specs you'd want for a 32" retina iMac pro...
More and more I'm of the mind that days of a larger iMac are over. Seems like they are good with an entry level machine for kids, households. And then if you want more you get ASD plus Studio or Mini depending on your needs.

Reactions: gilby101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.