Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
A new season is fast approaching and there's interesting news.

Colorado Buffaloes with new head coach Deon Sanders, is experiencing a tidal wave of players leaving the program. The count is over 41
Colorado Football Facing Mass Exodus to Transfer Portal
Three More Colorado Football Players Enter Transfer Portal

Consider the scale, the NCAA requires a minimum of 85 and a maximum of 105 players to be on the roster. So at worst, Colorado lost 1/2 of the of their 2022/2023 team. While they only won a single game last season, its hard to have a successful season when there's a mass exodus occurring.

Some people at the end of last season were proclaiming the end of Alabama's dynasty.
The Alabama Dynasty May Finally Be Coming To An End

We'll see how the season shakes out, but at this way too early stage, I also think the dynasty is done for Alabama.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
When it comes to Alabama, I don't think they are done just yet. You can't win them all every year... I feel they have a few more years. But once Saban leaves...

I think everyone forgets, that after the 1992 season and winning the national championship... Bama was pretty much a mediocre team at best for all of those years. Some high's but more lows.

It seems to be cool to hate on them because they have won so much.

Roll Tide... Let's see what they do this season.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
When it comes to Alabama, I don't think they are done just yet. Lets also be frank about Saban's age, no matter how you slice it, as you get into your 60s and 70s you slow down. He's in the twilight of his career at this point
They'll not be first to worst - in a sense, but I do believe their time in the sun is over

Is the Wild West that is the NCAA transfer portal good or bad for college football?

In Utah, reports indicate the Utah State Aggies have had some 23 players enter the portal since the end of the 2022 season, BYU has had 23 and Utah 22.

The defections have taken place during two transfer windows. The first was a 45-day period after bowl games, the second, a two-week window from April 15-30.

At the University of Colorado, new coach Deion Sanders is establishing the benchmark for turning over a roster, and most of the departures are not by the choice of the athletes. By last count some 46 Buffaloes had entered the portal, 41 since Sanders became coach.

I'm of the opinion that as it stands the transfer portal only hurts college football. Now at basically a whim, a player can get butt hurt at how a coach is treating them, or the fact they may believe they should be a stater and are not and will abandon the program. I think players leaving too early, may not give themselves the opportunity to learn the system and grow as a player.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Colorado Buffaloes with new head coach Deon Sanders, is experiencing a tidal wave of players leaving the program. The count is over 41

Consider the scale, the NCAA requires a minimum of 85 and a maximum of 105 players to be on the roster. So at worst, Colorado lost 1/2 of the of their 2022/2023 team. While they only won a single game last season, its hard to have a successful season when there's a mass exodus occurring.
You must have missed the story about Sanders' first meeting with the team, as you note, a team that had won just one game last season. He informed them that big changes were coming, as he intended to build a winning program. He invited players to enter the transfer portal, and many did. Presumably, players who felt they might not get much playing time under Sanders jumped ship. This gives the coach lots of roster room for luring better players to come into his program, joining several that came with him from JSU.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Some people at the end of last season were proclaiming the end of Alabama's dynasty.
The Alabama Dynasty May Finally Be Coming To An End

We'll see how the season shakes out, but at this way too early stage, I also think the dynasty is done for Alabama.

Deon annnoys me. He took the NFL to task for only drafting one HBCU player in the draft this past weekend. Yet Deon himself hightailed it out of Jackson State the second he got a "big time" college offer. If good coaches don't stay in HBCUs to develop talent and programs, how are they going to get players to the NFL?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Deon annnoys me. He took the NFL to task for only drafting one HBCU playe
Yeah, that comment seemed odd, and I'm not really sure about him. I still think having such a mass exodus of your team, is not a good look.

Reactions: Rafterman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Something to hold us over until college football starts. Its actually quite fun to watch

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Ha... some of those plays kill me... laughing and tears!

I was watching the CFL (yes, the CFL, don't judge me) and the score was tied 11-11 or something like that, with the one team just tying and on the kickoff, the ball went into the endzone. The receiving player, probably thinking its just a touchback, casually runs it down and downs it. Except in the CFL, that's one point for the kicking team. That team ended up losing 12-11.

To be fair though, I was watching and when it happened, I was like "wait, one point? Is that a thing?" :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Attorney says Northwestern hazing existed within athletic program

This started in the football program, and cost the coach his job
Northwestern fires football coach Pat Fitzgerald amid hazing claims

When this first starting making headlines, the university suspended Fitzgerald for two weeks, coincidently it was during his 2 week vacation. The original reason seemed to be from his defense of ignorance, i.e., he didn't know it was happening.

Now it seems much wider in scope and it will almost certainly cost others their jobs. As a coach, Fitzgerald did a good job, so it remains to be seen how the football program recovers. I'm sure there will be people going into the transfer portal because they're upset that Fitzgerald was fired, others will want to stay away and maybe change their commitment because of the uncertainty and bad news coming out

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Colorado board unanimously approves move from Pac-12 to Big 12
The talking heads over ESPN are calling this seismic and it really hurts the Pac-12. I generally don't watch (nor am I interested) in pac-12 teams but espn falls over Deon and so they're really taking this up.

I really don't know if he's a good coach or not, though he was successful Jackson State, I don't think he'll enjoy the same level of success. Of course last season winning only one game, he can only move up from there

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
More bad news for the Pac-12
Oregon, Washington finalizing move to Big Ten, sources say
Sources: Arizona deal with Big 12 expected to be finalized soon

I don't see the Pac-12 surviving at this point, they're trying to get a TV deal done, and what service is willing to pay money to a conference that is losing USC, USLC, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington

Losing USC and UCLA (Fixed that for yeah, lol) was big, really big... now the rest are following. YIKES.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It doesn't hurt them, it destroys them. There are only 4 teams left.
I can see Cal and Stamford having emergency meetings and seeing the likelihood of joining the Big 10. That seems to make the most sense

Mountain West and Pac12 will need to merge
I enjoy watching Mountain West games, to be sure, but that would be a disastrous move by the Pac12. Its clearly a lower tier conference, with a much lower TV deal. The schools will get significantly less money playing in a less prestigious conference.

From wikipedia:
1691231276923.png

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I enjoy watching Mountain West games, to be sure, but that would be a disastrous move by the Pac12. Its clearly a lower tier conference, with a much lower TV deal. The schools will get significantly less money playing in a less prestigious conference.

True, but they need teams. Lower tier teams are better than folding. The writing is on the wall for the Pac-12.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I can see Cal and Stamford having emergency meetings and seeing the likelihood of joining the Big 10. That seems to make the most sense

I'm assuming that you meant Stanford (Palo Alto, CA), and not Stamford (UCONN).

I have no clue where Cal and Stanford end up... but with the Big 10 taking USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon, I'd guess "why not?" ... keep some of the old rivalries in place... college athletics is all screwed up at this point... conferences realigning, NIL, transfer portal, etc... it's literally the wild, Wild West out there... and the NCAA has lost it's grip at every turn... Personally, I look for the major conferences (schools in what was once referred to as The Big 5) to form their own governing and oversight entity and abandon the NCAA completely... and while that may not be the best thing (or the worst thing), the NCAA has done this to itself.

And as far as the Pac-12 goes, RIP.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.