Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
G'day

I recently enabled two-factor authentication on my Apple ID in order to subscribe to Fitness+. Not had any issues with it thus far, but I'm planning on upgrading my iPhone soon and I'm wondering how this works with 2FA.

Anything I should be doing to prevent any issues?

Thanks

Reactions: Mark Stone

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When a service asks to set up two factor authentication, they ask for a phone number. So the phone number you gave them is the 2nd authentication factor, not the device it’s active on.

Any active phone that uses the phone number that was used for 2FA can be the 2nd device.

For example:
If a phone number was used for 2FA, any iPhone that has that SIM with that ph number installed can be used as the 2nd authorization device.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
G'day

I recently enabled two-factor authentication on my Apple ID in order to subscribe to Fitness+. Not had any issues with it thus far, but I'm planning on upgrading my iPhone soon and I'm wondering how this works with 2FA.

Thanks
Just for safety, you can add additional phone numbers that can be used for authentication. I have my cell number (of course), my wife's cell number, my Google Voice number, and my landline number as trusted phone numbers.

Reactions: arkitect and max2

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
G'day

Thanks
No, you’re fine. As @now i see it already stated, the Two Factor Authentication is (at least initially) associated with the phone number, not necessarily the device. When I switched from my iPhone 8 Plus to my 13 (March 2022), and then added the iPad Air (April) the “2FA” moved to the new devices automatically. 😊

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Also: don't wipe the old phone until the new phone is fully up and running. What will most likely happen is that a 2FA approval request will be sent to the old phone when you enter your Apple ID. OK that and you should be good to go.

ADD: appleid.apple.com to add secure numbers. Or on existing phone, Settings > Your Name At The Top > Password & Security > Edit next to "Trusted Numbers"

Reactions: max2

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
When a service asks to set up two factor authentication, they ask for a phone number. So the phone number you gave them is the 2nd authentication factor, not the device it’s active on.

Any active phone that uses the phone number that was used for 2FA can be the 2nd device.

For example:
If a phone number was used for 2FA, any iPhone that has that SIM with that ph number installed can be used as the 2nd authorization device.
He's asking about 2FA on his Apple ID, not other apps or services that are signed in on his phone.

The transition should be fine, but especially if he has other devices other than his phone on the same Apple ID.

My advice would be to make sure he has his recovery codes for Apple ID. Either print them out or have them available on a device that does not depend on Apple ID to sign in.

Reactions: arkitect

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It's easiest if you setup your new iPhone before retiring/erasing the old iPhone.

The old iPhone will still be "trusted" as long as you haven't signed out of iCloud. As long as it's connected to wifi it will receive the verification code, even if you have already moved the SIM to the new phone. So I strongly recommend not erasing/signing out of the old phone until the new is setup.

If you don't have the old phone (and no other trusted devices like a Mac or iPad signed into the same Apple ID), you'll still be fine as long as you have the same trusted phone number and have a valid SIM card for that number in the new phone. Here's how it works:

After you put in your password and you're asked for the verification code, there will be an option for "didn't get a code?" On the next screen you'll have an option to get a text. Choose that option. The phone will receive the SMS message silently and automatically (you won't have type it in). If the text has been received successfully the setup simply moves to the next step, which should be terms and conditions.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
He's asking about 2FA on his Apple ID, not other apps or services that are signed in on his phone.

The transition should be fine, but especially if he has other devices other than his phone on the same Apple ID.

My advice would be to make sure he has his recovery codes for Apple ID. Either print them out or have them available on a device that does not depend on Apple ID to sign in.
A recovery code is optional. However, if you choose to use that feature you can no longer use account recovery to reset your password - if you forget your password, lose the recovery code, and do not have access to a trusted device (from which you can reset your password) you're totally out of luck - there will be no way to regain access to the account.

As I see it, the recovery code is a way to prevent anyone else from trying to gain access to your account via account recovery. The problem is, it can also prevent you from regaining access to your own account. I wouldn't suggest using it unless you happen to be a person with a higher-than-normal need for security.

If I was using a recovery code not only would I keep them on a device that does not depend on Apple ID to sign in (as any device can potentially be lost or be otherwise unusable), but I would keep print-outs in at least two separate places - one could be on-premises, the other should be off-premises (bank safe deposit box, etc.). I'd also keep the number in a password-keeping app that stores data in the cloud so that the loss of an electronic device does not result in the loss of the recovery code.

Basically, I would keep that very important "egg" in multiple baskets, some high-tech, some no-tech.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Many thanks for the informative replies.

I have added my home phone as an additional trusted number and also have an iPad to receive the request/codes.

Cheers.

Reactions: Mark Stone

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If you have any other Apple devices signed in with the same Apple ID as your iPhone in question, then the 2FA code notification will pop up on all of them and you can choose which device to use to actually display that 2FA code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.