Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
With the release of iOS 16.4 today, it looks like there is now a 5G SA toggle. I'm curious what everyone's experiences are, is there a noticeable difference in speed or latency by enabling this? Or is it just the same as before and iPhone was always connecting to SA in the background, just that now we have a toggle?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I have T-Mobile US and use it. It’s automatically turned on by default. Download speeds are great like 850 Mbps-1 Gbps, but uploads are dismal at 7 Mbps - 10 Mbps if that. When I turned it off, Uploads are from 15 Mbps - 25 Mbps. I’m in the greater Atlanta area.

Reactions: chriswhi

zonai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Now that is interesting because mine was turned off by default, and I got this prompt when I tried to enable it that said "5G Standalone may affect battery life and reliability of voice and data connection." That to me suggests that this is in fact a new feature being enabled by the update. Some people online have commented that SA was enabled all along and this is just a toggle to turn SA off while keeping NSA on or something like that.
IMG_3058.jpg

Reactions: blueeyes2die4

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Now that is interesting because mine was turned off by default, and I got this prompt when I tried to enable it that said "5G Standalone may affect battery life and reliability of voice and data connection." That to me suggests that this is in fact a new feature being enabled by the update. Some people online have commented that SA was enabled all along and this is just a toggle to turn SA off while keeping NSA on or something like that.
View attachment 2179831
Way back, TMo used to have the SA switch but they removed it about a year ago. When I didn't have it and checked Field Mode, I was always connected to 5GNR. When they lot up 5G SA not that long ago, they re-enabled it. I haven't experienced degraded battery. Voice and data are now enabled using SA too.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Am I missing something? I’m on T-Mobile just updated on iPhone 12 and I don’t see the option.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not available for the iphone 12 series
And will be carrier specific. T-Mobile to be specific.

5G Standalone Support for T-Mobile​

5G iPhone owners who use T-Mobile can turn on a new 5G option that allows them to connect to the carrier's 5G Standalone network.

The 5G Standalone network from T-Mobile launched last November and is expected to allow for connection speeds up to 3Gb/s on Samsung smartphones. T-Mobile could soon expand the faster connectivity option to other devices like the ‌iPhone‌.

chriswhi

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2023
I have T-Mobile US and use it. It’s automatically turned on by default. Download speeds are great like 850 Mbps-1 Gbps, but uploads are dismal at 7 Mbps - 10 Mbps if that. When I turned it off, Uploads are from 15 Mbps - 25 Mbps. I’m in the greater Atlanta area.
Now that a few months have passed, have you noticed any differences?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Now that a few months have passed, have you noticed any differences?
Yes. With standalone turned on, download speeds have significantly increased at time to 850 down but up still seems kinda iffy but a lot improved. I’m waiting to see how the carrier aggregation is when it comes to iPhone.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I am on T-mobile using a iPhone 13 PM and I have the toggle on and I never have experienced being on Stand Alone? I check often and still on NSA with the LTE core? Am I missing something? Naperville, IL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.