Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Is it worth getting the 16GB RAM M4 iPad Pro?

I assume 8Gb can do almost anything? I wonder what is the 16Gb for?
Almost zero use case except in 1 game or 2. I know you can use upwards of 14.9GB in RE 4 Village. But that’s it. Shame on Apple. Pro in the name should be for a ‘singular’ pro gamer for RE 4 Village - iPad version. SMH

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's with entitlement.
The article seems to be from iPadOS 15 and the memory swap was introduced with 16... Anyway, maybe some developers has more precise information...

I wonder how well it works real world, and with which apps.

I'm gonna go with 8 GB, mainly because of the cost, and also because I'm not a heavy iPad user. I really just want the OLED display, lighter weight, and landscape camera, etc. However, if the memory weren't tied to storage, I would have considered 16 GB.
Same here 8GB for M1 was because of cost and because I have several devices. Also because I have come to realize that buying extremely expensive iPads ($2000+) in order to keep them for 7-10 years as the main iPad is not worth it, since after a few years I want to have a newer device anyway to take advantage of new hardware or software features (I don't need the M4 but I want it, will probably not buy it, but I know I'll buy a new iPad pro before my M1 becomes a poor experience, which will probably be because of battery life anyway rather than RAM or CPU not being enough).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Should be easy to test though?

In any case, I see no reason why the new iPad Pros specifically should behave differently from the existing M1/M2 Pros.
I don't have a 16GB device to test. I have done tests between 4, 6 and 8GB RAM devices and the results are than 6 is much closer to 8 than to 4. And I have also heard, but not tested personally, that 16GB reload similarly to 8GB devices....

Reactions: klasma

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The article seems to be from iPadOS 15 and the memory swap was introduced with 16... Anyway, maybe some developers has more precise information...
Oops. Oh I misunderstood the link. That entitlement is for raising the memory cap.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Same here 8GB for M1 was because of cost and because I have several devices. Also because I have come to realize that buying extremely expensive iPads ($2000+) in order to keep them for 7-10 years as the main iPad is not worth it, since after a few years I want to have a newer device anyway to take advantage of new hardware or software features (I don't need the M4 but I want it, will probably not buy it, but I know I'll buy a new iPad pro before my M1 becomes a poor experience, which will probably be because of battery life anyway rather than RAM or CPU not being enough).

At least for me, I bought $2000 iPad Pros because the Pro used to be the only option (apart from buying older model refurb/used) for 1TB storage.

With 1TB now available on the Air, it's now a valid option for me. I'm just hoping FaceID makes its way to the iPad Air before I need to replace my 11" and 13" M1 Pros. I'm happy to stick with LCD anyway (PWM sensitivity).

Reactions: Digitalguy

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The way I figure it, if I get my gift card prediction right, my iPad Pro will effectively cost US$803 before taxes:

iPad Pro 11" 256 GB edu - CA$1249 / US$913
Edu promotion gift card - CA$150 / US$110
Effective price incl. GC - CA$1099 / US$803

To get 16 GB RAM would be crazy:

iPad Pro 11" 1 TB edu - CA$2079 / US$1520
Edu promotion gift card - CA$150 / US$110
Effective price incl. GC - CA$1929 / US$1410

I'm happy to "save" the US$607.

Coincidentally, $1099 is exactly what I paid for M1 Mac mini 16 GB / 1 TB, but I got it used in 2022. I lucked out though since it turns out it only had less than 1 week of power on time on it.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
My I opted for the 256GB model with 4gb of memory on my current 2018 pro and in retrospect I regret not spending more at the time to get the version with more memory.

I went with the 1TB model this time not because I need the storage but because I am skeptical 8GB of memory will still meet my needs 5-7 years, and 5-7 system updates, later. If it is a long term investment that you plan to use for half a decade or more and you can afford it, I say go for a model with 16GB.

Well, these iPads will be quite outdated in 7 years, and I actually think both 8 and 16Gb models will behave similarly (iPads will be so much better 7 years from now). Just the nature of iPad use.

Honestly, while having more RAM is cool and all, this forum does tend to vastly overestimate how much is needed. And in general, I saw people buying 32+ GB RAM for light usage "just because they want to keep their system for 5 years", and that was like 10 years ago.

I'm not saying it's not cool to have more, your iPad will load apps less and it will perform better (if you can afford it - go for it by all means!), but keeping it for 5-7 years shouldn't be a reason to get it. In fact, I'd argue that you could buy the base model now, take the $600 difference, sell it 2-3 years from now and combine it with that difference to buy a new iPad which will certainly perform better and with a fresh battery.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
It's not a Mac, so 8GB should be fine. Adding 8GB from base spec massively increases the price. Just buy another one in a few years.

Reactions: Wags and Digitalguy

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
16GB LPDDR5x RAM
1TB Faster storage
faster CPU for all tasks
higher trade in value when the M5 comes out

its a lot more than just double the ram.

Reactions: terryw1

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Well, these iPads will be quite outdated in 7 years, and I actually think both 8 and 16Gb models will behave similarly (iPads will be so much better 7 years from now). Just the nature of iPad use.

Honestly, while having more RAM is cool and all, this forum does tend to vastly overestimate how much is needed. And in general, I saw people buying 32+ GB RAM for light usage "just because they want to keep their system for 5 years", and that was like 10 years ago.

I'm not saying it's not cool to have more, your iPad will load apps less and it will perform better (if you can afford it - go for it by all means!), but keeping it for 5-7 years shouldn't be a reason to get it. In fact, I'd argue that you could buy the base model now, take the $600 difference, sell it 2-3 years from now and combine it with that difference to buy a new iPad which will certainly perform better and with a fresh battery.
Agreed, while I tend to keep devices for many years, at some point they become secondary devices or I sell them since I'll buy a new one anyway for the new features after a couple of years.
So investing a ton of money on a single iPad does not make sense. I got the maxed out cellular 1TB 2018 only because I found it half price in 2020. For the M1 I got the base model since I know I'll be getting the M4 or M5 at some point when prices make sense. And at that point the specs on a secondary machine become less important, or if you sell it or trade in (I don't trade in) you lose way more on high tier model

Reactions: ipaddaro

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's not a Mac, so 8GB should be fine. Adding 8GB from base spec massively increases the price. Just buy another one in a few years.
For me an iPad with the same RAM as a base Mac is fine for its full life. In the past iPads used to have less than that. The 2018 one had a measily 4GB in a world where 8 was the baseline. Today that world hasn't changed much but we have 8GB iPads (other than the base and mini, which are underspecced in terms of RAM and already suffer and will suffer even more in the future).
8GB should be ok for this decade on iPadOS. If someone get 1TB because they want the storage or the nano display, that's a different story.
The additional core will make no difference on iPadOS.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
8GB should be ok for this decade on iPadOS. If someone get 1TB because they want the storage or the nano display, that's a different story.
The additional core will make no difference on iPadOS.

Exactly. I think you should choose based on your storage (and maaaaybe nanotexture) requirements primarily.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
It would be almost 500€ jump from 512GB -> 1TB model which seems crazymoney if you are only interested to get the 16GB RAM.

iPad Pro would be my most powerful computer, at least for year or two (considering to upgrading my M1 Mini to Mac Studio at some point in the future). I'm planning to move my Final Cut Pro workflow from Mac Mini to iPad Pro (using external display) and thinking if 16GB would be beneficial. I don't really need 1TB storage as FCP on iPad now supports external drives.

Future proofing is nice to consider too (my 7 year old iPad Pro is still functional, but I do feel that 4GB RAM when using Safari with multiple tabs).

losta

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
NY Metro area
I have a similar dilemma. Last week right after the announcement I ordered the 512GB 11" iPad Pro but I am thinking the 1TB might be a better deal especially because of the updated RAM for the long run. I am an avid photographer/traveler and I travel 6-10 times a year, I usually bring an iPad mini along with a 13" M2 MacBook Air when I travel.

I do have other iPads including a 2021 iPad Pro that I am trading in for the new iPad Pro and a 22 iPad Air (I basically keep one near everyplace I sit in my home).

I'm thinking if I got the 1TB for $400 more I could leave the MacBook Air home most of the time...hmm...

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida

Out dated in 7 years? I doubt it. With the industry approaching thermal limitations and the limitations of physics, these iPads should last beyond 7 years. My 10.5 Pro is very much super and snappy. So you’re going to have to clarify what you mean because compute-wise this M4 iPad will be a beast for 7 years plus.

Reactions: Delivered

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Out dated in 7 years? I doubt it. With the industry approaching thermal limitations and the limitations of physics, these iPads should last beyond 7 years. My 10.5 Pro is very much super and snappy. So you’re going to have to clarify what you mean because compute-wise this M4 iPad will be a beast for 7 years plus.

Outdated doesn’t necessarily mean “slow”, but technology will advance tremendously in 7 years. And you will have to replace battery at least once to get good performance out of it.

Either way, we don’t know what’s coming and we can’t say if 8 vs 16Gb will be important compared to, say, advancements in Neural Engine or something else. Saving money now, then selling your iPad and buying a new one in a few years is a better strategy for longevity. If you need 16Gb today, however, that’s a different story - it’s certainly a nice thing to have.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Thinking to finally upgrade from my 2018 IPP but I’m going to wait for WWDC and iPadOS feature announcements. For the way I use my iPad, 8GB of memory is 100% plenty and I think will remain so for 99% of iPad use cases for the next 6 years. That said, if there are some special features coming to iPadOS that finally let us utilize these things to their full potential, that might be a reason to go 1TB/16GB w/ unbinned chip.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
It would be almost 500€ jump from 512GB -> 1TB model which seems crazymoney if you are only interested to get the 16GB RAM.

iPad Pro would be my most powerful computer, at least for year or two (considering to upgrading my M1 Mini to Mac Studio at some point in the future). I'm planning to move my Final Cut Pro workflow from Mac Mini to iPad Pro (using external display) and thinking if 16GB would be beneficial. I don't really need 1TB storage as FCP on iPad now supports external drives.

Future proofing is nice to consider too (my 7 year old iPad Pro is still functional, but I do feel that 4GB RAM when using Safari with multiple tabs).
Reporting back that I just placed order for 13” with 1 TB. 🫡

Reactions: the future

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The "AAA games (e.g. RE4) would benefit from the 16GB" thought briefly crossed my mind.

Then I realized the upgrade would cost like a whole PS5.

It’s hard to use PS5 on an airplane. The $400 would pay for a Steam Deck or open-box Asus ROG Ally though.

Now, I’m actually curious which offers better graphics: RDNA2/3 or Apple M-series. When I played FF7 Remake on Steam Deck and ROG Ally, I pretty much had to use low graphics settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.