Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Well.. :) Anyways, can you tell me the following..

Is there some way I can check if I was able to get that ATV thing installed? How do I check on my phone?

Isn't there a place within the iPhone Settings or using some Tool that I can check for this having gotten installed? How do you verify? In your case what kind of "UI response" did you have when you downloaded this config via Safari?

Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management > Then there should be a profile called tvOS beta.... By Apple Inc.
And yes, there is a UI message when you first open the safari link, telling you if you want to install the certificate.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management > Then there should be a profile called tvOS beta.... By Apple Inc.
And yes, there is a UI message when you first open the safari link, telling you if you want to install the certificate.

Okay this is what I have:

Configuration Profiles:
H2O | Locus
vShare Store | vShare

Enterprise App:
Huawei

And for some reason, maybe one of these or something else - I am not able to install / .mobileconfig files etc. I tried it recently for an MDM thing and that wouldn't work either.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Nothing worse than users who think there is some reason not to update.
That reason would be consumer choice, regardless of how ignorant they may be about security patches. They may reap what they sow (unlikely), but still it should be your choice. There are plenty of good reasons not to update. Being stung by previous updates, being somewhere remote where data availability is low...

What you advocate borders on totalitarianism.

Reactions: Altis

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013

Can you please explain how to do this?

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Can you please explain how to do this?
To fix the issue (daily nag that you can't say "no" to); install the profile provided as a link in the post below.
https://oldcat.me/web/NOOTA9.mobileconfig
Simply click the link in Safari on the iDevice, and it should switch to a profile screen asking for permission to install: do so (you may need to enter your pin code).

Once installed; in that profiles section; there should be an entry titled "tvOS 10 Beta Software Profile".

To revert / disable this profile; navigate to the location in the settings, and click the profile, then delete profile.
Click that link from your Device :)
FYI: If you ever want to remove it, remove it from your certifications.

EDIT: Just in case you don't know what this does: This installs the tvOS (Apple TV 4) program which makes the Device check for a tvOS update for your device, obviously this will never happen so it just displays as no updates available. You can easily remove this in case you want to update. This certificate is from Apple so there will be NO harm to your device, good luck :)

Last edited:

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013
To fix the issue (daily nag that you can't say "no" to); install the profile provided as a link in the post below.
Simply click the link in Safari on the iDevice, and it should switch to a profile screen asking for permission to install: do so (you may need to enter your pin code).

Once installed; in that profiles section; there should be an entry titled "tvOS 10 Beta Software Profile".

To revert / disable this profile; navigate to the location in the settings, and click the profile, then delete profile.

Thank you so much!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, and also making it harder for people really don't want to update to have a choice to ignore the notice.
True. But that's not really something they would care too much about as it's more in their interest to have more people update, and do it sooner as well.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
It's gradually getting more and more pushy and I don't like it. A one time pop-up and a red badge on Settings is enough. Now your only options are "now or later" and if you click later it asks you for a password and pushes a midnight update on you. Thankfully you can cancel at that stage but how long before they take that option away or go with mandatory updates that you can't opt out of?

Not since iOS5 launch have I updated iOS on day one. I take my time and research every iOS update on this forum and how it runs on my particular iPhone before updating. I also like retaining an older iOS on an older device as to keep it from slowing down. I fear Apple is going to go the Win10 way very soon and force updates on every iPhone whether you want to or not, and you could wake up with a new iOS on your device doing who knows what to its functionality.

Wow, I didn't know they do this at desktop os level. Now I have one more reason to keep my Mac on Mavericks;)
[doublepost=1472146958][/doublepost]
You may have to update your computer to 10.9+ in order to use an iOS device with iOS 10 on it. Based on past years, the OS X required goes up with the newest version of iOS because it requires a new iTunes. iOS 8 required iTunes 11.2 which worked on 10.6.8, iOS 9 made a huge jump to 10.8.5.

I don't understand why people are so anti-update. I have never had an update on any Apple device that was catastrophic and made the device completely unusable. Bugs, of course! But nothing that stopped me from completing a task. And this includes Betas as well.

I suggest you look at this issue statistically. The ratings for OS X is apparently on a downward spiral. You might think that people got pissed off are more likely to post a negative review, so the rating is biased. But the pool of user is the same one. And for mountain lion, lion, and Mavericks, the ratings were never this low.
[doublepost=1472147267][/doublepost]
They are making it easier for people to install updates as they have always done.
Well the easiest way is just automatic install the update all by itself. And I can see this would save a lot of posts like this. You don't even get a chance to ask how to shut it shut cause it would ever nag :)
[doublepost=1472147960][/doublepost]

EDIT: Just in case you don't know what this does: This installs the tvOS (Apple TV 4) program which makes the Device check for a tvOS update for your device, obviously this will never happen so it just displays as no updates available. You can easily remove this in case you want to update. This certificate is from Apple so there will be NO harm to your device, good luck :)
I just installed the profile for my 6 on 9.3.3. Thanks for the link. Let's see if this would work.
[doublepost=1472148160][/doublepost]

By the way I am going to send this tip to Cook in case he is annoyed like many people here.

Last edited:

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Update: because of the announced vulnerabilities, I bit the bullet, backed up the phone, and upgraded to 9.3.5 a few days ago.

Now my phone works even worse than it did immediately before the update.

The phone now reboots on its own several times a day. Sometimes it's just sitting there, and it reboots.

It freezes more often. It is slower to react to inputs, sometimes measured in minutes. When I double click on the home button, there are often no images of the apps, and clicking on them does nothing. A new trick: ssometimes I cannot hang up at the end of a call; the phone does not respond when I try to hang up. When I try to do a soft boot (holding down both buttons), I literally have to hold down the buttons for several minutes to make the phone reboot. Sometimes it just goes to Voice Control (I have Siri turned off).

But I guess it's now less vulnerable.

This record of increasingly bad functionality with each software upgrade does not speak well for Apple or my phone.

So, do I reward Apple and buy an iPhone 7 (or 6s), or do I switch to Android? This has become unacceptable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Update: because of the announced vulnerabilities, I bit the bullet, backed up the phone, and upgraded to 9.3.5 a few days ago.

Now my phone works even worse than it did immediately before the update.

The phone now reboots on its own several times a day. Sometimes it's just sitting there, and it reboots.

It freezes more often. It is slower to react to inputs, sometimes measured in minutes. When I double click on the home button, there are often no images of the apps, and clicking on them does nothing. A new trick: ssometimes I cannot hang up at the end of a call; the phone does not respond when I try to hang up. When I try to do a soft boot (holding down both buttons), I literally have to hold down the buttons for several minutes to make the phone reboot. Sometimes it just goes to Voice Control (I have Siri turned off).

But I guess it's now less vulnerable.

This record of increasingly bad functionality with each software upgrade does not speak well for Apple or my phone.

So, do I reward Apple and buy an iPhone 7 (or 6s), or do I switch to Android? This has become unacceptable.
Sounds like something's off about your device. You might want to try resetting all settings, restoring with a backup, and lastly if that doesn't work restoring without a backup. If none of those fix it up, sounds like your device itself has some issues.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Sounds like something's off about your device. You might want to try resetting all settings, restoring with a backup, and lastly if that doesn't work restoring without a backup. If none of those fix it up, sounds like your device itself has some issues.
I would concur that such severe issues are more likely an issue with the device / installation than with the software itself.

Personally; I was going to update (ahead of iOS10), until I found they stopped signing both the prior versions; so there's no possible fallback at all. Apple really don't seem to have much consideration these days.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would concur that such severe issues are more likely an issue with the device / installation than with the software itself.

Personally; I was going to update (ahead of iOS10), until I found they stopped signing both the prior versions; so there's no possible fallback at all. Apple really don't seem to have much consideration these days.
Well, part of it most likely is that they would rather have people on the latest version that patches some fairly bad security exploits (which they don't really want to have open out there).

Reactions: theshoehorn

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I can give you a reason not to update that is completely relevant to this thread:
Previously; you could cancel or opt out of the auto-update.

The nagging on my updated iPad means my iPhone will not be updated.

Apple already had very good update rates. Did they really need to get so aggressive about it?

There are lots of reasons why I choose Apple products. One of the reasons for switching to OS X all those years ago was Windows nagging, which didn't happen with Apple products.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007

According to the Geniuses, the hardware is fine. A restore didn't help.

Compare and contrast this with my upgrade of my MacBook Pro to El Capitan. It went smoothly and the computer now works better in several ways.

dave2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Canberra

THANK YOU!! That is the most helpful post I've ever read!

petershaw_

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
THANK YOU!! That is the most helpful post I've ever read!

thanks in advance ! no more nagging :)

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
For some wierd reason I cannot get this config file to install on my phone via Safari/ Browser.

Earlier I had some Carrier/ Data configs but I cleared out everything to install it and still no dice. Any other path way to install a mobileconfig?

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
BTW, I don't remember if I thanked the person who gave the instructions for stopping the hectoring.

Thank you. It worked. The phone stopped bugging me to update to iOS 10.

I finally gave up on the old phone, and upgraded to an iPhone 7. So far, it works great.

I am still annoyed that updates to the OS should cause such problems. But there's no use tilting at windmills at this point.

julescilib

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Canada
Hey guys, any idea how come this doesn't work anymore? "Profile installation Failed. 'tvOS 10 Beta software profile' is no longer valid." Need your help please for a new link. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.