Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
It appears that Safari ad blocker extensions are currently broken.
Anyone found any workaround for this currently?
I guess the extensions will be updated to take account of whatever Apple has changed before it goes public!

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Which adblocker are you referring to? Besides the system and intrinsic Safari features I run Bloquealos/Frenalos and just tested Adguard - all seem to work fine on 17b3.

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
Interesting. I normally use AdGuard too and also tried AdBlock Plus.
Neither appear to be blocking any ads on various pages, including macrumors.
There is a bug report for AdGuard and had found a few other comments on Reddit as well.

Both the above seem to be OK though on other browsers installed.

I'll have a look at the one you normally use as well.

VigneshB

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2022
India
Seems to be a known issue with iOS 17 and iPadOS 17. Safari on MacOS is working with extensions as usual.

Currently am sticking with Firefox focus’ content blocker in Safari and DNS based adblocker. Won’t block ads served from the same domain, but is kind of better than having all ads being displayed.

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
AdGuard is current version.
Same As @VigneshB just using a secondary browser at the moment which is slightly annoying as no bookmarks, without messing around, but better than ads everywhere!
Looks like that is the only workaround so must be something specific in the Safari changes that have broke it.
manage for couple months I guess until official IOS17 released!

This is the bug report. There are aware of the issue now and there is a work around I’ve noticed:

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Funny thing, I just deactivate everything else and switched to Adguard:

IMG_2619.jpeg

Ads are blocked. That is this arstechnica-page on “How long will the last Intel Macs be supported? macOS Sonoma gives us some hints”.

VigneshB

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2022
India
AdGuard is current version.
Same As @VigneshB just using a secondary browser at the moment which is slightly annoying as no bookmarks, without messing around, but better than ads everywhere!
Looks like that is the only workaround so must be something specific in the Safari changes that have broke it.
manage for couple months I guess until official IOS17 released!

This is the bug report. There are aware of the issue now and there is a work around I’ve noticed:
That workaround requires using Adguard in a pseudo VPN which will break icloud private relay which I prefer to use.
We need to wait till beta 4 where it hopefully gets resolved.
Funny thing, I just deactivate everything else and switched to Adguard:

View attachment 2234203

Ads are blocked. That is this arstechnica-page on “How long will the last Intel Macs be supported? macOS Sonoma gives us some hints”.
It is not completely disfunctional. It is semi-functional wherein it blocks some ads and lets in some others. Also cosmetic filtering doesn't seem to work as seen in your image too where there is a white space in the place of the ad.
There is some issue with the content blocking API which is not getting updated with the necessary filters. It won't be able to block ads using the Advanced Protection option which is required to block more complex ads as in YouTube ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.