Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Is it no longer possible to add any image file to a contact in the Contact app under macOS? I'm sure it was possible to do in earlier version of the system, but now I can't find such an option anywhere.

To specify: I don't mean pictures in the image library, but abitrary image files somewhere on my drive.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Seems as though they've changed things a bit in Monterey (assuming that is the version of MacOS you're using):

To quickly add or change a picture, drag a picture from your desktop or a folder on to the monogram or the current picture in a card, then click Save.
:mad: That's what I tried and that's what's not working. What the hell, Apple?

EDIT: Okay, I found it works when I copy the file to the desktop first. From the original folder? Nada. I repeat: What the hell, Apple??

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Nope. I already tried that but forgot to mention it.
Do you have an iOS device? Copy the image you want over to files, open contacts, and you'll see your contact at the top, click it, click edit, and using the select image or file, add it that way, then it will sync across.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Huh, that's interesting! Apple should've spelled out the process so that users would know to do that to copy the file to the desktop first.
I guess it's a bug. Apple's guide page mentions explicitly that it should be possible from every folder.

Do you have an iOS device? Copy the image you want over to files, open contacts, and you'll see your contact at the top, click it, click edit, and using the select image or file, add it that way, then it will sync across.
I mean, that might work, but sounds like an overly convoluted work-around for an issue Apple caused. (And – as mentioned – I was able to get it work by now.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.