Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macminimess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2022
Hi - this is related to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ssd-upgrade-for-2012-mac-mini.2127375/, but since that doesn't seem to be active, I am starting a new thread.

I have a late 2012 Mac mini (Macmini6,1) that has one hard drive, which is installed in the upper bay, if you are looking at the machine right side up (apple logo on top). I wanted to swap this for an SSD, but having watched many videos on YouTube and IFixIt and elsewhere, and having read through the IFixIt Guides, I am not sure I'm up to the task. Judging from the comments to the IFixIt guide, many users have messed this up (often ruining the IR connector). The problems seem due to having to disconnect things, in order to move the logic board.

I was wondering if I could leave the existing HD in place, in the upper bay, and put an SSD in the lower bay (WITHOUT moving the logic board), after buying the appropriate SATA cable (for the lower bay - part number appears to be 821-1500, on IFixIt).

Does this sound like a workable plan? (In addition to the SATA cable, I would need to buy 2 T8 torque screws to use as mounting pins for the SSD (a Kingston A400 480 GB, already purchased), and some Polyimide tape to go over the connector of the SATA cable.)

Alternatively, if the above plan wouldn't work, would it be possible to put the SSD in a USB-A enclosure, and boot and run MacOS from the external SSD? Or would that be way too slow? The Mac mini late 2012 has USB-A gen 3.0 (up to 5 Gb/s). I plan to use the mini for photo storage, photo and video editing, and web browsing.

The ultimate plan is, I would like to install MacOS (probably Monterey or Ventura) on the SSD using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher, following this guide: https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-keep-older-macs-secure-a-geeky-approach/ .

I believe I can prepare the USB installer from my 2018 mac mini (since the 2012 is now partially disassembled), and work on the SSD after it has been installed inside the Mac mini. (But I'm not entirely sure; I need to re-read this guide carefully!) And then I would reformat the existing HD, erasing all its content. (I don't need the data files, and don't want the current Mac OS; I would just use the drive for extra storage, if needed.)

One additional question - can I have an SSD formatted with APFS and a HD formatted with HFS+ in the same machine?

Thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"can I have an SSD formatted with APFS and a HD formatted with HFS+ in the same machine?"

Yes. No problems with that.

I booted my 2012 Mini from an external USB3 SSD since the day I took it out of the box in January 2013. It was my main Mac for six years, and is STILL booting and running from an external SSD, over on "the back table".

The SSD speeds you get booting externally will probably be in the neighborhood of 80-85% what you would see from an internally-mounted drive. Reads about 420-430MBps. Not "equal to", but not bad, either.

So... if you're worried about damaging something inside... booting from an external is a good way to work around that.

If you already have an SSD "in-hand"...
I used a "bare" 2.5" SSD sitting in a USB3/SATA docking station.
But you could also use a 2.5" external enclosure. I'd suggest getting one that is "USB3.1 gen2", which is fully backward-compatible with "ordinary" USB3.

Or...
You could get something ready-to-use, like this:
I've got one, runs fine with my 2018 Mini and 2021 MacBook Pro 14".
Just use a USBc (drive end) to USB3a (Mac end) connector.

macminimess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2022
Thank you, @Fishrrman! It's really helpful to know that I can boot and run quite efficiently off an external SSD. The Crucial X9 looks great, but I already have the Kingston 400A 480 GB bare drive, so I think I will stick with that. I would have to buy an enclosure to use it externally, and I was thinking of getting the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro-mini/usb-c) -- although the price difference between the X9 and the enclosure is not really that big...

But I've already got the Mac mini opened and partly disassembled (the fan is moved to the side, still connected, and so is the antenna plate), so I can easily access the lower bay (lower if the machine was upright, but on top if you have it upside down), and I think I might be able to put the SSD in place, without moving the logic board, or disconnecting anything else. (Others seem to have managed this.) So I think I might as well try that. Although I will have to buy a lower bay SATA cable, and 2 T8 torx screws to use as mounting pins for the SSD, and shipping will take about a week. And I will buy Polyimide tape. (Luckily, the 2012 is not my main computer; I am using my 2018 Mac mini to type this.) Does it seem reasonable to try this, rather than running with it externally? (Other than the fact that it seems to be a bit difficult to come by the appropriate T8 torx screws.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.