Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TP2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Considering what just happened in Florida (hurricane devastation) has made me worry that Apple requiring TFA could be a very bad idea. What if I am unable to receive a code (no cell service etc.) and trying to find things in the wreckage of my home using Apple's very expensive Air Tags? What would I do if I were in such a situation. Would my Air Tags be useless to me?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Not sure I'm really following. What does 2FA have to do with AirTags? Assuming you still have your phone in your hand, 2FA is not needed to find your AirTags. If you're without your phone or need to set up a new one, then you probably have bigger issues to worry about.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
If your home is gone, what do you expect to find ? I’ve spent the majority of my life living south of I-10.
Always had a plan. Anything that meant anything to me came with us. I’m not going through the emotions of digging through wreckage . I now live in Houston and feel pretty safe.

Air Tags are 4 for $100. I really don’t consider that expensive. AirTags don’t require two factor. Pull the paper, bring it near your iPhone, follow the prompts, and bam it’s set up. Find My, under items.

Reactions: chabig

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
2FA wouldn't come into play at all,
your bigger issues would be water damage to the tag itself, and possible complete loss of cell service, meaning tags locations wouldn't update, since there no way for the other apple devices to send the updated location.

as long as the tag is still in working order, and your phone has a charge, you can use the precise location feature, even without cell service or an internet connection. The only limitation is you need to be fairly close to use the feature. As long as your house isn't too far from where it used to be, you should be able to find your things.

the only time you'd have to worry about 2FA is if you needed to re-log into your phone, which you should only need to do if you've just got a new phone. and in theory, if there is enough infrastructure to purchase a new phone, there should be enough to get your 2FA code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.