Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplydat

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Ever since I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 6.1 from 5.1.1 I can no longer airplay embedded YouTube videos in safari in sleep mode/screen off or in multitask(safari in the background)

I also tested Google YouTube app. The stream also stops at 2min mark or whenever my automatic screen lock kicks in.

I had this problem as well before with an earlier version of iOS, 5.0.1 or iOS 4... Can't remember. But it was addressed in 5.1.1.

But now with iOS 6, I have to go back use the old workaround where I set automatic screen lock to never to keep videos streaming.

My iPhone 4 which is still on iOS 5.1.1 can still do I wanted to do. So I can 100% confirm it has to do with iOS 6.

Can anyone else confirm this? Is this a bug or a feature Apple decided to forgo(again)

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Airplay doesn't work for youtube when I minimise it.

I always thought it was an issue of google being lazy and not coding their app properly, since Jasmine and air-video do in fact support background airplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.